3A / 3C Late Elk

H

huntindude

I screwed up big time on my application and drew this tag. I was going to pitch it but now the drawings are all over and I struck out I'm wondering if it's worth a 1000 drive from Oregon. anyone know if is this hunt any good at all?

I drew it two years ago and had a great time. I hunted with Steve Chappell and those guys really know the area. I shot a 6 point and the other hunter killed a monster 360+ bull after I left. There are very few big bulls left at that time (they all go to the Reservation months before). There are a few big bulls left but you have to get pretty lucky. It is a great hunt and one I would be happy to do every year. Here is a pic of my bull.

4868288e42050c97.jpg

Thanks guys, I'll check those guys out.

I think I had 12 points, I still can't believe I transposed the hunt numbers and ended up with this tag, I probably didn't have enough points to draw the early hunt but I would rather have kept trying. living in eastern Oregon my whole life I've taken lots of elk and a book one in Utah a few years ago so just getting an elk isn't that big of deal to me, but if it's a fun hunt with decent bulls it sounds worth while.

CDN I'll PM you back.

Hey dude;

I've got a 3A/3C Archery tag for this year. From what I've been able to learn about the area, I'd say there should be some pretty good bulls around when you get there, BUT you may need some of that "local knowledge" to know where they are. If you want, PM me for contact info and when I get back, I'll share what I found out from my archery hunt.

nocal

Archery or Rifle? There's more than one "late hunt" now unfortunately. The Department ponied up 25 archery elk tags in each unit to create demand for a late hunt to take tags away from the rut hunts.

I hope you didn't burn 12 points on that one.

Nick

No, mine is a late rifle tag. I'm sure it's not woth 12 points either but that's what I have . I sure appreciate the info a few of you guys are giving me by pm, it sounds like a better hunt than I thought it was, for a late hunt anyway.

Here is a photo of the hunter who took the big bull after I left...all the credit on this bull has to go to Steve Chappell and two local guides who shall remain nameless...don't want to give up two of the best hunters I know from the area. Steve and Co. are fantastic people with high standards and are of good moral character, which makes for an outstanding and fun hunt.

Too bad about the 12 points Dude...I drew with 2 and am now waiting to draw an archery tag so Steve and I can go kill a really big bull!!

486c1db52807c5b9.jpg

Well it sounds like these are the guys you want if you're going guided, only problem is they're booked up and they don't over book which means they're definetly the ones you want.

So now plan B , if I can decide what that is.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-08 AT 11:00PM (MST)[p]Well if your hunting antlers it'll be a bit of a challenge. But the bigguns are in there. I'm from this area. My Mom took a nice bull in November and my Uncle took a cow in December of 2007. My family & I are meat hunters. We've all taken trophies, so we ain't bone huntin'. If you work the reservation border along the 300 road which is the southern border of those units, you have a fairly good chance of seeing a good bull.

>and two local guides who
>shall remain nameless...don't want to
>give up two of the
>best hunters I know from
>the area.

You Mean Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder. Those two couldnt find their butt with both hands. Let alone a elk.

Another outfitter in the area sent me some advertising so I contacted him, he said if I would be happy with a 280+ bull he could help. 280 isn't what I'm after but the + might be, I told him to send me his plan for me a few weeks ago and nothing has come. makes me wonder how much attention to detail he pays if he can't even go to the trouble to talk a hunter into booking.

If anyone has any input on other outfitters in the area good or bad I'd like to know, if you'd talk but want to keep it private PM me, and I don't repeat anything I'm asked not to.

I'm starting to think if I do it at all I'll just hunt on my own.

check out madglassers website and call him I know he has some helpful info and he's willing to give good solid advise.

southwesthuntingadventures.com

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom