2nd Vs 3rd season

Foreverwest

I'm pretty new to this forum. I probably have been spending too much time reading and looking at the pics on here but it's an awesome outlet for hunters! I wish I would have known about the amount of involvement on here from people for the past 10 years. I probably could have avoided some mistakes in my hunting ventures. So I'll get to my question. What do you guys think, 2nd season deer or 3rd. I have done both but am a little soured on 3rd because I feel like it was more racing around trying to catch deer in openings as opposed to actually hunting them in their home drainages and habitats in the 2nd season. I know weather dictates a lot, but what are others experiences? Is it worth the wait for 3rd season?

I suppose it depends a lot on the unit and the weather. I hunt only in south central Colorado for deer and elk. I like 3rd season for elk and for that reason I hunt both during 3rd. If I was only hunting deer, I would do 4th season.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

I've hunted both with mixed results. It depends on the weather. Some guys swear by the 3rd season because you're approaching the rut. Once we hunted unit 11 in the 3rd season and didn't do well. The bucks had been hammered in the 2nd season as they had snow. It was hot, dry, and the moon was full. Last year, we hunted 23 2nd season, saw lots of does, but no bucks until late in our hunt when it snowed and they started to come out. Two years ago, we hunted 12, 2nd season and saw lots of bucks the whole season. One thing you can predict is the moon phase. Avoid the full moon.

i think a couple big factors are what kind of country are you hunting? public or private ,how much time do you have to scout, and how well do you know the unit. otc elk hunters can be a game changer as well. all things aside a little rut action can't hurt!

Depends on the area and deer you're hunting. Some of them will be in the same area during archery that they'll be in come 3rd/4th season, others not so much.

Thanks for the info guys. I was just curious what others thought. My 2nd season hunt in 54 was a good one a number of years back but a recent hunt in 61 3rd season seemed more of a "luck" hunt hoping to catch a big guy out on a Mesa.

I think a lot depends on the cover, weather, and pressure. If the weather is warmer and there is a lot of cover, both seasons can be tough, though hunting 3rd in that situation might get more of the bucks out in the open searching for does. 2nd season can be good if the weather is right, as you are getting a crack at bucks before 3rd season hunters. If you get some weather to boot, you could have a great hunt on your hands. In general, bucks tend to move more closer to the rut (no secret). Big bucks will sit tight in pressured areas well into late October/early November; they'll let hunters nearly step on them before they move. They'll pick spots where they have a sight and wind advantage, and they'll have an easy escape route out of the area. Even in areas with decent deer numbers and low pressure, warm weather can make for a very tough hunt. Then, it's a matter of knowing where big bucks hang out before the rut kicks in, and having the patience to find them. In areas with abundant cover, it can be nearly impossible to find them in those conditions.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom