411-15 What to expect?

H

HKShooter

Me and a buddy are venturing to 411-15 for a couple weeks toward the end of archery season. We both drew combo tags. I have to say that Montana confuses me more than any other state as far as regs and what I actually drew...I know that sounds stupid, but my buddy did most of the research and I think it would be wise to do some of my own.

Can I hunt deer and elk with the 411-15 combo?

I heard all the elk are on private land??? Is that true?

Is the access program a good thing in these units?

What can we expect? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

HK

You did not draw a special permit they were unlimited and one had to apply before June 2 and the permits are good in Hunting Districts 411,412,426,511 amd 530. The permits are good for either sex elk between 9/6 to 10/19. You drew the combo license. This is a huge area with lots of private land and some federal and state land with a good amount of Block Management units.

I do not know much about hunting elk in this area but I would start doing some research before coming out here on where to hunt. If you can not find a good place to hunt then I would go to Southwestern Montana with your combo license.

You can hunt every unit in the state that isnt permit only with your combo tag for deer and elk. In addition, you can hunt all the HD's above during archery season with your 411-15 permit. Im sure you already know you have to use your elk license with your elk permit.
ismith

48461bbc1c983664.jpg

So with this tag I don't have to only hunt the areas ELK just mentioned, but I can hunt any of the other general tag areas too??. I know this tag used to be OTC, but I understand they put an arbitrary cap on the number issued.

Is the access program a good thing for hunters and worth the time researching?

I'll be doing as much research as possible. We are coming from opposite ends of the US.

Thanks for your time guys.

HK

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-08 AT 08:43PM (MST)[p]Yes you can hunt in general hunting districts. There is alot of public land in those HD's that ELK mentioned. Get some maps and start doing to map scouting. There are some big bulls killed in those units every year. Get a Block Management guide sent to you from fish and game, it should be out on August 15 and yes it is a great program!
ismith

48461bbc1c983664.jpg

Roger that and big Thank You in more ways than one.

HK

GO HARD KORE OR DON'T GO AT ALL

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom