300 PRC vs 7 PRC

coloradoman

Very Active Member
Opinions or thoughts?
I have seen personally what the 300 accomplished this year but I hear the 7 might be a step above?
Pardon me if this is a dumb question but I don’t know these newer calibers very well.
For those who know both what is the recoil comparison between the 2?

Let me elaborate…. I’m talking performance not necessarily recoil but I still want to know because I have a small frame person that is ok with recoil on the 300 with a brake.

Are you looking for a hunting cartridge or target shooting? 7mm PRC is plenty of horse power for anything in the lower 48. 7mm has considerably less recoil than the 300.

7prc is slightly less recoil. The 7prc stays over 2000lbs of energy at about 650 yards, where the 300 poops out a little sooner I think around 500? 550? Somewhere in there. Come on into the store sometime and we could chat about them and I can show ya some stats on them both.

7prc is slightly less recoil. The 7prc stays over 2000lbs of energy at about 650 yards, where the 300 poops out a little sooner I think around 500? 550? Somewhere in there. Come on into the store sometime and we could chat about them and I can show ya some stats on them both.
Damn kid is doing the same chit to me... Afraid it might cost me a few $ sometime.

I’ll try to come by tomorrow

7PRC will be more shooter friendly, less powder, lighter bullet. Both will do exactly the same thing for hunting purposes.

Anyone have any actual velocity numbers from , say a 24 " barrel for either of these rounds???

For Elk I think a 30 PRC is a better choice. Shooting the heavy weight bullets, I have had several hunters/friends jump on the 7PRC wagon. One that i was with year shot a bull elk at 158 yards broadside and the bullet never exited the body cavity . It needed a second shot to keep it down, He was shooting ELDX bullets. The bullet fell apart .He only found little pieces. I have heard several stories the same thing is happening all the the ELDX. Talking to the Hornady guys. I shoot the ELDM bullets. The only differences the outer is a few thousands thicker. Which seems to help it stay together. Maybe as more ammo choice come out for the 7 PRC that will help But I am not a 7mm fan. I think the bigger cross section of the 30 caliber is a plus.

I’m building a 7 PRC now with a 20” barrel. I plan to shoot for the 9 lb range. I’ll let you know how it goes velocity wise.
I'm looking at doing the same thing, possibly even going as short as 18 inches. From the research I've done, even at 18 it would still be a 700 yard gun. I'll probably never shoot at an animal that far and I would really like to get it as short as possible for a suppressor.

I'm looking at doing the same thing, possibly even going as short as 18 inches. From the research I've done, even at 18 it would still be a 700 yard gun. I'll probably never shoot at an animal that far and I would really like to get it as short as possible for a suppressor.
Keep in mind that many suppressors have minimum barrel length restrictions. I'm having a 20" barreled rifle being built now.

Good point. I have a Banish Backcountry that I would be using. I'll have to check into it.
I think you’re good to go with the Banish. I have another rifle with a 20” barrel with an ultra 7 on it. I think the 20” barrel is the perfect compromise of length and still get a decent velocity.

I think you’re good to go with the Banish. I have another rifle with a 20” barrel with an ultra 7 on it. I think the 20” barrel is the perfect compromise of length and still get a decent velocity.
Yes, I figured going down to 18 would be pushing the lower end of what works for velocities. I may end up going 20.

Yes, I figured going down to 18 would be pushing the lower end of what works for velocities. I may end up going 20.
I’ll let you know how mine goes. I’m thinking I’ll be able to get a 162 grain ELDX going 2900-2950

Would you mind explaining the above statements on “pooping” out? Energy, what does that old, tired, measurement have to do with anything?

Would you mind explaining the above statements on “pooping” out? Energy, what does that old, tired, measurement have to do with anything?
The 300 goes sub 2000lbs of energy at right around 500-550 yards. Think at that range it's running about 1800lbs of energy. Pooping out. The 7 prc is still at like...2200 or 2100 lbs of energy at roughly 650yards

The 300 goes sub 2000lbs of energy at right around 500-550 yards. Think at that range it's running about 1800lbs of energy. Pooping out. The 7 prc is still at like...2200 or 2100 lbs of energy at roughly 650yards
What load are you basing that off of? In my 300 I don’t drop below 2000ft/lbs until 900 yards and with that said, ft/lbs is a mostly meaningless number. Velocity to make the bullet do what it was designed for is a much better qualifier.

900 yards......I'd love to see that data. Look up all data on 7mm prc and you will find it .
Let me guess, you compare a 180 gr out of both 7mm and 300? Even a 180gr out of a 300 still has more than what you claim at 650 yards. You sell rifles? Go look up a 215 Berger @ 3000fps. I’m actually getting 3010 out of my 300. It’s interesting how much misinformation is out in the gun world.
IMG_0725.png

Last edited:
Let me guess, you compare a 180 gr out of both 7mm and 300? Even a 180gr out of a 300 still has more than what you claim at 650 yards. You sell rifles? Go look up a 215 Berger @ 3000fps. I’m actually getting 3010 out of my 300. It’s interesting how much misinformation is out in the gun world.
At 900 yards you're not pumping out 2000ft lbs of energy.

The berger calculator is saying different than in person Data and every other calculator out there. So respectfully, maybe you're not as smart as your momma once told you that you were.

The berger calculator is saying different than in person Data and every other calculator out there. So respectfully, maybe you're not as smart as your momma once told you that you were.
In person data? I don’t know what to tell you. Here’s Hornady, I can post shooter or strelok as well if you want.
IMG_0726.png

And did you really just say that ft/lbs of energy don't matter??? I'm no expert buttttt I think it does matter lol.
Killing an animal has way more to do with bullet placement, and velocity per bullet design. How much energy does an arrow have? What about the .243 and killing elk? What about the .223 or 6mm?

Ft/lbs of energy is a long ago measurement of killing that doesn’t really have as much value as some think.

Energy for an arrow is a huge factor lol.....are...are you new to planet earth?
I didn’t say it didn’t matter, I said it doesn’t have as much importance as some people place on it, like the mythical 2,000ft/lbs you referenced. My point with the arrow is that it doesn’t have near the “energy” as a bullet yet it kills efficiently when placed correctly, hence the 2000 myth.

Did you find an answer to the 300prc and 550 yard pooping out yet?

I’m not trying to be a jerk but if people are going to talk about things like they’re facts, they need to be correct.

I didn’t mean to start a war lol.
I chose the 300 because I’m not a fan of 7mm and have been a big fan of 30 cal for 30 years

My opinion which certainly don’t mean much, but I believe the 7 PRC to be the best all around caliber out there right now. I’ve been blown away playing with mine the past year. Ballistics on par with the 28 nosler yet 30% less recoil and shooting sub 1/2 MOA on Hornady factory ammo. I own a 28 Nosler and was intrigued by the 6.8 Western but in all honesty, the 7 PRC has killed them both. Honestly not sure why anyone would need to step up to 300 PRC unless going on a brown bear hunt or something?

Despite my love for the 7 PRC, I still carry my 6.5 PRC in the field.. And yes, even on elk.. Not valid for everyone but I’ve found I’m more lethal personally with a low recoil, flat and forgiving cartridge. If there was a 200” buck on the line and I had to make a high stakes shot at distance, 6.5 PRC no questions asked.. That caliber is as accurate as anything out there.

7mm PRC vs 300 PRC is the same comparison as 7mm Rem Mag vs 300 Win Mag. The PRC's are just modern case geometry and slightly more capacity. The 300 will outrun the 7mm quite easily at any distance unless you handicap it with a low BC bullet.

In my opinion a 7mm is the perfect deer caliber and 338 is perfect for elk. For an all-around gun I'd take the 300.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom