4 Wheelers Question

I

idahoelkinstructor

I don't want to get into a big bash about them, I am just wondering who here owns one and if you want to give your opinion do that too, but lets try and play nice shall we. I agree they are misused quite a bit and it seems that a lot of hunters do own at least one. I as well as many others have had a hunt or two wrecked by the dang machines being not where they are suppose to be. I admit when I have found them where they are not suppose to be, I wanted to give them a adjustment. I have never done that, and never will even though its tempting. Twice in the past I have left a letter on the seat letting people know that they were breaking the law and that I have called the fish and game. Of course I was fibbing, because both times I couldn't get cell service, but they seemed to take the hint and didn't come back with their wheelers for the rest of my hunt. Now I admit I myself do own one, and do use it when and where is legal to go from point A to point B. Most of that is in the dark and I hike from their. Its not uncommon for me to put in 10 to 14 (roundtrip) miles on my feet in a single day when bowhunting. These last two years thanks to my father in law I also have good young horse, and though I am not much of a horseman/cowboy I am learning and liking it very much. I know that is the dirrection I will be heading into the furture as I grow older. I am 31 now and can still hike just about anywhere I want. As well I can still manage to pack out elk on my back, and have done so for many years. But I admit its nice to let the horses do the hard work. I am used to packing it to where I could legealy bring in my wheeler. Enough of me being long winded lets here what you have to say. Jason

Not 100% sure of your question, but I'm only a little older than you. I've never owned an ATV and doubt that I will, I just don't like sitting on my rear when I'm in the woods, because where I hunt you can access the hunting on foot pretty easily. That being said, it totally depends on where you hunt and how you use them. Actually hunting from one is pretty absurd at any age, I know a couple in their 70's that hike in hunt every year and drag a couple bucks out. Anyone can do it, unless you have a disability. If you think deer don't hear them coming a mile away and skidaddle, that's not true. Just drive any piece of National Forest as it begins to snow on bare ground. You will see so many fresh tracks compared to the few deer you will actually see it will blow your mind. Where I have hunted for years, I have honestly never seen one of the numerous ATV hunters get anything but a sore butt. Sounds like your using one the right way and still do the leg work.
Good luck, -D

I have one but use it like my truck, where I turkey hunt and elk hunt it would take me a couple hours to get to in the truck, its real rough, takes me 20-30 minutes on the quad so it saves time and wear and tear on truck.

I'm with kirkl, excellent tool to save wear and tear on a truck.
I am very concerned at the number of people I see obviously hunting off the machines.

I have an 03' 660 griz and use it sparingly and love it..however if you obey the laws and respect others hunter its cool! Some just look for fights about them..... but screw them....
rackmaster

I have used a quad for many years to hunt. It is alot easier to get down some of those 4 wheel drive roads on a quad than my pickup. There are always those that break the laws on where to drive them and they give all of us a bad name. But a few years ago in Wyoming I saw a couple of guys drive a pickup into the bottom of a canyon off road...so there are some idiots everywhere. So use the quad to get as close to your hunting area (on the roads) then walk.

I don't have one. There sure are a lot of them though and I have nothing against them if used legally. I can't justify the expense. I would need a trailer, which means license and insurance every year. I just wouldn't use it that much.

Most places I hunt you couldn't get a 4-wheeler into, unless you cut it into small enough pieces and carried it in. LOL

Steve

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-06 AT 07:42PM (MST)[p]Ho yeah I almost forgot to pick up 5lb of roofing nails befor I go out next year.I dont have a problem with them as long as they stay on their side of the fence. Or the single strain of barbed wire at chest level lol.

Kyle

NAILS & BARDWIRE, you need to grow up a little. I'm A Vet Nam vet and this really doesn't go good with whats being said. I use a Quat to get to and from my hunt location and if I found someone messing with my $hit well lets just say this, it wouldn't be the first time I ever pulled a trigger.

I have 2 of them. I am not really sure they are worth the money. I hardly used them on my elk hunt. Like the other post said, they are only good for saving wear on your truck.

However, its fun to take the family for a ride in the summer.

If I ever get rich I will trade them in on horses!

Well, I own one, but havent dared to use it with BOBCAT in the woods. Cant afford a new one. 1 shot.

Mossback
Like I said as long as they stay on their side of the fence I got no problem with them but. I got a few guys that like to ride up the hill to my hunting spot which I have permission to hunt and patrol not them. Me and my father have posted it, yet that did no go, hell I even tryed to talk to the s0b's face to face. So I have to take a more hands on approach.

Kyle
P.S. when riding in my neck of the wood dont forget to duck

I too own 4 wheelers but they are used leagally .. We use them instead of the PU .... Where we hunt the roads are open if designated....I ran into a hunter on a 4 wheeler where he wasnt supposed to be I told him to get it off the mountain... he said he got up there on a road .. I explained that the road was closed and he needed to know which roads were designated and which ones wern't... I also told him I would turn him in if I seen him up there again... I think he left and went home because we never seen him again... I sure wish people would do a little research... We also used to hunt on the south slope of the Uintahs ....no atv allowed ... we were up there last fall and there were 4 wheelere all over the place .. we called the forest service and they said they couldnt controll it so they are allowing 4 wheelers... what a sad deal!

I own zero.
Few and far between where I hunt since new regs are in place. I like it like that.
Just me and a couple of skinny fellas scoping hundreds of undisturbed elk.
Nick

mtmuley I'm as mellow as mellow can be, and as far as having a problem I really don't have any problems except if someone messes with my stuff when I'm out hunting.I do everything by the book and thats all I ask of anyone else.There are other means of taking care of the people that don't obey the laws. Thats what they have game wardens for. Not a knife in the tires or wire acrose the road. Oh yea by the way I haven't been called a dude in a long time....thanks.

Those people on this site that would do harm to someone elses property are just as much the criminals as those riding their wheelers where they shouldn't be.

However, I think most people are just blowing smoke. they would not do half of what they say they would.

Your right Elkantlers I have not tryed the roofing nail yet. I made the mistake of puting some ornge flaging tape on the barbed wire last year. When I returned the next day I found it on the ground and quad trax over the top of it. The good thing is the last 2 years me and my father have took two 18"+ blacktail on the property. I realy burns my A** ,to hump up the hill for 45 min. just to find some a-- hole looking down on you from the ridge because he road his quad up there and is now tress passing.

Kyle
Im thinking Im not the only one this has happend to

Elkantlers, I wouldn't put too much faith in that thought, at least not in Wa. Most hunters where I hunt know they will never see and enforcement officer up there ever. I've called in myself numberous times and all they ended up doing two years later was relaxing the rueles for ATV's. That being said I definitely don't condone anyone doing harm to another's person on this issue -just maybe perhaps make it a little more difficult for them to get up that trail they had in mind..................... -D

Deadred707 is trying to protect their own private property. Why would anyone object to putting up a barbwire fence? Not me. I know the property, and anyone hunting there is deliberatly tresspassing. It would take all day to get a warden out there if at all.

Just ride your quad where it belongs and you got no problem. What's so hard about that???????

Steve

Hey Steve
We were in the bar one night at the lake thats just 5 mi. down the road form where we hunt. Some A-- hole thought he would be a tuff guy and smack his old lady around behind the bar at the hotel. Me and a buddy took her in the bar to get some ice on her eye and locked the door,after leaving Mr. Tuff guy with a few more knots on his head. The girl behind the bar called the cops.It took 2 1/2 hours to get a cop out there.
There is no way they would respond to a tress pass call.

Kyle

I've got one for funnin around on and working but they shouldn't be used for hunting off of. Not that I think a guy is going to have a better chance of killing something on an atv than i will on foot. But it's just lazy. Plus I always seem to find atv tracks where they shouldn't be which pisses me off.

"I'm A Vet Nam vet and this really doesn't go good
with whats being said."

What the heck does this have to do with ANYTHING?

I don't own one, and may never; although, I do see where it would be nice to have one instead of crashing down the roads in my pickup. Just don't know that I would use it enough to justify the cost. One of they guys I usually hunt with brings his along and 3 out of 4 hunts, it never leaves the back of his truck. To me, most of the fun of being out is to get away from all our noisy modern devices. I have had several hunts ruined when someone comes popping along on an atv where they shouldn't be. I purposely hunt areas I don't think I will see this sort of lazy hunter. Working hard for a trophy (big or small!!) is worth it to me.

I bought a new ATV last year after getting a bonus at work. It still hasn't been off the pavement. I use it to push snow, but it hasn't been out of the truck during the hunts. With my sons playing baseball during the summer months, I have not been able to ride like I thought I would. If I had a chance to do it again, I might reconcider the purchase.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom