5 Points

I'm considering using my deer points in 2016 or 2017. I'm a nonresident and I'm trying to decide if I should wait another year. I do not have a specific unit in mind and I would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks

7 Mag

No better year than next with the season dates. Rifle hunter I assume? or archery/muzzy high country hunt?

The decision really boils down to a 3rd season hunt vs a second hunt most likely. You can hunt "better" units in second season, or 3rd season for a "lesser" unit. Next year the season dates for the rifle hunts are as good as it gets. End of second season might get a little rut activity and 3rd should be pretty good. Of course weather helps a ton for many units. Let me know what season you would prefer and I will PM you the hunts you can draw with your points as a starting point. Once you narrow it down a little more, come back and ask specifics on 2-3 units and you will get responses from the gang here.

I was thinking the 3rd season. I've never hunted Colorado I've been splitting my time between Montana and Wy. Thanks again for your help.

7 Mag

WY & NM have took my time also! Should have never waited this long. I think I have 8 points. Was going to try 21 archery, but at this point, may try for a 3rd season rifle.

I hear you Junior I've been doing a lot of Midwest whitetail hunting and I'm tired of sitting in a stand headed back out west to mulie hunt the next few years. Good luck to you.

7 Mag

be aware that lots of people will be dumping points next year due to the late dates. 3rd/4th seasons will all likely jump noticeable from this year, the high demand units may jump 2 points or more. Good luck
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

>be aware that lots of people
>will be dumping points next
>year due to the late
>dates. 3rd/4th seasons will all
>likely jump noticeable from this
>year, the high demand units
>may jump 2 points or
>more. Good luck
>Mntman
>
>"Hunting is where you prove yourself"
>

It sounds like it will be a tuff draw next year. Depending on how this winters weather goes it might be a really good hunt next year. I think some might sit on their points another year or so and move up to a better unit with fewer points.

7 Mag

The last time the seasons were "perfect dates" most 3rd season units jumped 1 to 2 points to draw than it took the year before. I would expect a banner year for point creep with the conditions with 2 to 3 point jump in 3rd season hunts. Going to be a bunch of disappointed folks come draw time.

Rich

LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-15 AT 08:35PM (MST)[p]Txhunter58
I wanted to thank you for reminding me about the Trailhead website I joined them the other day. With all the CHIT STORM in Utah Im wanting to try hunting a different state so I'm thinking CO but when I went to their website holy moly information overload then I see your post on here and what a great starting place.
Oh by the way I got there just in time the price goes up $10 Jan1st.
Thanks again
Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

I am also looking to burn my 5 points this year. I have it narrowed down to a few units. 3rd season hunt in Units 22,63,68 or a chance at a 4th season hunt in 79. If any of you have info on any of these units I would love to hear what you have to say. Thanks

Your not going to have a chance at 22 3rd season this year, I don't think 5 would have got it last year. but with the new dates its safe to say there is no chance at it this year.

Jake H. BIG BONE HUNTING Page on Facebook.
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

I've decided I'm going to wait until 2017 that will give me 6 points. Since I'll be hunting solo I would like to find a drop camp on private land if possible. Still researching the units and I'm thinking 3rd season. Thanks for everyone's help.

7 Mag

Got ya, I to am looking at 22 second season for this year with 5 points. Haven't made a final decision yet though.

I'm not sure how much them taking away access to the private shell lease is going to affect the hunting as I have not spent much time on the unit. Is anyone willing to offer up some info on how this will affect the hunting on 22?

458738e374dfcb10.jpg

Look at the map. The lease is just a small fraction of the unit. Premium ground but a small piece. It will hurt those who have hunted in the past. But overal imho it would not be a deal breaker

That's kinda what I was thinking as well, but wasn't sure if there was something I was missing. Thanks for the info. Anyone else care to chime in?

458738e374dfcb10.jpg

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom