300 ultra mag or 7MM STW

M

monarchtaxidermy

I am getting 2 guns from christensens arms for some taxidermy work we have done for them. I have it narrowed to the 300 ultra and the 7MM STW. I am leaning towards the shooting times western right now. I just want a great all around big game gun. Thought I would ask if any of you have had preferences or experiences with either of these two calibers. feel free to tell if you think there is a better gun out there. I am not by any means a gun expert.
thanks curtis

I love my .300 ultra have had it for 3yrs.it shoots and preforms great with handloads only shot two boxs of factory loads just to get the brass i think the .300 is a little more versatile with bullet weigths and so forthth ballistics are not a whole lot different but you can get a higher BC with the .300 bullets for long range i have no experience with the STW

Seriously???? Monarch, the 300rum is a great round hands down. Look at the shooting forum, there are several topics. I guess I just dont like it because everybody else does. If it were me I'd get the STW, a little different and definatley capable.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-09 AT 11:35AM (MST)[p]Now thats a tuff one! I have a 300ultra and love it. Right now I just started building my 7MM-STW with a tight neck reamer that was ground for 168 bergers.

Justin Richins
R&K Hunting Company Inc.
www.thehuntingcompany.com

Take a good look at the 7mm ultra too. The ballistic coefficient is acutally better. Still don't think you can go wrong with either. I love my 300UM.

300 RUM all the way. The rest of the guns just stay in the safe now since I purchased my Christensen Arms 300.

I like my 300 alot.

5 possible bullet weights allow you to kill anything on this continent......at way more distance than I practice at.

I think he was referring to Nvbuck?s comment regarding the ballistic coefficients. If I'm not mistaken, you can get a higher BC bullets for the 7MM vs. the 300.

My CA 300 Ultra with a break is my favorite of the 15 I own. My buddy who is a ballistic nut has a 7MM STW and there several things he does not like about it. Since I got my 300 he is now saving up for one and is selling his.

I have had 2 7mm STW the current one I own is a Remington 700 DM

I reload for it as factory stuff is pricey and sometime hard to find but it has served me well and deadly accurate with a range of different bullets.

The Berger bullets in 168gr offer an extremely high B.C. and works very well out of my rifle using RL-22 and Federal primers.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER

The RUM can be loaded with bullets weighing up to 220 grains, I think even 240 grains with an SMK if you are in to that. I heard versatility mentioned a couple of times, and agree with that. If you shoot factory stuff, the selection will be greater for the RUM. Both are fast and flat, but personally I like .30s mtmuley

Ive own both. I had the STW before it was a factory round. Both are good. The RUM kicks more. All in all the Rum has a slight edge when it come to getting brass and bullets.

quest

I shoot a 7mm stw and love it, my brother has both, I think it depends what you are using it for- basically you get the same speed out of each rifle but a little more knockdown power out of a 30 cal. but as far as reloading- the stw is easier to find brass for since it is a 8mm mag necked down to 7mm, and uses a little less powder. Hope this helps- both all around great calibers to reach out and touch em'!!

I'll throw in another vote for the STW. I've had the Ultra mags, both 7mm, and 300, and they just didn't do it for me. They are great rounds, but I fell in love with the STW. It's my favorite round of all the big stuff I've ever owned.

We could argue ballistics all day long, and when it comes down to it, they will all kill anything that walks this planet. Pick the one that you like the best, or think you would like the best. I sold both my ultras and don't regret it one bit.

.300 ultra gets my vote here. I have seen some great long range shots by good hunters up to 550 yards with it. At 200 yards was punching 1" groups.

Don't know about the 7MM STW.

>(Take a good look at the
>7mm ultra too. The ballistic
>coefficient is acutally better???) Not
>sure what your trying to
>say.

Comparing those ballistic's is like trying to pick the fly chit out of the pepper...

I like the 7mm STW however .300RUM is more of the practical
decision unless you are a loader...
Rackmaster

A.) 300 ultra mag
B.) 7MM STW
D.) none of the above

Answer....... D.) none of the above

50BMG! BABY!

He who stomps the greatest stinky wins!

Both calibers are excellent choices. The difference is that the RUM requires a muzzle break and the STW does not. That's my opinion and I hate muzzle breaks. The STW is the easy choice for me.

you said they owe you 2 guns....get 1 of each.

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I have the STW and will never own another gun. I absolutely love it. Works great for Bear, Elk, Antelope, Deer and really fun with coyotes.

However it is getting extremely hard to find ammo and when you do it is so high priced.

Got to vote for the STW between the two. Ballistically the 300 wins, but everyone shots one now. The STW is just different enough. I love mine, someday I will have one in a custom hopefully.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom