322 beast

Jake, that's your take on it. I really don't give a crap what you think. I'm not sure why you felt the need to butt in but thanks anyway, please butt out!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-14 AT 10:32PM (MST)[p]Jake,
I have indeed been called an Ass many a time on MM. That one I am familiar with. I would say it is dead on given my responses to Sage's bitterness towards me. I have added plenty of :) and hahahas but seems some miss those and take things I say seriously. when that happens, it is all the more funny to me. Sage has given me plenty of laughs on this thread to say the least.

>To grow a beast like that
>you need the right genetics,
>nutrition and time plus a
>lot of good luck.
>
>Eldorado

You talking about my post eldorado?

I think Eldo is just being his usual profound self, like we all don't already know the ingredients to make a monster.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>I think Eldo is just being
>his usual profound self, like
>we all don't already know
>the ingredients to make a
>monster.
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

How bout a 400 lbs NM monarch

Hey bud, I was just giving an outsiders perspetive here, you are really coming off like a KOOK, go right ahead and keep at it if thats what you want to look like.

And as I said before, Im bored.

I am now offically (butt'ed out) As you we're Sage.

Jake H. BIG BONE HUNTING Page on Facebook.
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

Post em up! I'd like to see that.

Joey

...and as i mentioned before, i expected nothing less of you!

Joey

LOL and there you brought me right back into it. I had no idea I had such a reputaion with you ol buddy.

458738e374dfcb10.jpg

Eldo, Do you really need a recap? OK, i made a blanket statement, basically saying that a deer ain't going to get to be a monster if he don't live long enough. Now, we all know that it takes other factors, lots of factors, but it is true, if he don't live long enough, he ain't going to get to become a monster. Like you, BCBoy came to correct me...and it went from there. Got it?

Joey

It goes back a long time. a long ago post where you were in a picture. I saw that we were about the same size and made a comment as to us big guys sticking together. I received less than a welcome reply. There have been other threads since, no big deal, but i certainly never conceived that you could possibly be objective towards me. That was my take then, that's my take now.

Joey

>Post em up! I'd like to
>see that.
>
>Joey
>
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

Here it is. Like I said antlers aren't huge, but for the first buck I ever got he's a dandy. If you wanna see my 2013 buck tell me and I'll post it up after this.
6965img_4482.jpg

5082img_4485.jpg

5043img_4483.jpg

I didn't come to correct you. i made a post on a thread about a 300 inch giant. The thread was not about you. You then chose to correct me. That is where you then started attacking me. When I started posting in this thread, I never even saw you had posted too. Why? because the world does not revolve around you dude! I don't give a crap what you said. I was just stating an opinion, which is what this site is for. You say eldo and me are stating the obvious. And you weren't? You are allowed to talk but everyone else can't? Is that what you think MM is? Sorry dude, but we all have different experiences and different opinions. If you can't accept that, maybe go to Puttin.com and join the Russian Federation!

I do vaguely remember something like that, but I have no idea what I would have said back to you that would have been out of line.

458738e374dfcb10.jpg

Nice Buck! That middle picture makes his body look big as a horse! Thanks!!

Joey

Thats a stud BurnHunter. and one hell of a first buck to boot.

458738e374dfcb10.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-14 AT 11:19PM (MST)[p]BCBoy, you see it as you wish to. I really don't care and certainly will not lose any sleep over it. My comments toward you stand. I know now you for a liar and a POS and that ain't ever going to change.

Joey

You seem touchy. I never made any attempt to correct you or BCBoy. I made a general statement. That's all.

Got it?

Eldorado

Hey, both of you, you are both adults here. Don't act like little kids over a few comments that you disagree over, you don't have to like each other, but don't act like little kids.

BurnHunter, you should create your own post with both of your bucks this place has been kinda dead and everyone is getting cranky.

Maybe some dead bucks would get everyone to chill out. LOL

458738e374dfcb10.jpg

Sure Eldo, Thanks for cluing us all in with your wisdom, you been a huge help!! :)

I'm beat tired, hitten the rack!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-14 AT 06:05PM (MST)[p]The genetic verses age thing can be proven by looking at the strip in arizona. Age can be easily over come by genetics in these places. They have killed many deer of the strip that were 230 to 285 and a lot of these deer are under 5 years old. I believe the 285 buck from 4 years ago was 4 years old. If you have inferior genetics then age is an absolute must, but with good genes age doesnt play nearly the role some might think it does. I killed a buck on the kaibab in 1991 that was aged at the check out station at 4 years old, and he went 222. I couldn't imagine how big he would have become at 6 to 7 years old. Genetics first and everything else is second including feed!!! Awesome buck in the pic, beyond anything i could even dream up.

Places like the strip have unique genetics, many places will never produce 250 point deer no matter how old they live.

But to see what effect hunting pressure has on horn size you can look at what happened in Colorado after they drastically cut tag numbers by going to limited quota hunting.

That was a good experiment because it included the whole state and all the different diverse areas, it also included enough of a time period to see what really happens when hunter pressure is curtailed.

You can dress it up all you want, but you can't escape the truth.

The reason why most places can't produce 250 inch deer is genetics, which is the most important determining factor of a bucks size, as you put the strip is unique because of its genetics. If you don't have superior genetics like most of colorado, then yes you need age on the bucks to get the antlers really big. Time and time again, there have been many deer shot over the 220 mark across the west that are under 5 years old. Piper, would you rather hunt genes or age? I will take genes because then it doesn't take age to get really big. I do agree with colorado experiment though, and colorado did seem to get much better after the tag reductions.

I can't disagree with you, but if you were to give OTC tags for the strip how long would the trophy deer last?
Colorado started limited entry hunting in 1999 and in some areas they drastically reduced hunter pressure.

I'm taking the following out of Duplans article in Western hunter.
" Boone and Crocket entries reflect this, 55 entries in 2004, 36 in 2005, 24 in 2006 and 34 in 2007.
For comparison Wyoming had 30 entries, Utah had 29 entries and Idaho had 23 entries.
The combined total of entries from those three legendary mule deer states was 82, compared to Colorado's 149 in that same time frame.
That stat really put in in perspective, doesn't it?
Limit hunting pressure and bucks get big and old."

If you think its just because Colorado has better genetics, take another look at the buck at the beginning of this thread.

10-4 piper, those statistics are hard to ignore. I know we enjoyed the colorado run for a while also. It was a treat to see a lot of really nice bucks, and although i didn't get anything really big ,my brother sure did get a couple. Genes and age are what builds a special buck for sure.

That kind of put the trophy percentage into perspective in Utah.
One (1) B&C trophy for every nine thousand (9000) hunters or so.
They are RARE critters!
Zeke

Oops, worse than that. The totals were over 4 years and I was thinking it was 3.
Bad odds of a B&C buck any way you look at it.
Zeke

Without age, it doesn't really matter how good the genetics are. In most places I've hunted, bucks don't produce impressive head gear until they are at least 4 years old.

But without great genes, they will never grow a great rack, no matter how old they get.

Lastly, we all know what an impact poor nutrition has on antler growth. Look at the difference in antler growth from a wet year to a drought year.

Colorado definitely has the formula with their management; allowing bucks to attain some age. But they also have great genetics in most of the state, and awesome escape cover in the best units(oakbrush). Colorado has always been the leader in B&C heads, so that's nothing new. Since they implemented the present management strategy, the numbers of mature bucks has really gone up, though!

If your talking about yearlings to 4-5 year old deer, age matters. After that my personal belief is that age doesn't matter as much as some think it does. Genetics/water and feed is where it is at. I killed a SE UT deer couple years ago that I saw 3 years in a row. Started at a 4-5 yr old deer and I killed him at 7-8. He was actually bigger at 6-7 than 7-8.
Scored 189 4/8ths. I doubt he would have gotten bigger the next few years.

At age 4-5 I would have put him around 175ish. But this buck was a straight typical all those years. Who knows what he would have done if he had grown some extras

You could let a million bucks reach maturity and maybe be lucky enough to have a few with the genetics this buck has. A buck that can grow antlers that size has some truly rare and freakishly impressive genetics.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-14 AT 11:08PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-14 AT 11:07?PM (MST)

Starting in the late 40s. The genetics for big antlers started to be shot out of the Mule Deer herds.

Hunting for big antlers has over time done away with a lot of those
big antler genes.

Start breeding your cows with midget bulls and over time you will
have a herd of midget cattle.

Ad that to all the other reasons listed above, and you have the reason that you will never see a deer like the one at the top of this post ever taken again.

Castnshoot

IMO you right on
However I would like to think it could be possible to see a buck like that once in a while.
buckhorn

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom