44 vs 61 vs 10 4th rifle deer

Kayak_to_hunt

What unit would you choose to hunt bucks for the 4th rifle season if you had the points - 10, 61, or 44?

10 seems tempting with the super low tags #'s. 44 has the genetics but has it recovered enough to burn 13 res points? Or would a Nov hunt in 61 trump them both??

So what do you guys think?

None of the above. If you have that many points i'd look for something else like a RFW or hang on and wait for the herd to rebound.

61 would beat out the other two IMO

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

+1, these are 'good' tags but not worth 13 points. Check out the better ranches enrolled in the RFW program.

amount of preference points it takes to draw a unit is not a direct reflection of the quality of deer in the unit. But of those units i would hunt 44.
JC
Colorado Hunting Consultants LLC
www.cohunthelp.com

I spent 3 days in unit 44 during the 4th deer season last Nov. with a buddy that has the points to draw it this year. Well he is putting in for unit 10 which we went to after we didn't see anything in 44. I was very disappointed with unit 44, I talked to the DOW officer and he said the animals had not moved down yet. We were about 500 feet above Eagle, Co and there was 2 feet of snow plenty of snow to move the animals to the winter range.

Thanks for the replies and you guys have us looking into the ranching for wildlife programs that are out there. This would not be for this year but maybe next.

Also I should have said that this hunt is for my 67 year old father who is not your normal 67 year old as he is still trains for marathons, lives at 8k ft, and is in marathon shape. He says he wants to out do his personnel best buck but we both realize that this will be almost impossible as his best is a 33" wide buck, with 21 scorable points, that scored right around 220".. Must have been a grand time to grow up in glenwood springs and have hunted mulies around there in the 50's - today!

I will pry start another thread but if you want to give out info - what are the best deer ranching for wildlife programs? I looked at the dow information page and have called a few and will call more. We are used to hunting public land and have done well so private ranches would be a bit different for us.

Thanks again as all this info has been helpful.

61 is tough you better be willing to eat tag soup if you go there or get a guide with land.

Yep if u want 2 hunt 44 like Jared sez u need 2 know where 2 look. But if u have outfitting permits in unit 61 u will darn sure try to stear people 2 other units. Good luck in whatever choice u make. Why dont u go ahead and choose 28 for example.
Yote

I drew a unit# 44 tag in 2009 and after looking around for 3 days prior to season I saw one 3 point and one small 4 point that was on private. I guess the winter of 07 and 08 must have taken it's toll. I turned my tag back in.

Im a unit 10 guy. Helped guys in there 2nd through 4th season. Pulled out a 180 and a 191 typical during third. Had a shot at a real monster 4th season but the guy I was with blew it and shot the wrong buck as they lay bedded next to each other in the sage brush. 10 is alot like 44, you just got to know where to go, not blow you away kind of deer numbers but seems like when you find a buck its typically a good one. The 5 day season really puts the pressure on to get it done quick though so scouting prior to opening day is a must. Majority of the deer do come down low, particularly around Desarado Mine and Kenny Res. I can help you further if you're interested.
Coloradoboy

Coyoteman2, If your directing that comment at me. I don't have outfitting permits in 61. Wish i did but i don't!
JC

LAST EDITED ON Mar-30-11 AT 12:01PM (MST)[p]44 will always produce a few good bucks each year due to genes, but the fact is, the unit is still dead. The winterkill never recovered, and the 4th season didn't help the remaining mature bucks. Even the DOW obviously thinks it is bad, they only gave out 15, 3rd season tags last year...Now you have douchebags like Moss and company, and Barf Carter trying to kill the last good bucks out of there on governor's tags.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-30-11 AT 02:19PM (MST)[p]I agree! It would do 44 great justice to honestly be shut down for a deer for a few years. The numbers aren't great to start with and the good bucks that remain seem to get whacked every year. They need to give it a rest to get the gene pool rejuvenated IMO.
Coloradoboy

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom