3 Sons, 3 Bucks - 2019 Hunting Adventures and Video

Rimrock

Like most years, I spend much of my free time in the summer and fall scouting and hunting bucks in the high country with my children. We share a passion for the backcountry and love spending time together in the mountains. At age 52, I recognize that I'm not getting any younger and that my days of hunting the way I do now - with a pack on my back, miles from the nearest road, and up near the timberline - are numbered. I know that Father Time will eventually win the battle, that I'll gradually slow down, that I'll have to change my approach to hunting, and that I'll ultimately be left with just memories of the "good old days". Each passing year, I do what I can to postpone the inevitable. And each year, it becomes more difficult to stay in shape, but I work at it. Facing the realities and challenges of aging has turned out to be a blessing in disguise for me. It has caused me to be more disciplined in my lifestyle and helped me stay motivated during the off season.

I also recognize the importance of passing along the tradition, skills, and knowledge I've acquired over the decades to the rising generation. While the sight of a crafty old buck still gets my heart pumping, and while I still love the challenge of outsmarting an old monarch, I'm finding it's just as enjoyable watching my children learn, grow, and succeed. That's what the 2019 hunting season brought to my family.

Because of the mild winter and wet spring, I had fairly high expectations coming into the summer and fall. I was optimistic about antler growth and buck numbers. But, what I saw on the mountain didn't match my expectations. We saw fewer bucks than previous years and they were scattered. I don't know if deer numbers were actually down or if they were just dispersed at different elevations or hiding in overgrown cover. Either way, it turned out to be a more difficult year than normal turning up the older age-class.

But, we burned the boot leather, put in the miles, and spent hours behind the glass, anyway. And, we eventually found a few good ones to chase. While my daughter and I came up empty during our hunts (despite a few missed opportunities) each of my 3 sons found a buck they liked, figured out how to get within range, made a clean kill shot, recovered the buck, processed the meat themselves, and packed it out (many miles) on their backs. All this, while I tagged along, watched them work, and added a few pointers along the way. I thoroughly enjoyed watching my sons figure things out on their own. Overcome challenging obstacles. Think through situations. And ultimately succeed in taking the biggest bucks of their lives. I can't decide if it was more rewarding to watch them succeed than it is to tag my own trophy ... I'm pretty sure it was.

Another tradition we have is to compile the photos and videos we take along the way into a family video we can look back on to remember and reminisce on our adventures. I share the video below with you to give a glimpse into our 2019 hunting escapades.

Perhaps, you'll enjoy it while you ponder on your next adventure.

Rimrock

Last edited by a moderator:
Best hunting video I've seen in a long long time. Congrats to your 3 sons for not only harvesting great bucks, but for working hard for them all the while learning some valuable lessons. Great work Dad for teaching them how and letting them work for their rewards. They will remember forever. I, too, have 3 sons that I've tried to do the same.

Amazing adventure and great video. Looks like you guys had some really good times hunting this season.
What state?

Excellent video! So cool you captured your memories in a film that your family can reflect back on forever. Well done!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom