375 H&H

COtransplant

How many of you fellas out there have one or have used one?
I have been dreaming since I was a kid of going to Alaska for a big bear.I knew I wanted a 375 and found a used one at what I thought was a good price. Bought it and received it last week. We took it to the range...and wow! Inch groups at 100 yards...on a gun I didnt site in.
Questions are
1)What kind of recoil pad is best. Its already got a muzzle brake, but still got a good thump. I know that it will never be a 243, but I also know I am a better shot if Im not as worried about the recoil.
2)It came with a fiberglass thumbhole stock on it and the original stock besides. Is it going to help recoil to put the heavier wood stock(heavier) back on, or does the thumbhole give a guy enough better grip to negate the positives of the heavier stock?
3)I would love to hear some opinions on bullets(positive and negative) from some of you guys who have used them. Especially anyone with experience hunting the bears.
Thanks for any input

a few pointers, make sure the recoil lug is bedded, the 375 generates enuff recoil to crack your stock, even a synthetic.

my favorite big bore pad was the P.M 990, but the limbsaver out now is my new favorite, a close second would be the P.M deccelerator.

as for bullets, i prefer the good old 300 grain partition, i have been working with the 270 grain barnes also.

I don't want to be a smarta$$ but it is a 375 H&H right? It's probably going to kick, just my guess.

I completely expected at least one cute comment about that...yeah its a big bore and gonna have some punch. I knew that when I bought it. I am interested in making myself the best possible shot with it and less recoil makes for better shooters. I shot it multiple times in the first sitting and was thrilled with the accuracy of the gun when "new" to me. It has some punch, but Ive shot worse! It didnt even leave a bruise. Just looking for info from a group of guys that are bound to have a few experienced individuals in it.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-01-08 AT 12:54PM (MST)[p]the 375 is very shootable for most people, a medium bore, thats really perty tame. recoil really becomes a factor at the 416 and above, there are exeptions, such as weight and stock fit.

I like low power variables on my big guns, but fixed power's are the most dependable. the 235 grain bullets are good to practic with (or hunt with), and they cut the recoil considerbly.

you really cant go wrong with nosler's, barnes, north fork's, swifts, and others, just pick one the gun and yourself agree on.

as for the stock's, use both and see what one you like, synthetic is definatly better for alaskan weather. the grip wont do anythin to help recoil, if you find yourself pushing forward with the thumbhole to ease the kick on the shoulder stop, thats a bad habit that will hurt your form, try not to torque the stock, if you know what i mean?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom