3 coyotes down!

cjg_beef

Well my buddy Rob and I decided we needed to go and get his new .17 WCH broken in with it's first kill. We decided to go to an area we normally only get to call maybe once a season but usually really late (January/February). First stand right at daylight was a blank. Second stand had us overlooking a large sage flat. After four minutes on the Rabid Rabbit Extreme we had one charging in hard. I had told Rob that he had the first shot regardless of where the coyote was until he got the first with his new gun. Well this coyote was heading straight for me and closing fast. I had the crosshairs on him and was just waiting for Rob to shoot. At about 20 yards from me Rob let the .17 WCH bark and the coyote was lights out. The coyote looked like an average sized coyote until Rob picked him up. Needless to say it was a good test for the WCH because this is probably the smallest coyote it'll ever shoot. It only had a pinhole in and no exit. Good shooting Rob.
IMG_6359.jpg

Stand two was so blazing hot because we were facing into the sun so we made it pretty short. No coyotes called or seen.

Stand three had us overlooking some fresh cut fields and sage pockets. Rob was on the Rabit Rabbit and after his first series we had a big coyote coming hard with his tough hanging out. The whole time he was coming in I kept thinking that there was something strange about him but couldn't quite put my finger on it. The coyote closed in to about 15 yards before I let the old .223 bark and my first of the day was down. When I got closer I realized what was wrong...
I've seen coyotes with bobtails before but never a coyote without a tail at all. This was a first for me and Rob.
IMG_6360.jpg

Pretty health older coyote.
IMG_6362.jpg

The next stand was only over the next rise about 400 yards away but it had us overlooking a large sage flat with some shaded draws. At about the 3 minute mark we had one coming in and before we could stop him in an opening he was climbing up the small rise we were sitting on. The sage was pretty thick and he was getting really close. Well it all worked out and he stopped in an opening about 10 yds from me and I let the .223 bark on its second coyote of the day.

We ended up calling it quits at about 10:00 because it was getting too pushing 90 degrees.

Not too bad for a quick hunt.
IMG_6365.jpg

Thanks for the story, sure gets me excited to get out and call. That one dog looks like a pup? Good to see they really are leaving the mothers side.....

ABWD...I think all those yotes on the side of the road are from beefy...he is knockin the crap out of 'em...as we all should be. Nice effort boys and thanks for share the yote pile.

HK

Actually Rob and I won't be at the World this year. Rob won't be able to get the time off and $$ is a little tight for me. Sure wish we could make it because it's a good time. Hopefully next year! Kerry Carver is teaming up with Tony Tebbe this year since his boy can't get the time off either.

Congrats! planning on going out this next weekend so hopefully will have some pics and a story to tell. Keep knocking them dead!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom