30 units

sagehunter

who thinks the 30 units will help the deer heard? I DONT.. I dont think it dose enuff. i would do 50 plus units. some for the shoot em alls(meet hunters) a few for the guys that want the average bucks and some more units to shoot big bucks. in the unit i hunt (if it was me) i would have at least 5 units but for now there is only one. if u have a unit that has a mountain or area that has little to no deer why not make it its own unit until the population comes back.imop

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-12 AT 10:35PM (MST)[p]>thats why your not in charge
>

lol u are probably right. but what i was trying to say is that we have some areas with little to no deer why not shut them down until the deer come back.9i am talking small areas that hold few to little deer that in the past held a decent herd

LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-12 AT 05:34AM (MST)[p]Sagehunter... your right. The 30 deer unit split really won't do anything for the herd. And the reason is... The Units are too damn big. If you were really going to manage how many hunter were harvesting deer from a population you would use the old deer herd management unit that the DWR used up until the middle 80's or so. This unit map identified 89 deer units in the state. The map was based on "real" habitat units. In other words, where the deer summered and where the deer migrated to to spend their winter months. Deer are very habitual that way. They don't do a lot of lateral or random migration.

As a for instance... If you were really going to manage the Manti Mountain, which is a huge unit (currently know as Units 12/16B/16C) you have the same problem, or perceived problem, that you had with the previous 5 units in the state. That is no control over individual geographic biologically contained units. If you were going to manage based on the number of deer that you are going to remove, or not remove from that area you should (according to the old map) really have 13 units designated for that area.

Under the old "capitalistic" deer hunting system of letting hunters go where they wanted you had the "law of diminishing returns" to manage your herd. In other words... If I found deer on mountain X I would probably come back next year. If I didn't I would move over to mountain Y next year.

Under the new system mountain X is going to get "THIS" number of permits and those hunters are going to be there to hunt those deer come hell or high water. You have to... you can't go anywhere else! Period. So if the DWR is not extremely vigilant in the number they are issuing on these units you could be locked into over or under hunting the unit.

...and I'm going to throw out a hypothetical question here. These are just out of my hat numbers, they are not factual and for demonstration purposes only. It takes money to run a deer herd. So... Let's say the DWR is currently selling 90,000 tags and they are budgeting for that. Now, deer herd unit X is determined to be under the harvest quota so we have to reduce hunters, or worse close that unit. Are they going to shift that 10,000 or 15,000 tags and increase the pressure on other units to pay the bills, or are they going to eat them and fire a few biologist next year... or maybe take away the truck and make them ride bicycles... or raise the license cost to cover that years short fall?

sage i was just razzin ya a bit. Thing is we dont know what this 30 units will do yet. i am betting it wont do much but we never give any plans a chance to work. every year there is a new 5 year deer plan. I think if we wanna do our part then go kill some cats and dogs.

Amen ox. We need to hammer the predators every year for the next 5 years and we will steadily see deer numbers increase. Then hammer the predators for the next 5 after that and after that and so on.

The units won't do crap for the herd. By drawing a line in the sand wont grow deer. If so, my kids sand box would be covered with deer.

The problem with predator control in reference to coyotes is, you can not hunt them enough. We are still aerial gunning, we are openly sport hunting them and the trappers are catching as many as they can each year. Until you bring back something that puts pressure on them around the clock (i.e. something like 1080) you will not be able to put enough suppression on them.

4 points or better on one side unless you are a youth? Wish I knew the answer. Hope they figure it out!

Seen a coyote out prowling the winter range on the Wasatch front this morning while out shed hunting. He looked way to healty!

Read the testimonials on either the mule deer forum or the general forum. VERY INTERESTING. I agree 100% with those. Kill as many predators as possible year in and year out, then we might see some deer come back. I dont care if its poison, trapping, airiel shooting or what ever. BUT IT NEEDS TO HAPPEN!

I don't have all the answers but it seems like right when we get the 30 units and a higher mandated buck to doe ratio the F&G is talking about lowering the the ratio before we even give it a chance to help the herd.

There's no doubt that does drop the fawns later in areas where the mature buck numbers are depressed. There are areas where the HERD could benefit from an increase of bucks.

As for the predators, we need to all make an effort. If each of us killed just 1 more coyote each year it would help. 1080 is the way to go but someone in their false-wisdom was afraid it killed too many hawk and house pets.

God bless the trappers and the predator hunters!

Zeke

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom