33 3rd Season

headshot05

Hi everyone, I was able to pick up a 33 3rd season tag today. I was wondering if someone could help me out by pointing me in a couple general areas. I've traveled through the area quite a bit but have never hunted it.
I can help with info on some Utah units if needed. Thank you

That's an OTC elk hunt. I assume you meant MD?

It was so dry last year, every animal was down low scouring for any blade of green grass.

This year? I know mid-CO/divide country had awesome snow pack and the range is full of food for deer and elk high to low.

Unit 33 is generally more arid country.

Unit 33 has some hard core jeep hunters that expend every ounce of gas to surf back into the deepest areas of the white river. they camp right next to some awesome private property 20-30 miles in.

So....getting away from people is challenging with an OTC hunt going on at the same time.

Its not easy. Find the steepest stuff you can. That's all I'll say.

Good luck-
crcountry

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I think 3rd season will be a sh## show this year for deer. Due to CWD in the unit they are giving out over double the number of tags in an effort to lower the buck population. This is what I was told by the local game warden when I asked him why are they giving out 500 tags for 3rd season when the last time I hunted it there were only around 250 tags and it was crowded then. That was several years ago but with double the tags getting away from people is gonna be challenging

Just trying to help. If you need any more info I will be in the area during the hunt. I'll be hanging out in the bowling alley in rifle. Just look for the guy in Sitka camo drinking White Claws.

What a travesty. The CPW increasing tags to battle CWD when in fact a very minute percentage of deer test positive. We have always had CWD and issuing more tags only decimates a population that would otherwise survive if left alone. I hate this management plan. A lot of units are finally recovering from the CPW's slaughter of the herd for no reason.

>What a travesty. The CPW
>increasing tags to battle CWD
>when in fact a very
>minute percentage of deer test
>positive. We have always
>had CWD and issuing more
>tags only decimates a population
>that would otherwise survive if
>left alone. I hate
>this management plan. A
>lot of units are finally
>recovering from the CPW's slaughter
>of the herd for no
>reason.

I don't think it has anything to do with CWD.
It has to do with $$$ the Park Service is sucking a lot of money out of
the money that the Dow HAD? And they will continue to because they can't generate
enough revenue to manage all their own expenses.

The Sportsman in Colorado feared this would happen.
Well I think we are starting to see it?
And it won't be ending anytime soon unless the Sportsman Demand that they split the
two up again?
Just my 2 cents.

>>What a travesty. The CPW
>>increasing tags to battle CWD
>>when in fact a very
>>minute percentage of deer test
>>positive. We have always
>>had CWD and issuing more
>>tags only decimates a population
>>that would otherwise survive if
>>left alone. I hate
>>this management plan. A
>>lot of units are finally
>>recovering from the CPW's slaughter
>>of the herd for no
>>reason.
>
>
>I don't think it has anything
>to do with CWD.
>It has to do with $$$
>the Park Service is sucking
>a lot of money out
>of
>the money that the Dow HAD?
>And they will continue to
>because they can't generate
>enough revenue to manage all their
>own expenses.
>
>The Sportsman in Colorado feared this
>would happen.
>Well I think we are starting
>to see it?
>And it won't be ending anytime
>soon unless the Sportsman Demand
>that they split the
>two up again?
>Just my 2 cents.

Still so much ignorance on this issue. The parks can not use hunters money. Parks and wildlife still have totally separate budgets. They have separate revenues, separate cost, etc. Federal law prevents the state from doing what you are suggesting simply because doing so would mean the state would be in violation of the federal laws. This would mean loss of more money...

In the case of NW Colorado. There is no doubt that the purpose is to kill all the mature bucks they can. The CPW is convinced that the best thing is to shoot every single buck they can older than 3 years old.

It is not about revenue. It sucks, they are wrong, but they have decided the path.

Deer hunting in NW Colorado as we know it is done for 20 years...

I drew a 3rd season tag on a 2nd choice drawing for the hunt areas north of 33. Thought it just be something different to do since I never hunted mule deer in November. CDW drop the 2nd season tags by about 150, then put them into 3rd season and added another 200 or so tags. So last year there was around 620 3rd season. This year, 960 deer tags. To prevent CWD? With unlimited elk tags also in the area, I'm going to wait for the last 4 or 5 days. I'm hunting a war zone...lol!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom