300 RUM Fouling

BUCKSPY

Very Active Member
300 Ultra Mag shooters- What is you window of accuracy on your RUMs? How many fouling shots and how many can you run through it before you start opening up your groups? Mine seems finicky.

Any guesses on barrel life on these thundersticks?

I shoot a 30-378, and a 338 RUM. they are both at thier best a little dirty, the 338 likes at least 1 fouler, the 30-378 starts to shoot after about 3. they both start to loosen up at around 20 shots.

really tho, every gun has its sweet spots, often a product of the owner, weather it started with a rough barrel, weather it was broken in, hand lapped, etc..

my 338 hasnt seen alot of rounds, but the 30-378 has some where in the neighborhood of 2000 rounds in the same barrel, i've cooked bullets from 4000+ to what i am shooting now, 3450, 180 gr. it could use a new barrel, but still holds in the 1-1/4" range. dont over heat,clean and use a good protectant when stored, depending on what you use it for, it could last a life time.

I,ve fired 20 rounds at the bench with no noticeable dropp off in accuracy. Usually I clean it after every 10 rounds when testing loads. I'm lucky, as my rifle puts the first shot through a cold, clean barrel where it is supposed to be, but I usually fire a fouler before I hunt anyway. mtmuley

Mine needs 3-4 fouling shots and needs a cleaning before it hits 20. I guess thats the breaks of shooting a monster powder burner.

BUCKSPY, How many rounds do you have through your barrel? I have heard that some barrels will break in gradually over time. A smooth barrel fouls less. I got lucky again with mine as it is a factory Remington barrel. If and when I need another, a 27 inch Lilja will be installed. mtmuley

I've got over 1000 rounds, probably 1200 ish, through it and had a bulged barrel show itself on my Alaska trip and that was the grizz problem. It drove me nuts trying to figure out my abherrant accuracy issues and a crack detective/gunsmith in Grand Junction figured it out. Its now a 25" factory barrel with a new target crown. Have hunted with it since and taken 3 more one shot animals but have considered the 27" lilja also. I think I might be able to tune it up a little better with a new barrel but it might just shoot the same and just weigh a little more.

I bet with a new quality barrel it will shoot very well. Weight probably is minimal with a couple inches here or there. Also, I know that Christensen Arms has take-off factory barrels for real reasonable. Last time I checked, 40.00 Just a thought. mtmuley

LAST EDITED ON Jan-30-09 AT 07:11AM (MST)[p]Call me a novice, please!!! What's a "fouling shot"? A warm up? A flier?

a fouling shot is a initial shot taken to burn up any oils of contaminent in the barrel. Often times after cleaning your barrell the left behind residue can cause inaccurate shot placement. Many people fire at least one round through their barrel after cleaning and before going afield.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-30-09 AT 09:21AM (MST)[p]Hmmm, interesting. These contaminent oils can't be removed by running a dry patch or two through? It seems kind of a P.I.T.A. to touch off a round or two before hunting...

Sorry to get off the subject...

Some barrels are finicky and need a round or two before they "settle in" and group regularly. I usually do a last minute zero check at the range before heading out at the beginning of season, so that takes care of it. mtmuley

alot of barrels have knicks, scratch's, pits etc, a fouler will help fill them in after cleaning.

i dont know for fact, but i'm sure someone on here can verify that at the bench rest shoots, you are allowed or required to take a fouler shot.

if you have more than a few guns, you should have noticed by now, some of them dont shoot where they should after cleaning.

Good stuff fellas. Thanks for the explanation. I'm pretty close to buying a super .30, so I'm trying to sponge up everything I can.

There is no comparison between a factory barrel, and a custom barrel. Comparing apples to oranges. The best factory barrels are probably used by Sako and Tikka. Even those don't clean up as well as a real, hand-lapped custom tube.

My 30'06 has gone through two factory tubes. It was a copper fouling monster. After 20 shots, it looked like a dirt road. Even though it used to shoot tight groups, it is now awaiting a custom Pac-Nor tube...

Tired of cleaning that POS factory tube.

Just saw this question....sorry. Mine is a factory Rem 700 with an H&S drop-in. Talley rings and bases. Leupold 4.5x14.

Just made the decision to get a new 27" Hart Barrel put on it.

Buckspy....

I think you'll be HAPPY....

...in more way's than one.

You're gonna enjoy this sir.

If you end up not, let us know....

Laro

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom