C

cowboy57

I might have a chance to hunt these units in the 3rd season.I have hunted different parts of this State and love them all.this going to be my first time in this area, and a
last minute thing.Can anybody give some infoe on this please. cowboy57

I hunted third season five years ago in 421 south of Colbran. I never saw a single buck but saw a ton of hunters. Never do it again.

Hard units to hunt. Lots of people. Unit mainly managed for pure numbers of hunters and as a result the quality is low. I grew up hunting those units and once I was old enough to hunt on my own, I have not been back. I have friends who still do, but most do not have great success. If you had a general area you wanted to hunt, or even a species I could help you out some. In unit 42 that lat you will have a hard time finding many elk in the open. You either have to bust the timber or look at all the elk on the private. Deer are a little different, that late in the year there can still be some good bucks up high but most will head down into the private. There really is nothing great about the unit there are tons of atvs, and not many places of uninterrupted habitat for the elk to take shelter in.

I would focus on the lower BLM grounds and forget about the higher Forrest...

Good luck...

Shooting a dink shouldn't be a problem. Finding a toad on blm is pretty tough. I have eaten a tag there the last few years in search of something good. But, big or little, its always fun to have a deer tag in your pocket whether you kill something or not. Good luck

We had muzzle deer tags there and spent the front part of the week looking hard as high as we could get elevation wise. Tough go. seen very little sign or deer..We both ended up with respectable bucks, however we ended up paying a trespass fee in an essence with a trade for an IA whitetail buck that's about to happen. Met some great people that we'll have a long term gig with if all goes well. If your after that kind of gig give me a holler and we'll talk it over. Best of luck
Riggo

How about there for archery elk. Heading there mid September. Have a few spots picked out. Any places to avoid? Going to be staying 41 but plan on being mobile since its our 1st time to this area.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom