45 cal bullet for elk?

What state are you hunting?

For elk, I'd use a barnes all copper bullet and buy it in the heaviest weight that they make. Ive tested the 300gr Powerbelt Platinum and i liked what the results with 80gr pyrodex. If colorado allowed the use of a .45 i'd use that load. You just need to find what shoots accurately in your rifle.

www.ThePowerbeltForum.Powerguild.net

There is not a great selection of .45 cal bullets. I don't think Barnes makes anything bigger than 190 grain. Way to small for Elk.
The best bullet for accuracy in my opinion is the Deadcenter bullets. I shoot the 260 grain bullets. I have to order them from prbulletscom. I have killed Three Elk with them. That being said I am pretty selective with my shots. I have put them through Deer shoulders without a problem but hesitate to try putting one through an Elk shoulder. They will hammer an Elk with a broadside shot through the ribs. They expand well and leave a great wound channel. The three elk I have killed have been from 70 to 166 yards. I use 150 gr of Pyrodex pellets.
Platinum powerbelts would hold up well, but no where near as accurate.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-29-09 AT 07:58PM (MST)[p]nowhere near as accurate? is this just your opinion or a fact? Ive shot plenty of conicals/sabots over the years and i cant say one bullet will out shoot the other.

But i can say which will perform better on game than the other.

You can put 2 rifles side by side and one may not like the same load that the other one is shooting. So saying that one bullet is nowhere near as accurate is... well it just doesnt make sense at all.

www.ThePowerbeltForum.Powerguild.net

Look at the No Excuses bullets. I think you can get a 385 grain, a 460, and even a 495 grain for a .45 caliber. All would work very well on elk.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom