300 mag vs 300 wsm

deadI

Very Active Member
Okay guys. Which one and why? It would be for both deer and elk.

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

They are both Good Calibers!
And which 300 mag you talkin?
The 300 WSM is a hard hitting gun & shoots better than I figured it would!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

My 300 win mag loads are a 100-200 fps faster than my 300 WSM. That doesn't really amount to much. The WSM is a more efficient burn, and you can get it in a shorter action making a lighter gun, just a little slower. Both guns are more than enough for deer and elk. I like 180g Accubonds or 180g Barnes BTTX if your gun will shoot them.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-10 AT 06:31PM (MST)[p]I shoot a 300wsm and absolutely love it. I have friends who use the 300 mag and it works for them. I've found a 168 grain Barnes TSX bullet is a sweet round for my wsm.

So close there's not much difference other than price of bullets. As stated above the regular win mag is easier to find bullets for and cheaper to buy bullets for. I shoot the 300 win mag and absolutely love it!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

When the 300wsm came out I was sure I had to have one. It took a few years, but I finally got one. Looking back, I'm not really sure why I wanted one, but I suspect it was all the hype I read about thing. "Efficient powder burn", "lighter action", ect . . . I haven't really had any trouble finding bullets for mine, and haven't had any trouble killing with it, same as I didn't with the old .30-06. In the end, it comes down to what you shoot comfortably, as there isn't a critter in the world that cares about which caliber they get shot with!

The difference is how many shots you can shoot through it and still hold it steady. I can get roughly 9 or 10 out of my 300 win/mag but I can shoot 50 rounds through my WSM and still be good to go. The FPS issue is not that big of a deal. It is minute compared to other things. If you put a muzzle break on the end of it you can shoot that thing all day long. 180 gr Federal is what I shoot through both of mine and they both shoot great. If I had to choose one over the other it would be a 300wsm.

It's always an adventure!!!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-10 AT 08:34PM (MST)[p]Weight is the biggest reason I chose my 300WSM over the longer action 300 Win. Mine is a Stainless Browning A bolt and it is the best carrying rifle I have owned. After a few long days of hunting/hiking, I determined that I will never go back to a heavier rig.
I roll my own bullets so my price is actually less for WSMs because they burn less powder.
I shoot 168 Barns TTSX and with my tactical scope I can accurately shoot farther than I think is ethical.
I think it is a sweet ride!

I have two 300 Win Mags and 3 different 300 WSMs. I handload and shoot all of my loads over an Oehler 35P chronograph. Ballistically, there isn't a nickels worth of difference. Shooting 180 grain TSXs for example, the 5 guns all shoot within a 100 fps, but the fastest and slowest rifle use the same case headstamp. When I change powders or bullets, a differnt rifle has the fastest load, but again, all pretty close together.
The biggest differences are in the rifles, not in the balllistcs. My Kimber MT in 300 WSM is the lightest of the 5, and a great little mountain gun. It hits me harder than all the rest, but is a couple pounds lighter than my Win 70 Supergrade in 300 Win Mag, so this is to be expected. I love my supergrade, so still hunt with it a bit, but for remote backcountry hunts I tend to the lighter rifle. The rest fall in between, and I have a gorgeous 300 WSM that is really a work of art, but almost too nice to hunt with. I used the other 300 Win Mag (Kimber alos) on my elk this year, and am starting to really like it as well. I have chosen to select loads (150 grain TSX in the Kimber MT, 180 gr TSX in the Kimber 300 Win) that suits each rifle well, and suited to the game I am likely to pursue when carrying each rifle.
Handle the specific rifles in question, think about your hunting situation, and be happy with either cartidge. They really are very equivalent.
Bill

Probably just my imagination but I own both a 270 Winchester (old one) and an A-bolt 300 Win Mag. We got my grandson a 270 wsm that he's allowed me to shoot a time or two and I've tried a friend's 300 wsm. It seems to me the recoil is sharper on the 2 wsm than it is on the older rifles. The old models seem to have more of a push than a whack. Then again different stocks make a big difference for me too. For instance, I really like Ruger products, great quality and actions but Ruger rifles rock me like no other. Same with those old and wonderful Savage levers, I think they're about as aesthetic looking gun as has ever been made but the ones I've had made my eyes water every time I pulled the trigger.

In as much as the ballistics aren't that different I think I'd try to shoot a couple of different models, then buy the one that fits your saddle.

Your welcome to put a few round throw my 300 Win Mag if you have occasion to be down in Sevier Co. before you decide. I'll even throw in a few free rounds for ya!

DC

Go with the 300 ultra mag. These are the entry holes on my elk this year. (the first shot would have taken care of him but I got a little excited)

71942010_elk_hunt_013.jpg

As others have said the 300 win mag can be pushed a little faster. all the 30 magnums are good rounds .

When I had my custom rifle built 8 years ago I do most of my hunting with I chose 300 win mag, if I had it to do over again I wouldn't change .

300RUM all the way for me. All the other guns sit in the safe and collect dust. I use it on anything from antelope to Alaska/Yukon moose. Just my opinion. I cannot comment on the 300WSM, never had one, never shot one.

I had similiar questions like yourself. I realize the "other" caliber may have slightly better performance. However, when I looked at the cost of ammo (at least double I believe) and also the availability, I am glad I went with the WIN Mag and would never change my decision. I have been really happy with this caliber..

What kind of actual velocity are you guys getting from the 300 RUM with a 180? the two guns I've owned ( somebody else does now ) haven't proven to me that I can gain that much over the 300 win or 300 WBY and still have any accuracy.

I'm not saying with the right combination it can't be done but I haven't seen any reason to get excited so far. the loads that freinds have put over my chronograph haven't wowed me either.

The difference between the 338 win and 338 RUM are night and day on the other hand.

For me, it was more the decision of which rifle I wanted, rather than chambering. I wanted a lightweight, short-action, .30 caliber, so went with a Kimber Montana .300 WSM and have zero regrets.

I like the fact that you can get factory 130gr. loads. in the WSM, that said I have a NIB Tikka 300wsm that I would be willing to deal if you are in the market... just checking LOL
Athens Archery Field Staff
Wicked1 Bowstring Staff

>WSM bullets are tougher to find
>and they cost more.

Looking in the Cabelas catalog, I see that the WSM and WM loads from Winchester with identical bullets are priced the same. WSM loads from Remington and Federal are 2-10% more than the comparable WM load.

Actually, the "bullets" in a 300WSM would be identical to the "bullets" in a WM(or 30-06, 300H&H, 300RUM, 300WBY, 308win, etc) i.e. a 180 Accubond from a 300WSM is the same 180 Accubond from a 300WinMag. Same caliber.

"bullets", "cartridges", "caliber", "chambering" have different meanings.

(just being persnickity) ;-)

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://dougkoepsel.smugmug.com/
The-Wave-9-15-10edited_210.jpg

Rabbit you got a point on the components to reload. The brass is usually were the difference is. I was surprised it was the same price.

I was talking about buying a box of bullets. The federal bullets I looked at on Cabelas was a +$10.00 for the wsm.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom