300 Rum with muzzle break without earplugs?

huh? i didn't hear you?

My hearing is permanently damaged already from shooting firearms. The only time i go unprotected is while i'm actually hunting and even that is wrong. On the range, i double up, highly recommend.

Joey

+1 I double up too on the range!

Need to be able to hear a distant gobble or bugle when I'm an old man!

nnl.gif

GO HEELS!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-09 AT 04:31PM (MST)[p]I know guys that shoot braked rifles in the field without ear protection. A few shots a year may not hurt, but why chance it? Proximety to the shooter has an effect on the felt blast. Some brake manufacturers also supply a threaded barrel extension to replace the brake while hunting, eliminating the exessive noise. As has been advised, use good protection at the range. I even use it when firing my .22s anymore. mtmuley

I ended up shooting ~15 shots from a rock outcropping where i was basically sitting in a cave in 2006. I started noticing hearing problems after that one event. Specifically, id be the only one in a group of 3 or 4 who couldnt hear distant elk bugles in sept of 07. Now i double up at the range as well and carry ear plugs in my pocket when hunting in case i have time to set up and put them in. Ive also started carrying them to every concert i go to, just in case...

I just got a 300 RUM with the thread on muzzle break, first time I shot it I was so excited to shoot it I forgot to put my ear plugs in. WOW I sprinted to my truck and got them! I agree on the double up.

I have one with the screw on muzzle break also. I was wondering if there is any difference in accuracy when you remove the brake. It doesn't seem to have that much more of a recoil so thought I'd remove it when hunting...just wondering if I would need to sight it in without the muzzle break?
I guess if you were sighting it in you could do that without the muzzle brake anyway and wear protection....dumb question I guess... but what do you think?

Ear protection is the only aspect I don't like about my 300RUM when shooting in the field. Rings my chimes so hard I can't focus on a good follow up shot if it were needed.

I am going to have a brake with a "cover" installed on my 338 from Elite Iron. I am promissed their design limits the ear busting of most brakes because it pushes the sound forward.

A friend has tried their suppressors and really like them and is the one who recommended them.

If noise is an issue you might want to give them a call.

I will give my 2cents after I get it installed.

www.eliteiron.net

Wow, in Bonner of all places. Are they brakes, or sound suppressors, or both? From what I saw on the site, noise reduction is the main improvement. There's a guy in Fort Shaw that makes one Hell of a brake. If I were to cave and have one installed, he would be the one to do it. mtmuley

I would be wary of the forward muzze brake stuff. a regular muzzle brake is hell on scopes as it is, more forward motion cant be better.

fwiw, i shoot a 30-378 with the accubrake, its one of the most efficient brakes i have used, and i have had to fire without ear plugs...not a smart thing to do. the thing i hate about having ear plugs in tho, is you cant hear the thud of the bullet impact.

I'm having a 300 ultra mag built by Kirby Allen. He makes a baffle style brake that he calls the Pain Killer. I've seen a video that compared it to a rifle without a brake and another manufactures brake. It seems to reduce recoil better then most other brakes. I thought about having him install one on my rifle and also make a thread protector for hunting. He recommended against changing between the brake and thread protector for two reasons. He said removing and replacing the brake would eventually change the timing and there would be a point of impact change also, so I decide to forgo the brake. 300 ultras don't kick that hard anyway
Wes

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-09 AT 11:27PM (MST)[p]guts and nuts!.............I love recoil!
7 mag kicks more...at lease to me...good recoil pads are worth there weight in gold

Rackmaster

496fab8546749f27.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom