40 yr old recurve OK to shoot?

Joe2Kool

Very Active Member
Forgot to put this in my previous post, is a 40 year old recurve bow safe to shoot? It hasn't been shot in 30 years, and always stored indoors, so no heat, cold, or sunlight damage.

Thanks.

No. Unless life insurance is in place.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Wear welder gloves, a bullet proof vest, and a full shield motorcycle helmet for the first shot. If that shoots okay, you should be fine.

Hmmm. 2 out of 3 MM posters agree. (Gotta be some sort of record!) I think it can stay a closet ornament for now. May promote it to wall ornament in the near future.

Joe, a serious answer. Just try it with about half draw, then increase it a little at a time and check for signs of stress. It might be fine. I have one older than that and it's fine. It's a #45 Fred Bear bow.

Same as others have said inspect and make sure you don't see any cracks. When you go to
String the bow listen for any cracking sounds or popping. Then shoot half draw like eel said and go a little further.
My first bow was an old bear recurve that was purchased new in the 50?s or 60s that had been in my grandparents closet for 30 years and I hunted with it for my first few years archery hunting around 2005 and it worked well. Actually killed one buck with it

Many of the older recurves/longbows used a different adhesive than is used today....so just watch it. I have my first Herters Lemonwood Recurve from mid-70's that can still cast an arrow.

The one thing you'll want to watch with those bows from that time-frame is to ensure one of the limbs is not twisted......which was common before bowstringers became popular. Use a stringer with them!

BOHNTR )))---------->

I'm a believer in Murphy?s Law when it comes to archery tackle.

It's guaranteed not to break until right before you need it to seal the deal.

Speaking from experience!

Zeke

#livelikezac

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom