37" G-3

medicinebow

During our bow hunt this past weekend we found this broken horn off a bull that had been fighting. After some hunter CSI my partner had found a piece of ground that was torn up and the surrounding trees shredded. Upon further investigation he noticed hoofprints deeply imbedded in the ground and that is where he found the first broken piece of horn. He deduced that bull 1 had finally got a good enough foothold and leverage to push back on bull 2 and one of the bulls broke this point off. After looking at the 15 foot long skid mark from bull 2's tracks it looked as if bull 1 was gaining the upper hand. At the end of the 15 ft. skid mark is where he found the biggest piece of broken horn. Again off one of the bulls.

At first glance it looked as if both bulls had lost a piece of their headgear in the battle, however after futher hunter CSI work it was concluded that both pieces belonged to one bull. We just don't know if it was bull 1 or bull 2. The pieces were puzzled back together and we figured out that the horn was broken off right after the G-2. That leads us to the measurements. We measured the main beam from the broken end and came up with 54" of main beam. The G-3 measured in at 37", the G-4 came in at 21" and the G-5 came in at 12". Mass measurements were averaged at 6 1/2" from what could be measured. We can only speculate on what the G-1 and G-2 would measure and how much main beam remains. However, I'll leave it to your imagination as to what this bull might look like if he were whole.......

We conservatively have our guess what this bull would gross score. Let's hear what you MM members think he might score!!!

Work has brought me back to Albuquerque until thursday night when I'll be headed back out for the remainder of the hunt. My huntin' partner is still out there, and looking for this bull. As far as we know no one has taken a broken horn bull, that we can only assume has a very big left antler and two brow tines on the right side. We have gotten close on several occasions at some good bulls and hope the bulls will really start to heat up in the coming week. They were talking some and responding to calling this past weekend, however they just weren't committing to come the entire way just yet. Good luck to all and enjoy the pics!!

46e746c12d20805e.jpg

46e747372ed1a551.jpg

46e7475f2f683100.jpg

46e7478e30037fbe.jpg

46e747b13078c73d.jpg

MBBGH

I think you fabricated the antler out of plaster or, bought it from a Chinese big game ranch. It's definately not a native New Mexico shed.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom