43lb Rainbow

HunterHarry

Long Time Member
Big ugly hatchery fish that is floating around the internet.
Caught in a river in Saskatchewan.
trorm0.jpg

Going salmon fishing with my kid in the morn, hope I have some pics of my own to share ....
HH

What a pig! I'm probably wrong but don't they cut the top of tail when it's a hatchery fish, that looks like a full broom to me? Good luck on the salmon...

>What a pig! I'm probably wrong
>but don't they cut the
>top of tail when it's
>a hatchery fish, that looks
>like a full broom to
>me? Good luck on the
>salmon...

There were rearing pens on the river that were damaged and some large broodstock escaped into the river.
Normally the adipose fin is clipped on most hatchery raised fish.
HH

NOW THERE'S A FISH!! Is there any way of telling how old that fish is? Judging by the head-body ratio it isn't that old and that thing has been doing some serious fast growing by the football shaped body. They have been planting Eagle Lake rainbows here in Wyoming for about 10 years now and they look like that---Here's some I caught a couple of days ago.

I believe the fish is a triploid rainbow. Basically a hybrid sterile fish that grow to enormous sizes. All they do is eat and actually taste very good but they are fatty.
An example of their size: An 11 lb steelhead is about 31" in length or so. A 31" triploid would be about 25 lbs.
We caught a bunch of them in Washington State that were about 24" or so but were 10 lbs.

I know steelies are the adipose, but I think they clip the top corner on freshwater trout. In either case it make for a helluva kodak moment. From the size of that cyclops they weren't fishing for 11 inch planters.

Nice bunch of fish, especially that brownie on top Longrun.

Hey longrun if you fish fontonelle, I was wondering can you eat the Kokanee when they come up the spillway to spawn?

I caught and released a bunch, but a local came up and said if they were green, they were still good to eat. True / False

Well to be honest I haven't ever caught kokanee out of the Green River yet so I don't know the answer. Yes they plant Eagle Lakers in Fontenelle and these fish came up the river from there.

never heard of them cutting the tail fin, but after periods of time in the concrete hatchery tanks, their fins gets tattered and badly worn from rubbing on the concrete and the tails are usually first to go.
i'd bet that fish is a triploid too, but i've always heard they taste bad to eat.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-13-07 AT 07:03PM (MST)[p]I asked a salmon/trout guru ( a guy with INCREDIBLE fishing credentials!) I know about that triploid thing (sterile, so that all their energy goes to body size)
He told me that those fish don't have very long lifespans and he doubts that they could live long enough to attain that size, but he had little doubt of it's hatchery origins based on it's dimentions and overall appearance.
HH
Here is what a nice wild fish should look like.

22575958cc0.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom