338-378 weatherby?

basselkNM

Anybody own or have any thoughts good or bad on this caliber was intrested in buying one to hunt elk and oryx. I know the brass and ammo is WAY expensive but plan on reloading.

too much gun

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

The 338 Ultra Mag is within a few FPS of it and a much better choice in my opinion.

That said I had a custom 338 UM built and it kicks so bad it gathers dust in my safe. so I just use mu 300 win mag which has never let me down and forget it. once in a great while D13er is right, it's too much gun.

The 338-378 Weatherby is a fantastic Long Range Elk cartridge. It even exceeds the 338 Lapua.

With the muzzle break, the recoil is not bad, in fact it kicks less than my Tikka 300 Win Mag.

There are however, a lot of "fair weather hunters" or guys with little shooting experience and for them I'd recommend sticking with the tried and true 30-06.

Thanks for the opportunity to comment.

The statement that hunters with little shooting experience or that are "fair weather" whatever the Hell that means stick with an '06 makes ZERO fricken sense whatsoever. I guess everyone with a Weatherby is an accomplished marksman. The RUM will do everything the Weatherby will do if one feels the need for a .338 to hunt elk. Bet it will kill oryx too. mtmuley

lol thanks for the feedback i already own a 300 rum and 7 rum just have been wanting something in a 338 cal and have been looking at the 338 ultra and 338-378

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-10 AT 04:35PM (MST)[p].

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

mtmuley,

If you can pull your head out that dark smelly place that you seem keep it, you might get some much needed oxygen and thus be able to understand my post.

I was suggesting that a 338-378 is an excellent long range elk cartridge. Long range weapons of any caliber are only beneficial in the hands of skilled marksman, where they can put that added recoil to use. If you don't shoot often and/or your skills are not up to par making LR shots possible, then any LR caliber will only punish the shooter (to include a RUM), thus I suggested using a capable '06. An '06 has plenty of horse power to kill elk at 400 yards (something I'd like to think most hunters can do). On the other hand if your skills allow you the ability to make shots at 1k or over then a 378 would be an excellent choice.

I know from your posts you seem to think that caliber not ending in RUM is a waste of money, but that is simply your uneducated opinion.

Thanks again for opportunity to comment.

Diesel, I didn't ever mention money, RUMs run with Weatherby cartridges in hunting length barrels, ( I also have many other rifles) and ANY weapon of ANY cartridge is useless in the hands of an unskilled marksman. I'm willing to bet there are more BIG guns in the hands of greenhorns than not. My head isn't anywhere near the place you described, hence MY post. mtmuley

I have one, and I also have (3) 30-378 (2) Wtby and (1) Sako a guy can never have enough shooters.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom