3A /3C archery question

foundation

Very Active Member
So I have 12 non resident points for elk and I'm kicking around the idea of using them this year .

I have read short descriptions of the archery hunt in Huntin Fool and Eastmans regarding 3A 3C . It seems to have decent harvest success and according to my research it may be a hunt I could draw this year .

I'm just kind of surprised there is not very much information on the unit when I do a search on Monster muleys . Unless I'm doing the search wrong .

Any way , does any body have any thing good or bad to say about the unit , quality or the hunt . I'm a archery hunter and I could devote a couple of scouting trips , and hunt the whole season if I decide to go this route .

Is the hunt worth that many points or do I wait a few more years ?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-12 AT 08:19PM (MST)[p]Read the www.azgfd.gov unit description of 3a\3c
on the right hand side click hunting, then where to hunt, this should bring up a map of all az units, each unit has a description of the game in that unit and some places to start hunting from

here its is from azgfd
Elk
Overview: Elk can be found throughout Unit 3C in both the pine forest and pinyon/juniper woodlands. Elevations range from 5,600 feet in Taylor to over 7,200 feet on the Mogollon Rim. Elk densities are higher south of Highway 260 than north of the highway. Generally, the highest elk density in the unit is south of Highway 260 and west of Decker Wash, but this can change, depending on precipitation patterns.

This unit has a moderate number of antlered permits available each year, and, since the Rodeo-Chediski Fire, has had high numbers of antlerless permits. The early season antlered tags in Unit 3C are highly coveted by hunters.

Land status: The majority of the unit is situated within the Black Mesa and Lakeside Ranger Districts of the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests, consequently access to hunting areas is not a problem. A Forest map can be purchased at any Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest District Office, located in Overgaard, Lakeside, Springerville and Alpine, or at the Arizona Game and Fish Region I office in Pinetop.

On the early hunts, check to make sure that there are no fire restrictions in effect. In addition, residential developments and homes are scattered in the unit. Remember that you must be at least ? mile from any building before discharging a firearm.

On early hunts, weather can range from moderately hot to wet, with snow being a possibility. Because of warmer temperatures on early hunts, it is suggested that you locate a meat processor or butcher who will provide a location to hang and cool meat before going hunting. There are game processors in Heber, Taylor, Lakeside and Wagon Wheel (between Show Low and Lakeside).

On late hunts, weather ranges from moderate to severe, with snow and cold temperatures likely. Be prepared for winter conditions by bringing appropriate clothing and vehicles. Four-wheel drive vehicles are recommended on the late hunts because of potential snow and very muddy roads. Please help minimize damage to wet roads. You are liable for any damage or ruts you create. This is considered habitat damage by the Forest Service and the Game and Fish Department.

The majority of the unit is bounded on the south by the Fort Apache Indian Reservation. Your permit does not allow you to enter the Reservation to hunt or recover game. Do not trespass on the Reservation for any reason without tribal permission. If you shoot an animal that travels onto the Reservation, contact the White Mountain Apache Game and Fish Department to obtain permission to go after the animal.
Pre-season scouting is important to locating animals, especially on later hunts when bulls are not bugling. Success on the late bull hunt is largely dependent upon scouting. Some trophy-quality bulls are still available on the late hunt, but they are much more difficult to locate.

During the rut hunts, use an artificial bugle to locate bulls (this isn't necessary if they are already bugling), and then stalk until you are within range to shoot or set up and use cow calls to entice the bull within range. Watching stock ponds and wildlife drinkers may also be productive, especially in dry years. In more open areas, glassing can be an effective technique if high points are located prior to hunting. On the antlerless hunts, take enough time to positively identify your target and triple check to make sure the animal you intend to harvest does not have antlers.

Areas: Elk populations in Unit 3C are scattered throughout the entire unit. However, since the Rodeo-Chediski Fire, elk densities are higher south of Highway 260 (which bisects the unit). For antlered and antlerless elk, good hunting areas the past few years include: Telephone Lake and White Lake just north of Show Low (accessed from Hwy 77), Juniper Ridge (FR 143) west of Show Low/Linden, Pinedale Ridge (FR 132) south of Clay Springs, near Deer Springs (FR 107, 161 and 145) Lookout Tower, the Aripine area (FR 332), the area between Phoenix Park Wash and Decker Wash (FR 146), the area around the Gentry Lookout Tower, and anywhere near Black Canyon Lake (accessed via FR 86 or from Highway 260). Scouting is critical to locating animals for your hunt.

A number of ranchers and farmers in the Linden, Burton, and Show Low areas will allow access to their private land to hunters, but you need to obtain permission first.

Some big Elk come from the unit every year. Over the last few years the herd and quality have been coming down for several reasons including over hunting by the indian reservation, increased tag numbers as the state is trying to make the unit a trophy mule deer unit, decreasing elk numbers and finally, the habitat and food supply created from the fire several years ago is now maturing. Quality and Quantity is down on this unit, but there are still some huge bulls, just a little harder to find now, just my opinion.

previous posts are accurate. I drew an archery permit in '08 & have/will apply for that area since. PM if you want something specific, but remember the fire may have changed things from what I saw. Heck, I was walking out of a Circ K with beer & ice about 2 in the afternoon and a cow elk ran between my pickup and me. Go fig!

I'm a resident and hunted it last year during the archery hunt. Be happy to fill you in on details, but short story is it's a great hunt. Then again, there are several units that would fall in the same category.

Thanks everybody for the info . I'm still on the fence on what I'm going to do since I have some other options with a couple of other states .

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-12 AT 10:07PM (MST)[p]I had the tag last year & killed a 330 bull. I didn't see anything bigger than 350 (Which is obviously still very nice). It's still a good unit, but definitely going down in quality. I've talked to some big time guides in there that say the same.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom