45 cal on elk

muliefanatic

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-03 AT 02:59PM (MST)[p]What do you guys think about using a 45cal muzzle loader on elk?
I would like to get a muzzle loader and don't know what would be best a 50 or 45 cal

thanks for any help
Muliefanatic

I think .45 cal is plenty for Elk, Heck the .50 is'nt much bigger than the .45 anyways. I feel the .45 has better ballistics also.

Are you talking about a one-time hunt here (or) will this new rifle be pointed at elk all the time? If it's an elk gun... get the 50 ... if you want an all-purpose hunter... get the flatter & longer distanced 45.

What I did was... i told my wife I needed 3 rifles (45-50-54) for huntin' all sorts of animals. She believed my straight face... so my new 45 cal will be coming to my home this spring. She already OK'd it... as long as I remain a good boy, do all my chores and tell her once in a while I love her.

Ya gotta break them women in the proper way muliefanatic!!

Honey!.. I swear I got that stainless rifle free from an elderly widow at work that recently lost her husband.. I would never lie to you babycakes!

Watch it real close on the 45 cal. because a lot of states won't allow it for big game, other than deer and antelope. Idaho specifies 50 cal., but allows you to shoot sabot rounds greater than .428", so pistol bullets are OK.

I think the 45 is plenty for elk , work up the right load that shoots well outta your barrel with a good constructed bullet , and then shot placement = dead elk .I'm actually planning on getting a new 45 , I have two 50 t/c inlines but love the ballistics of the 45 , especially for antelope.....NMhuntnutt

p.s. triple se7en , could you please introduce me to that little widow , my wife said I should do more good deeds , so I'm figuring to do some yard work for this little lady , what do ya say ....NMhuntnutt

I would get the .50 caliber. I have read several articles in the hunting mags where even the manufacturer states that for elk sized game you should use the .50. If you are only using it on elk once in a great while I am sure it will do the trick. Like it is stated above, a lot of states wont let you use the .45 on elk so make sure it is legal and good luck to you in either case! Have a great day!

Chad

LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-03 AT 05:15PM (MST)[p]I'm convinced a person is more likely to get a more accurate rifle out of a .45 than a .50 or .54. All things being equal, what's a quarter inch or less in group size difference going to make when taking a elk/deer/antelope or whatever?

If I could only have 1 muzzleloader, I'd go with the .50 for my hunting needs. Plus, I'd buy one that could handle all 3 ignition types to meet the regulations of various states--#11, musket cap, & 209. I'd also go for a standard, not fiber-optic, open sights--that'll keep your options most open for various state regulations.

A modern .50 cal can take anything on this continent.

Thank you for all the info. I would be using my muzzleloader mostly on deer, and occasionaly on elk.

Thanks agian for the help

Muliefanatic

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom