47 Antelope

Chow_Hound

My 13 year old son and I drew area 47. We're hunting Oct 8-12. First time antelope hunting. Any advice on where to find a decent goat that time of year would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Look at the WGFD web site and get into the public access portion. There are a couple of Hunter Management Areas (HMAs) in the unit that are worth getting permission slips on. If you get out and walk about a mile from roads (if you can find somewhere a mile from a road, that is) you will lose 99% of the people. Although most of the pressure comes early, the type II tags start up around the time that you're planning, so plan on finding the goats a little stirred-up.

Contact the Wyoming BLM state office and order a Shirley Basin land status (surface) map. That covers most if not all of the area. The map to the east is Laramie Peak which covers any not on Shirley Basin.

Depends what your definition of decent goat is. Most older age class goats have been wiped out in recent years with the G&F pouring the coals to it with the amount of tags being given out during our drought years. The southern end olds quality animals primarily because it's mostly private. 11 - 12" goats are the norm on public ground. Not to say a few better goats aren't out there, but everyone and their dog will be chasing them and most will have already been dropped by the time you show up. I picked up a leftover 32 tag last year to take my daughter out. I shot a 76 gross goat near the end of the season. The wardens at the check station stated it was one of the better goats to come through which would've included anyone going north out of 47 back to Casper. 32 & 47 are area's you put in for if yer either looking for camp meat or want to take a kid hunting...

LAST EDITED ON Jun-26-09 AT 07:50PM (MST)[p]I took my biggest buck of my hunting life in unit 47 on BLM land in Shirley Basin.Get out and walk into the areas that you can't see from the roads.If you want a big buck,you won't find him standing near a road.I must have passed on a hundred or more bucks bfore I found what I was looking for and it was worth every minute. Good Luck and have a great hunt !!

To me ,you drew the best public land antelope tag there is !!

Rem308 has some good advice for you: "Get out and walk into the areas that you can't see from the roads." Despite the flat nature of most antelope country, there are many small folds in the land that can hide an entire heard of antelope. Lots of hunters will drive right by these spots. Key in on water sources and don't be afraid to head straight for them on foot even if you don't initially spot any antelope from the road. There will be antelope nearby. Besides that, there are plenty of antelope in the area you will be hunting.

Actually, all of the advise above pretty much holds true.

I think that it's a little harsh to say that the units are only good for camp meat or kids' first hunts. Obviously the hunting pressure in the Shirley Basin/Medicine Bow area is pretty high, but this actually indicates a mixed bag for hunters. The reason that so many tags are offered is that the herds are really, really over objective, which means there's alot of critters to pick from. The trick is getting away from the army of orange that's taking advantage of the large harvest quota. You can do this by getting out and hiking/glassing some country, or avoiding the opening day/weekend rushes. I wouldn't worry about finding the biggest bucks gone after the first weeks, as most casual antelope hunters will take the first buck they get an easy shot at, regardless of size.

Triple B's right about the average size of goats on the unit, but honestly, the average goat on ANY Wyoming unit, public or private, including the "famed" red desert units like 61 and 57, is going to be around 12 to 13", scoring in the high 60's to mid 70's.

I have hunted 47 5 or 6 times for goats and the red desert once. 47 has tons of goats and if you wait for the crowds to die you can have a great hunt. There are a few great goats out there, just be patient and cover some ground.

Comparing it to the red desert is a little off in my opinion. I have hunted the red desert and the quality was much, much higher than 47. Less people and an older age class of bucks. Your son will have a blast because he won't get bored because everywhere you look-antelope.

Rich

Area 47 antelope taken about three years ago. 14 and a half inches.

4a485f697b731bf2.jpg

I've hunted 47 & there are a lot of antelope. As already mentioned you have to get away from the roads to find better hunting. I've been out praire dogging in 47 in the middle of the day & had decent bucks come within rifle range. Just take your time & enjoy the hunt & i think you'll fill your tags.
7 Mag

We have hunted 47 for numerous years now. I think we have found a home there. It does get crowded but as stated before if you HUNT you will have no problem killing one. But this can and will work to your advantage if you use it. Find a good vantage point on a knob, take a lunch, and plan on sitting the day. About 10 o'clock most people start getting bored and start driving the two track roads. This keeps the goats on their feet and moving. Eventually they will push the goats right past you for an easy harvest. We have killed alot of goats out of there and never had one over 150 yards.

That is the way I plan on my muzzy hunt,also hunt elk in Colorado that same way.Let the other hunters move the animals to you.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom