30/31/32 elk units?

mickeyelk

Very Active Member
I've been pondering on which one of these I'll be applying for this year. I have max points and I know the draw odds are not all that great but the question I have is which is the best secluded area to hunt. I don't mind hiking back in. My choice now would be 32 but I really don't know allot about these units. I plan on hunting archery season and do most of my scouting then. Will alos be scouting for future deer hunting in 102. Any ideas!

I don't think there is a place in any of those units you can get "seclusion".Too many roads.You hike back in too far,you'll just find another road.

I would say that 30&31 are superior to unit 32. Just like nontypical said, there really aren't too many places that a guy can get away from a road. Then again, that's also a good thing when you can usually load an elk whole into a truck!

Best of luck to you in the draw!

The odds of drawing 30 and 32 are a little better than 31, but good luck on that secluded area.

i like the sagebrush better in 31. 30's sagebrush isn't half as good as 31 and 32? Well 32 wishes it had the sagebrush 31 had but deep down inside would settle for the sagebrush in 30.

If you're really into being upset and frustrated at the lack of ethics, and respect for others, any of these three areas are exactly what you're looking for. Seriously, there is nowhere to hide, I've been there. The popularity is due to the ease of access, and there are roads everywhere. IMO there are better areas, with better odds of drawing. Do some research on draw odds vs. harvest index on the Wy game and fish site. Hope this helps....

LAST EDITED ON Jan-23-10 AT 11:44AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-23-10 AT 11:32?AM (MST)

mickeyelk, I hunted deer several years ago in 102 so I think that is elk unit 32. I did see some OK 6pt bulls. But like the guys here have said, not many places to get away from roads in the area. And enough quad trails busted into areas that do not have jeep roads.

----------------------------------------
Measure wealth by the things you have,, for which you would not take money.

I've been looking into unit 32 also. I was checking the draw odds over untis 30 and 31 and it was alot better. The maps I,ve looked at show alot of roads there. I was looking at archery over the rifle before alot of people start to hunt it. The harvest sucess is great with 70 to 75% but I don't know what the percentage of that is on a mature bull. Eveyone looks for a big bull to take but I was wondering what are the odds at a bull 300 to 320 might be ? Any more info would be great. Thanks Marc

>I've been looking into unit 32
>also. I was checking the
>draw odds over untis 30
>and 31 and it was
>alot better. The maps I,ve
>looked at show alot of
>roads there. I was looking
>at archery over the rifle
>before alot of people start
>to hunt it. The harvest
>sucess is great with 70
>to 75% but I don't
>know what the percentage of
>that is on a mature
>bull. Eveyone looks for a
>big bull to take but
>I was wondering what are
>the odds at a bull
>300 to 320 might be
>? Any more info would
>be great.
>
>Thanks Marc

The draw odds for this area are definately the most promising, and archery is for sure the way to go for a chance at a "decent" bull, but unless you've hunted this area before, or have someone with area experience to help you, don't expect anything over a raghorn. This area has great access, and some good bulls, but it borders Utah and Colorado, and the elk know where the border is....and they go there.

Areas 30,31 and 32 are in deer area 102.
What you generally find in these areas during the archery season, is alot of people who've never bow hunted before, but want to get the most time in the field, which is great, but they want to hunt from a p/u or 4-wheeler, like they do with a rifle, and the animals are keen to this. They hear a vehicle, and the bugling, rutting action stops.....personal experience, be prepared to have your carefully planned stalk, calling sequence, or whatever ruined several times by these "bow hunters".

Best of luck in the draw.
Jbo

i hunted 31 this past season. it was the most fun i have ever had on any hunt. didnt have any problems with other guys either. most guys stick to the roads but that is because its hard to get far from a road.

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com
Blacks-Creek Packs Dealer

Travis, Thanks for the info. Did you rifle or archery hunt? I was wondering what size of bulls are coming off those units. The harvest rates are very high and I don't know if that has alot of raghorn bulls in those numbers. I mean I'll be scouting alot if I draw a tag but I have not been on any of those units before. I was just wondering what to expect as quality of bulls ? Thanks again everyone for alittle info. Marc

Travis thanks for the reply. I'am not sure how to retreive a personal message? Thanks again Marc

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom