300 ultra mag

hunter03

I have an elk hunt coming up this fall and was looking into getting a new rifle. I don't mind recoil on guns that I shoot so the 300 ultra mag with the power level 3 would suit my needs perfectly for my elk this fall. the problem I have is that my wife will probably be using the same gun for deer, my question is, how is the recoil on the power level 1 and 2? what are the other options out there that will take care of both a large bull elk and deer? thanks for your help.

My wife shoots my Remington 300 win mag Sendero to hunt with. The recoile on a 300 is easier for a female than a caliber like 7mm because it is more of a push with the 300 verses a sharp jab with the 7mm. Just my observation. She likes the 300 way more than the 7mm or 270. The weight of the 300 doesn't seem to be an issue with her.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-08 AT 07:27PM (MST)[p]I've never used the power level ammo as I handload. The .300 RUM is probably not the ideal rifle for your wife. Maybe the power level ammo makes it more manageable. Coupled with a muzzle brake, I suppose it wouldn't be bad. But then muzzle blast comes into play. For a big long range .30, it does the job well if you need the extra horsepower. As far as other options, the .30-06 is real tough to beat as an all around rifle. mtmuley

Just do like a friend of mine did with his wife and don't tell her how hard it kicks. She ended up with TWO black eyes. She laughed with us, well kinda!
Wes

I've had 3 different 300 ultras since 1999 my wife shoots my latest one i would definately recommend a limb saver or high end kick pad paired with a mercury stick, my new ultra also has a thread on muzzle break that she uses with it. if you want your wife to be scared of recoil let her shoot one shot from a ultra straight out of the box this is just to much for most people man or woman take her out and let her shoot a 30.06 bolt it will kick less than those power level 1 or 2 from remington my opinion a 30.06 or a lightly loaded 150 gr. bullet out of a 300 wsm are the perfect pill for elk hunters who can't handle the recoil.
WHACK'N & STACK'N
SHOOT STRAIGHT SHOOT TRUE
THE WOODTICK

power level one is equal to or lesser than a 30-06, IMO Ive got the same gun and love it use it on everything from longrange coyotes to moose,

Or you could just get a .308Win. My wife loves to shoot that thing all day long. Puts elk in the freezer just the same. Recoil, whats that?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom