3 months and counting

mulecreek

Very Active Member
Since my wife is tired of hearing me talk about it I thought I would annoy you all. It's 3 months until I leave on my first sheep hunt and I can hardly stand the wait. I have a 3 week sheep, grizz and moose hunt in Alaska. Staying in shape by running 3 miles every other night and hiking to the top of White Mountain behind the house on the off nights. Still nervous that regardless of what I do I will not be ready. Any advice from the experienced sheep hunters?

Already had just about everything I need for the hunt other than I still need to pick up a new sleeping bag. The outfitter wants to see a synthetic rather than the down bag I typically use for back pack hunts. The wife has been supportive of the whole hunt. Only request she had was that I call her at least once. The outfitter has a sat phone with each guide and said I can use it every night if I wish.

I hope to be sending along some great pics in about 4 months.

I dont think your annoying anyone here. Love to see people excited for a hunt, esp they're first sheep hunt. Im in the same boat as you, this Sept Ill be going on my first sheep hunt too.

I'm happy for you both!
How could you annoy sheep hunters by talking about being excited about sheep hunting?
I'll be keeping an eye out for the great reports and field photos!

Mule, I've usually been in pretty good shape but I've always felt that actually backpacking with weight is a better workout for a backpack sheep hunt than anyting else you could do.

Last year I took my own advice and spent most of my time actually hiking mountains with my backpack (less time pounding the pavement). By the time the end of July rolled around I was ready to really enjoy the hunt rather than worry about my conditioning. It turned out to be a pleasant, yet tough, 12 days in the mountains!

Best of luck guys and feel free to "annoy" us any time you want!
Zeke

Good motivational and focus post. I too will be in AK in 3 months on a backpack Dall hunt. I dont run, but rather hike with my pack and mtn bike in the Eastern Sierras to get into sheep shape. At every cramp, pain, or episode of sucking air I think dall sheep, dall sheep!

Hope your hunts are good ones.

Your comments will only bug those who have not experienced what you are about to! I relate totally to your excitement of heading out after sheep. My NWT dall hunt was a life changing experience. I too worried about being in shape and as Zeke suggested, I also backpack hiked as often as I could. Looking back, the only thing I would do differently is add more weight at times to my backpack workouts. Nothing can prepare your legs and back for carring 80-100lbs of camp and meat more than doing it a bit during your workouts.
The other suggestion is ABSOLUTELY use trekking poles and get to know how to use them before the hunt.
With all the weight in rock and moss, etc. they kept me on my feet rather than my keester. I also learned how to pull myself with my upper body and it literally adds two additional legs to your climbing. I originally thought poles were only for "sissies". Now I use them every chance I get. They are always part of my hunting gear.
Keep us posted and feel free to engage us in your preparation!
Best of luck. I am excited for you...and jealous.

I totally agree with LBH.

I started using poles when I began doing rim to rim trips through the Grand Canyon....years ago. I've since used them on many sheep hunts.
They are a standard part of my gear now, every bit as essential as my boots!
Good catch there LBH.
Zeke

Congratulations! You've probably worked very hard to be able to go on such a trip. I hope you enjoy it. As far as advice goes...

Buy new boots now and start to rotate them into your hiking regime so they are broken in for the hunt but not broken down.

Down vs synthetic? Unless you're going to be moving camp every day the advantages of Down won't be apparent. We're talking about Alaska so its not a matter of if it will rain, but how much.

Take a small kitchen sponge. When they're dry they don't weigh a thing. If you're stuck in a tent day after day because of rain they come in handy for "bailing". When you're washing your hands in cold streams blood and bear fat comes off easier with a little scrubbing and they help soap go a little farther. A problem you hope to have. When you have a high mountain stream three inches deep to bathe in a sponge helps.

Take two or three feet of Duct Tape off the roll and wrap it around something you're taking along such as your pack frame, toothbrush handle, etc. It comes in handy for repairing torn rain gear, blisters, covering rifle bores, etc.

That's enough free advice for now. GOOD LUCK!

Sounds like your on the right track and have all the right gear.

One of the most important things is mental toughness, you can be in the best shape of your life but if you don't mentally prepare the hunt will go south in a hurry. Good luck to you and can't wait for the updates!!

ridgelineoutdoors.com

Thanks for the good advice from all. I have been using trekking poles since last fall. I typically just use one and I found a thread on head in v shape to replace the ball so i can use it as a monopod if neccasary.

The sponge is a good idea. Looking at a Big Agnes for a new bag.

I need to do some repair work to my pack. After a trip to the groomers this winter my wife left the dog in the garage and he got a hold of it. The blood stains were too much for him. He ate a corner of one pocket and broke a zipper. The wife is the sewing leader for the local 4H so she should be able to patch it up.

The mental part is what I have been concentrating on the most. To be honest I stay in pretty good shape between winter snowshoeing, spring bear and summer backpack trips. All my hunting in the lower 48 has been DIY. Starting to lose count of the number of elk I have deboned and packed on my back in the last 5 years. That part I think I am as prepared as I am going to get. The mental part is going to be the killer. I dont care who you are 3 weeks is a long time to stay at the top of your game. Between missing my kids, wife, work I think it is inevitable that it will get to me eventually.

mulecreek,
Everyone has their own style so if one pole works for you, so be it. For me, pulling with both arms makes a night and day difference.
I took a Big Agnes bag on my trip. It has only a pad slot on the bottom for reduced weight. It worked great for my hunt, given the weather was not cold. I don't know if it would work as well on a hunts later in the year.
Mentally, you can do it mulecreek! It is a once in a lifetime hunt, but it is meant to be fun. Enjoy everything about it. Just being in the country is worth the price of admission. Bagging game is only icing on the cake!

LBH said "Bagging game is only icing on the cake!"

True but it's the sweetest part of the cake for sure. It's also not a cake without frosting!

I say "It's only an expensive camping trip without the sheep horns in the backpack on the return trip"! I should know! LOL

Get your head right long before you go. I've hunted sheep a bit and I still need some self-talk on the really tough days. Don't kick yourself if you get down. Just take an easy day (and glass your ass off) then get back on task!

Now I'm even getting excited for you!!!

Zeke

Use BOTH trekkers and a spring loaded one will ease elbow and shoulder pain. I would never shoot off those singles. Get a good bipod or snipod. Have fun and we want to see pics.

I leave for my Dall Sheep hunt in the NWT 7 weeks from today. I can hardly wait!! Mulecreek, it sounds like you'll be hunting Moose and Griz as well. If you have a choice in the matter I would concentrate on the sheep first and leave the others until last. My brother and I hunted Dall sheep together back in 2006. We both passed on a very large caribou as getting it out would have cut at least one full day out of our sheep hunt. It turned out that we need that extra day as my brother took his sheep on the last day of the hunt. Three weeks in Alaska would be incredible. Good luck on your hunt. I look forward to seeing your report when you get back.

Sheepfever,

We start with sheep and then move to grizz. Some times sheep and grizz can be taken from the same camp. If sucessful on those two then we fly to a different camp for moose. The outfitter was very upfront that taking two of the three is the usual outcome and occasionally all three are taken but everything, including me, has to work perfectly for that to happen.

Good luck on your NWT sheep hunt. That is another dream destnation for myself.

Mulecreek,

Just play lots of soccer, it helps me. I'm sure your boys will help you out with it.

Not annoying anyone here. There are several that have and do hunt sheep regularly here. Even for me that has never hunted them and may never have the opportunity it is not annoying. Love the stories, posts and trials that we see here.

What a hunt it sounds like you are in for. Enjoy the total hunt and try not to put to much pressure on ourself that you cannot enjoy it. I know Zeke stated it as a expensive camping trip if not successful, but it is still hunting and not a gerantee. I now that just the expense of this trip puts alot of pressure on one, but WOW, Alaska for three weeks, a person cannot go wrong there.

Keep us all posted.

>Mulecreek,
>
> Just play lots
>of soccer, it helps me.
>I'm sure your boys will
>help you out with it.
>

HM2146,

If I could keep up with those two then I would have nothing to worry about.

Sheep talk has been slow lately so I thought I'd resurrect this post. The summer has flown by and I am now two days away from leaving for my Dall sheep hunt. I can hardly believe it. I packed my backpack for the second time last night. Took a few things out to cut weight and hope to have it down to under 40 lbs including gun and ammo. My wife thinks I'm nuts, I usually don't pack until the night before a trip, but start pack three months ahead of time for a sheep hunt. While its not my first sheep hunt, I seem to get just as nervous every time.

Sheep season is upon us, at least for the northern latitudes... and will be here in a blink for elsewhere.

Good luck Mr Sheepfever and all you other lucky dedicated hunters who will be chasing curly horns this year! My thoughts will be with you until your return and report.

Best,
Zeke

Enjoy your hunt. Ive been reading Jack O'Connors, Sheep and Sheep Hunting Book. Just about done with it now, anyone who needs a "sheep fix", I highly recommend reading it to help with a daily fix of sheep medicine.

Sheepfever,

Looking forward to the stories and pics. Have fun and good luck. You are doing better than me on pack weight. I am higher than 40 with water and ammo but no gun. I printed out my harvest tickets the other day and got my locking tags in the mail. All that's left is more hiking and target practice. I managed to drop 30 lbs, another 10 or 15 to be happy.

Oh the things we do for ovis hunting!

Last night I was on the phone with a friend who leaves in 11 days and he will follow sheepfever into the NWT.

He's so excited that he can hardly sleep. He's put himself through h-e-l-l to get into sheep shape, losing 40 lbs along the way. He's ready!

Poor me, here I sit with a general spike tag in my pocket! lol

Again, best you all my MM friends who have a sheep hunt this year. I'm excited for you all!

Zeke

Zeke,
I'm in the same sinking sheep ship as you this year. I did my best to satisfy my mountain lust by backpacking 50 miles in the Wyoming Wind Rivers this past week. We caught some dandy Golden Trout, but now I'm in sheep shape with no place to go!

Go figure

Here we sit with "lead in our pencils and nobody to write to". LOL

LBH,
I rubbed my crystal ball and I see a sheep hunt in both our futures. You will have a tag next year... or else! My son is really close...maybe next year, or the year after.

You could always spike OTC hunt with me!

Zeke

Zeke,
My little sharpie is pretty low on lead and mostly just doddles!

I am resigned to waiting ONE more year. Hopefully there are a couple of decent rams left for Zach and me to hunt.
I appreciate the OTC spike offer. We'll probably just chase em with our stick flippers.
I'll try to email you some pics of our trip to the Winds.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom