39 W AZ Bighorn

azhuntin

Still cant believe i drew the tag. Is anyone familiar with this unit and the class of rams. Thanks for any info,

Mike

Hold out for a 170 they are there. That's an awesome tag, congrats and good luck.

Bret M.

Thats a great tag congrats,very good rams you should take a good one post some pics,I applyied for the same unit no draw let me know what you see. nmbighorn

Congrats on your tag! My wife, Roxane drew that tag in 2001. She actually shot her second choice ram on the third day. He scored 172 6/8 gross and netted 171 6/8! The ram we had been watching for most of the fall was shot by another hunter from Tucson on the first day. He scored 175 and change. My understanding is that these two rams were the largest two rams taken in Arizona that season. I haven't been back since, but there should be some great rams. Roxane's ram was only 8 years old.

When she drew the tag, I hired Matt Dominy from Phoenix. He knows the unit very well, and is a great sheep hunter. Matt did a great job on her hunt, and has done a great job with us several times in hunting these sheep in Sonora. If you are looking for help, let me know and I'll send you his contact info.

Kirk Kelso

A family friend drew in 2000. We helped him scout and hunt. We saw quite a few rams scouting and at least 3 in this class. This one was a little over 170 gross and like 169 something net I believe final. It just happened to be the first of the 3 that they found during the actual hunt.

JaysSheep.jpg

I spent a bunch of time out there last summer and the sheep were faring well all the way into monsoon and so were the catchments. If you have time to scout and a decent pair of glass you should do great. Buy the catchment book from the Game and Fish and go glass around the catchments during August. The sheep will be rutted up. Every single catchment in the unit that I looked at last summer had sheep around it.

Bret M.

Hello, and thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. Kirk, I believe I saw your wife's ram and the story behind it in trophy hunter magazine. Very impressive ram. Bret thank you for all the info, you guys also took one heck of a ram.I am planning on spending a lot of time out there. I live in mesa, so its not that far away. It is truley a once in a lifetime oppurtunity and I want to make the very best of it. Kirk, I would like matt's contact info, my email is [email protected]. Once again thanks for all the help guys.

Mike

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom