45” wide monster buck killed yesterday

I’m gonna get on the soap box for minute because this has been sticking in my craw.

The thing that grinds my gears the worst about this and the previous WLH snafu’s is the blatant double standard that the state enables.

Last year I put myself and a conservation permit holder in a really poor position. We had literal charges filed against us for a crime that not only could the state not prove we committed but one that I was able to demonstrably show we hadn’t. It put my standing with DOPL at risk and did significant damage to reputation to both of us.

WLH posted pictures of a sheep literally killed on a closed unit, there’s audio of wade arranging an illegal lion shoot, they’ve been kicked off AI, a bear chased off bait with Don Jr., now presumptively a helicopter used on video to illegally aid in the harvest of the governor’s tag elk, and the possibility of numerous guide, spotter, and flight violations for the deer.

The state jumped at the chance to investigate and charge a guy with a lowly Wasatch cons tag that in hindsight is what I can only describe as a railroad job prayer based on the assumption we’d plea it away quietly. Then from where I stand bends over and says give it to me again with the highest profile tags and hunters.

Hunters should be calling the director of the DWR, the head of LE Wyatt buback, and the San Juan county DA demanding action. Hell DOPL’s door should be beat down until they reconvene the outfitter and guide board.

The fact is, in this state, the dollar speaks. We don’t have enough oversight or funding allocated to oversight to be effective when that dollar yells too loud. The burden of ethics, morals, and integrity is squarely on the shoulders of guys like me, and unless I choose to operate accordingly the reality is I can operate with a significant level of impunity. You get an outfit like WLH with high pressure winner take all stakes and all bets are
Should we change the title topic of this thread for you so you boys can keep going on about WLH here, and create a new thread to talk about the giant Buck? Wouldn’t want all of your keyboard time talking about them to not be able to be found later by those interested, just watching out for your best interest.

L
Should we change the title topic of this thread for you so you boys can keep going on about WLH here, and create a new thread to talk about the giant Buck? Wouldn’t want all of your keyboard time talking about them to not be able to be found later by those interested, just watching out for your best interest.
Let’s do it, how about ‘Did WLH poach both gov tag animals?’

That’s a guaranteed 500 post thread.

I’m gonna get on the soap box for minute because this has been sticking in my craw.

The thing that grinds my gears the worst about this and the previous WLH snafu’s is the blatant double standard that the state enables.

Last year I put myself and a conservation permit holder in a really poor position. We had literal charges filed against us for a crime that not only could the state not prove we committed but one that I was able to demonstrably show we hadn’t. It put my standing with DOPL at risk and did significant damage to reputation to both of us.

WLH posted pictures of a sheep literally killed on a closed unit, there’s audio of wade arranging an illegal lion shoot, they’ve been kicked off AI, a bear chased off bait with Don Jr., now presumptively a helicopter used on video to illegally aid in the harvest of the governor’s tag elk, and the possibility of numerous guide, spotter, and flight violations for the deer.

The state jumped at the chance to investigate and charge a guy with a lowly Wasatch cons tag that in hindsight is what I can only describe as a railroad job prayer based on the assumption we’d plea it away quietly. Then from where I stand bends over and says give it to me again with the highest profile tags and hunters.

Hunters should be calling the director of the DWR, the head of LE Wyatt buback, and the San Juan county DA demanding action. Hell DOPL’s door should be beat down until they reconvene the outfitter and guide board.

The fact is, in this state, the dollar speaks. We don’t have enough oversight or funding allocated to oversight to be effective when that dollar yells too loud. The burden of ethics, morals, and integrity is squarely on the shoulders of guys like me, and unless I choose to operate accordingly the reality is I can operate with a significant level of impunity. You get an outfit like WLH with high pressure winner take all stakes and all bets are off.

You should be pissed.

And everything you said is true.

But we forget the ending of these.

The Waldrips threatened legal actions. It wasn't the DWR that let it go, it was the Juab County Prosecutor.

There's not a snowballs chance in hell that either of these clients didn't know who, or what WLH was about. Not a chance they didn't see the spotters. And let's face it, not a chance they didn't know where tens of thousands of dollars spent on chopper fuel and pilots was going. Reality is they didn't care.

And THAT is the issue in this State.

And if you think for a second THE DON isn't in overdrive lobbying, you are nuts. These two tags getting charged with them shines a very bright light on the whole tag for sale industry, and the for profit industry this state has become.

This issue never goes away as long as 2 animals are worth a million dollars.

Get Wade, Kalan gets licensed. Get Kalan, his daughter gets a license.

It happens weekly in construction.

Your earlier post was correct. A rich dude facing charges might not appreciate WLH much and bankrupt him in lawsuits. That's how this really ends

How about

"How much does a chopper and spotters cost"?

The Waldrips threatened legal actions. It wasn't the DWR that let it go, it was the Juab County Prosecutor.

While technically true the case was officially declined by the prosecutor in Juab County, when leaders at the DWR tell said prosecutor they will testify on behalf of the defense, there isn't much said prosecutor can do.

So it really was the DWR that dumped it. They left that prosecutor with no other option than to decline the case. Rumor is those folks are all gone at the DWR now, so hopefully they are now more interested in enforcing the law than protecting law breakers.

Which should make for some interesting fodder here in the not-to-distant future!

While technically true the case was officially declined by the prosecutor in Juab County, when leaders at the DWR tell said prosecutor they will testify on behalf of the defense, there isn't much said prosecutor can do.

So it really was the DWR that dumped it. They left that prosecutor with no other option than to decline the case. Rumor is those folks are all gone at the DWR now, so hopefully they are now more interested in enforcing the law than protecting law breakers.

Which should make for some interesting fodder here in the not-to-distant future!

I'm hoping. But I'm still waiting for a simple trespassing suit.

I Asked!

But Nobody Answered!

So I'll Ask Again!

Does Anybody Have Pics Of This Buck When He Was JUST A PISSCUTTER 35"ER?

Does Anybody Have Pics Of This Buck When He Was JUST A PISSCUTTER 40"ER?

This Bull?

2023 governors tag bull.jpeg

How about a pic of the bull?

Wow, I hadn't seen the chopper footage yet. Props to whomever got that footage - it's much more damning than any hearsay or speculation.

This type of shady hunting/poaching, whether from WLH or MB or any old Joe Shmoe, is a real shame. It does no justice to the animal being harvested and it makes a mockery of fair chase hunting. To say nothing of the black eye it gives the hunting community with the accompanying in-fighting among our own ranks.

This thread is a good reminder to me that I need to (1) be familiar with regs and make sure I'm always following them to the letter, and (2) that anytime I see or suspect anything unscrupulous I need to try and document and report it.
See something? Document it and say something.

Wow, I hadn't seen the chopper footage yet. Props to whomever got that footage - it's much more damning than any hearsay or speculation.

This type of shady hunting/poaching, whether from WLH or MB or any old Joe Shmoe, is a real shame. It does no justice to the animal being harvested and it makes a mockery of fair chase hunting. To say nothing of the black eye it gives the hunting community with the accompanying in-fighting among our own ranks.

This thread is a good reminder to me that I need to (1) be familiar with regs and make sure I'm always following them to the letter, and (2) that anytime I see or suspect anything unscrupulous I need to try and document and report it.
See something? Document it and say something.

Shows the absolute arrogance. Not like there aren't a bunch of other dudes with spotting scopes and phones on the mtn.

And ESPECIALLY if you consider who it is, lots of dudes watching them, as is the dwr

And a question that will not get an answer on this forum from him. No way he comes on and gives any more details after these “rumors” have surfaced. (Even though we all know he’s reading them.)

Good god what a bunch of drama. I just now found this thread. Pretty amazing the conclusions people come to down at the hair salon.:rolleyes:

That video of a helicopter is amazing. :rolleyes:

The fact that they didn't post it on the internet definitely means a crime was committed.:rolleyes:

Do you fellas ever look at the crap yall type?

Good god what a bunch of drama. I just now found this thread. Pretty amazing the conclusions people come to down at the hair salon.:rolleyes:

That video of a helicopter is amazing. :rolleyes:

The fact that they didn't post it on the internet definitely means a crime was committed.:rolleyes:

Do you fellas ever look at the crap yall type?
Oh this thing is going 500 now ?

Obviously, the deer needed to live in the wide-open desert...because he wouldn't fit through a normal forest ;^)

Awesome buck and congrats to your dad!

How about it Trophytracker:

Did you Dad provide a helicopter and lots of flying money to locate this buck?

It’s a simple yes or no answer

Based on the previous post from this thread I'm sure people will respond negatively to anything said positively about WLH. But we are from AZ and before this hunt I had never even heard of WLH. I have nothing to go off of but this hunt, and we wouldn't have got this buck without them. My Dad is a super crazy straight arrow and we never had an issue. My Dad is also super picky, annoyingly so, but our WLH guy didn't give up trying to find us a buck my Dad liked. It was actually way different than most people probably think. Wasn't like they watched the buck all summer just waiting for the day of the hunt to pop him. To be honest I thought that is how it would be. Instead our WLH guy was scouring the country in all kinds of random units looking for a buck up until right before the hunt when finally found this buck. We then had to relocate the buck during the actual hunt and get him on the ground, again couldn't have done it without them. It feels like no matter what is said people are going to be skeptical and negative. Wish I could just share details of a great hunt without it turning negative but doesn't seem like that is possible. I am actually avoiding telling my dad about this thread because he would be super sad what the hunting community has turned into. We have enough people coming after hunters, shouldn't come after each other. I do know there are a few unbiased guys on here though, thus why I say anything. I have said everything I will on this topic for now. I wish everyone good luck this year!
Your lack of response, perhaps based on advice from legal counsel, sure indicates you, your dad, and others were involved in illegal activity to harvest this buck. It is looking more like the 'hunting community' is who should be sad with you, your dad, WLH etc.

Your lack of response, perhaps based on advice from legal counsel, sure indicates you, your dad, and others were involved in illegal activity to harvest this buck. It is looking more like the 'hunting community' is who should be sad with you, your dad, WLH etc.
Most people who are in the know have been at odds with how wlh operates, for a number of years.

I'd Bet That Buck Is A Red Flannel Buck!
If I remember correctly a guy from Scipio killed a 42” down on the souther desert, east of the Paria, 20-25 years ago. It was gangly like the buck above. But….. he was 42”, so….. enough said. ?. Another fellow from Richfield killed one right at 40” in about the same area, a couple years later. They were hunting buddies.

Last edited:
Hey Lumpy?

I get the Feeling You know A Little More On Them Bucks?

If I remember correctly a guy from Scipio killed a 42” down on the souther desert, east of the Paria, 20-25 years ago. It was gangly like the buck above. But….. he was 42”, so….. enough said. ?. Another fellow from Richfield killed one right at 40” in about the same area, a couple years later. They were hunting buddies.

Hey Lumpy?

I get the Feeling You know A Little More On Them Bucks?
Don’t really know all that much, those two kept their honey holes pretty private.

I saw both bucks the year they killed them, after they got home.

I coached baseball with the one gentleman and I knew they spent A LOT of years hunting east of the Paria, tracking out big buck in the sand. Their goal was a 40 incher and they both eventually got one. Truth is, I don’t know about the fellow from Scipio but the one from Richfield pretty much called it a mission accomplished and I don’t believe he hunted much after that. He got into snow mobile racing and some other bad habits. He is a focused drive type fellow and when he was in, he was all in, and then done, he was on to something else. He’s still a very good friend and I should go see him more than I do.

So?

I Can't Find Where Somebody Said The Buck Was Taken On A General Unit & Not On An LE Unit!

That Is BS!

I Know Where The Buck Was Taken!

And I Don't Think That Was On A General Unit!

So?

I Can't Find Where Somebody Said The Buck Was Taken On A General Unit & Not On An LE Unit!

That Is BS!

I Know Where The Buck Was Taken!

And I Don't Think That Was On A General Unit!

You only know because can’t told ya. Don’t act special! (Even if you’re really special.)

Don’t really know all that much, those two kept their honey holes pretty private.

I saw both bucks the year they killed them, after they got home.

I coached baseball with the one gentleman and I knew they spent A LOT of years hunting east of the Paria, tracking out big buck in the sand. Their goal was a 40 incher and they both eventually got one. Truth is, I don’t know about the fellow from Scipio but the one from Richfield pretty much called it a mission accomplished and I don’t believe he hunted much after that. He got into snow mobile racing and some other bad habits. He is a focused drive type fellow and when he was in, he was all in, and then done, he was on to something else. He’s still a very good friend and I should go see him more than I do.
If I remember correctly his boy killed a buck 38-39" buck during that time.

Also personally know of a 41" typical and 43" nontypical during that time. Not the same area but close.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom