50 less NR tags in G

@nfh
Looks like they updated it..

Screenshot_20230420-134259_Samsung Internet.jpg

Say what you want, but the WY G&F does an excellent job of managing Wyoming's wildlife. I'm glad the commission, for the most part, listened to the biologists' recommendations. If the G&F didn't manage well, do you think our big game would be as highly coveted as it is?

Another thing to note: that pic of the deer stacked in the back of the truck is a bit of social media sensationalism. Those deer are stacked up like that every year on that highway whether there is snow or not. The winterkill has been horrific this year, but roadkill on that highway has been an issue for decades.
In the last several years have deer numbers declined or Improved? What has been done to help the deer herds improve? Here's a summary of some of this years actions after the worst winter in 80 years:
-Raise Non-resident permit fees
-Reduce Non-resident permits
-Implement Head-Start for Residents

LOL - Sounds like "Non-Resident Management" to me.

In the last several years have deer numbers declined or Improved? What has been done to help the deer herds improve? Here's a summary of some of this years actions after the worst winter in 80 years:
-Raise Non-resident permit fees
-Reduce Non-resident permits
-Implement Head-Start for Residents

LOL - Sounds like "Non-Resident Management" to me.
None of the three recommended by the Department or approved by the Department either.

In my corner of WY, the mule deer herd was recovering nicely from the winter of 2018-19, and was on a population growth cycle. Last fall the number of mature bucks was up dramatically, and the body condition of those we took was better than I have seen in years. The simple fact of the matter is nobody could have predicted this winter's impact. The other simple fact is NR's will always bear the brunt of tag cuts (this is the norm in nearly ALL western states). Buzz has clearly tried to explain about those three issues: this is mostly a legislative and commission process, of which the G&F has very little say in.

Will I hunt this fall on a resident general license? Of course! However, I will most definitely self-regulate my harvest. I've taken 4 mule deer in the past 11 years (1 in G, and 3 in K). Most of my resident friends do the same.

In my corner of WY, the mule deer herd was recovering nicely from the winter of 2018-19, and was on a population growth cycle. Last fall the number of mature bucks was up dramatically, and the body condition of those we took was better than I have seen in years. The simple fact of the matter is nobody could have predicted this winter's impact. The other simple fact is NR's will always bear the brunt of tag cuts (this is the norm in nearly ALL western states). Buzz has clearly tried to explain about those three issues: this is mostly a legislative and commission process, of which the G&F has very little say in.

Will I hunt this fall on a resident general license? Of course! However, I will most definitely self-regulate my harvest. I've taken 4 mule deer in the past 11 years (1 in G, and 3 in K). Most of my resident friends do the same.
Yes. It is funny all the whining by the NR. There were areas where the deer were coming back. Baggs was starting back, herds were climbing, bucks age class up and more…

50 more bucks will make it to the winter range next year, very few NR will leave without a buck. I know a lot of Residents will not just shoot a buck.
My girlfriend and I both left G last year with no bucks. Even had one in the scope. Was in range for me and not really for her. Tried to get closer for her and it did what lots of deer do. It was a ~22-24" 3 point. Would have been a nice first buck for her.

Even being from California, we aren't gonna shoot a dink and throw it in the truck.

I watched the commissioner meeting yesterday and had to turn in off made me sick watching people say the mule deer are special and need help but please don't cut the season or we don't need to cut tags. Then watch them kick the can down the road on season dates in 135 and 134 because of traditionally our season is October 1 or the kids will only have one day to hunt bull @#$%...

. The other simple fact is NR's will always bear the brunt of tag cuts (this is the norm in nearly ALL western states). Buzz has clearly tried to explain about those three issues: this is mostly a
Is it true that in most states non-residents bear the brunt of tag cuts? I don't have a problem with it in theory but when the G&F budgets of all of these states rely heavily on non-resident fees one would think an equitable distribution of tag cuts would be best for the G&F.

Is it true that in most states non-residents bear the brunt of tag cuts? I don't have a problem with it in theory but when the G&F budgets of all of these states rely heavily on non-resident fees one would think an equitable distribution of tag cuts would be best for the G&F.
In the case of all LQ cuts, which have been massive this year, we (residents) bear 80% of the cuts.

Last edited:
How many residents hunt G for the early season just to get out and maybe find that decent buck before their main hunting area opens up? Can I assume most are road hunters looking for an easy target? i doubt most pack in and put the work in

never hunted the area so dont know much about it.

Rolling back the season dates in 134 & 135 makes no sense. Hell, 134 isn't even in Region G! You'd have to roll back the season dates in all of Region K if you did that (the bucks in Region K would be WAY more vulnerable with a Sept rifle hunt). They are completely different deer and habitats than the areas north of LaBarge Creek.

Since I'm one of those damn out of control residents, I'm done arguing with people who don't live here, and think they should have a say of when and what I can do in my backyard.

I can't comment on 134. I'm not for or against rolling seasons, but what I see in 135 every year is a second opening date in G. Every year you have hunters that struck out in the Grays area coming down to the lower elevations shooting smaller young bucks, as 135 is very road friendly. It's your tag, shoot whatever you want. Alignment of season dates may eliminate that.....is that the thinking behind the proposal? Thats an observation I physically see every year where we are at in 135.

My girlfriend and I both left G last year with no bucks. Even had one in the scope. Was in range for me and not really for her. Tried to get closer for her and it did what lots of deer do. It was a ~22-24" 3 point. Would have been a nice first buck for her.

Even being from California, we aren't gonna shoot a dink and throw it in the truck.
Well thank you for being the exception. I've watched many groups of Nonresident hunters pack out entire bachelor groups of yearling bucks off the mountain, one group had four small 2 or 3 point bucks, they shot those 5 miles from the trailhead. #notallcalifinahuntersshootdinks #notallutardsaretards #gowesthuntutah

Quitcherbellyachin' and move here if you don't like nr tag cuts! We have had a 6-month long winter. We endure this for a reason. My wife hates it! It's a constant point of contention every year. I usually tune her out lol. I just can't give up the resident opportunity for hunting and fishing, so I endure both. It snowed again this morning, and more is expected later today. 42 for a high today, April 21. What's the weather like where you guys live? Want 6 months of winter? Move to Wyoming. Forget about the crappy weather. Move here for G&H muley hunting! Screw everything else! Make the sacrifice!

I don't know one single resident hunter who kills a deer every year. In fact, all of the resident hunters I know RARELY kill a mule deer. I haven't killed a buck in Wyoming for 15 years! We have already lost over half the Wyoming Range herd, and that's before carcasses covered in snow become visible (yes, the snow is still that deep in many places). Obviously, with only half as many bucks available, harvest will also decrease by at least half, especially with this winter still fresh on everyone's mind. Lots of folks won't even hunt muleys for a while.

I have NR relatives and friends who are affected by these cuts, so yeah-it affects me too; but it sucks for those guys.

This post is not directed at any one personally, so don't take it as such. Just sayin' my piece.

I recommend applying the smooth talk to the ole lady at the first possible opportunity...

Quitcherbellyachin' and move here if you don't like nr tag cuts! We have had a 6-month long winter. We endure this for a reason. My wife hates it! It's a constant point of contention every year. I usually tune her out lol. I just can't give up the resident opportunity for hunting and fishing, so I endure both. It snowed again this morning, and more is expected later today. 42 for a high today, April 21. What's the weather like where you guys live? Want 6 months of winter? Move to Wyoming. Forget about the crappy weather. Move here for G&H muley hunting! Screw everything else! Make the sacrifice!
I know 3 people with remote jobs from WA state who have done just that...they skip the winter part though. I've not personally looked at residency requirements, but these 3 are R's of WY for hunting and tax purposes...and they do not spend winters any where near wyoming.

This will be unpopular. But if tag cuts are going to happen in any unit, in any state, they should be 100% NR tags.

NR hunting should be excess tags, R should stay in front of the line, in all cases.

Might mean price bumps for R tags, but in my opinion, that's how it should go

This will be unpopular. But if tag cuts are going to happen in any unit, in any state, they should be 100% NR tags.

NR hunting should be excess tags, R should stay in front of the line, in all cases.

Agreed

I know 3 people with remote jobs from WA state who have done just that...they skip the winter part though. I've not personally looked at residency requirements, but these 3 are R's of WY for hunting and tax purposes...and they do not spend winters any where near wyoming.
As long as they domicile here for at least 183 days per year, they are legally a resident. That is, as long as they actually spend the time here. If you have enough money to have different homes throughout the country, why not just buy landowner tags? Seems like a hassle having two different homes and constantly moving back and forth. Oh, and BTW, I hope their kids go to school here. That also is a part of having your MAIN residence in Wyoming.

I worked for UPRR in Wyoming for 35 years. Trains came from SLC and Ogden daily, with crews from there. Though the RR supplied dormitories for them to stay in, some chose to get apartments and split between 4-6 guys (they were rarely here at the same time) for a little more privacy, I suppose. That and they thought they could claim residency here for big game tag purposes. Their main home was in Utah. Kids went to school there, they paid taxes there, and their wives all lived there. Utah was their main domicile state.

That didn't work out well for those guys. The rules are pretty cut and dried.

I hope those guys get investigated. Nothing personal.

Easy to say that when you don't leave your home state of Utah

If they didn't spend the whole first year here or claim residency for any purpose in another state, they are guilty of false oath. If they took any of those animals taken on a resident license across state lines not being a resident, they are in violation of the Lacey Act.

The GF should be hiring someone to check into the licensing for situations like this.

And if guilty maximum fines, jail, etc.

In years past Wyo F and G have seemed to be pretty commits to vet the false state Residence for hunting purposes, there still some Utah boys that slip through the cracks on occasion.
#MikeBrownLee

If they didn't spend the whole first year here or claim residency for any purpose in another state, they are guilty of false oath. If they took any of those animals taken on a resident license across state lines not being a resident, they are in violation of the Lacey Act.
From what I know - they do not claim residency in any other state; but they absolutely do not spend the brutal winter/early springs in WY. The one I know best...sharp guy...I'd be surprised if he was breaking any laws. He'll find any loophole in your laws...but he wouldn't break them...I don't think.

As long as they domicile here for at least 183 days per year, they are legally a resident. That is, as long as they actually spend the time here. If you have enough money to have different homes throughout the country, why not just buy landowner tags? Seems like a hassle having two different homes and constantly moving back and forth. Oh, and BTW, I hope their kids go to school here. That also is a part of having your MAIN residence in Wyoming.

I worked for UPRR in Wyoming for 35 years. Trains came from SLC and Ogden daily, with crews from there. Though the RR supplied dormitories for them to stay in, some chose to get apartments and split between 4-6 guys (they were rarely here at the same time) for a little more privacy, I suppose. That and they thought they could claim residency here for big game tag purposes. Their main home was in Utah. Kids went to school there, they paid taxes there, and their wives all lived there. Utah was their main domicile state.

That didn't work out well for those guys. The rules are pretty cut and dried.

I hope those guys get investigated. Nothing personal.
Guess you clarified the law there...they can be out of state for half the year and still be residents. We can guess which 6 months they bail on! I don't know them well enough to know all their motivations and finances etc. But just found it odd in the span of about a year 3 direct personal contacts have done this...2 are good friends of each other...and the 3rd doesn't know the other 2. Makes me wonder how many guys are doing this...or will be doing this...June-November in WY doesn't sound bad at all.

50 more bucks will make it to the winter range next year, very few NR will leave without a buck. I know a lot of Residents will not just shoot a buck.
Sorry plenty of residents fill their tag with 2 points.
Cause they care about elk more… just hearsay..

Watched commissions season setting video , first thing is I’d like to kick that landowner in the nuts, I don’t feel G&F should be responsible for any wildlife damage, put it to your insurance or build fences to keep game out FFS!! I was glad to see a couple of the commissioners concern for our mule deer!!!

I am sitting on max points for deer and 100% support the tag cuts for non-residents. Wyoming does not owe me anything. I choose to live where I do and I will always support that priority be given to the residents.

There are plenty of other hunting opportunities in my opinion.

I am sitting on max points for deer and 100% support the tag cuts for non-residents. Wyoming does not owe me anything. I choose to live where I do and I will always support that priority be given to the residents.

There are plenty of other hunting opportunities in my opinion.
Can’t speak to your arm strength. But quite a few people could throw a rock from where you live, and it would land in Wyoming. ???

Yep, that is true. I’ve since moved to Garden City but still very close. Spent a lot of time running around your state, following my son to wrestling meets. Great memories!

Guess you clarified the law there...they can be out of state for half the year and still be residents. We can guess which 6 months they bail on! I don't know them well enough to know all their motivations and finances etc. But just found it odd in the span of about a year 3 direct personal contacts have done this...2 are good friends of each other...and the 3rd doesn't know the other 2. Makes me wonder how many guys are doing this...or will be doing this...June-November in WY doesn't sound bad at all.
The biggest issue many overlook are the first year requirement of you must live and domicile in Wyoming for 365 days.

”Can I apply for a Resident License?
To qualify for any resident game and fish license, preference point, permit or tag, a person shall be domiciled and shall physically reside in Wyoming for one (1) full year (365 consecutive days) immediately preceding the date the person applies for or purchases the license, preference point, permit or tag and the person shall not have claimed residency elsewhere for any other purpose”

Domicile is established when the person demonstrates that he or she:

• Physically resides in Wyoming
• Has abandoned domicile in other states
• Has made his or her permanent residence in Wyoming
• Is not residing in Wyoming for a special or temporary purpose”

After the first year a hunter could then just spend 181 days in Wyoming but the first year requirement is the most often overlooked.

The biggest issue many overlook are the first year requirement of you must live and domicile in Wyoming for 365 days.

”Can I apply for a Resident License?
To qualify for any resident game and fish license, preference point, permit or tag, a person shall be domiciled and shall physically reside in Wyoming for one (1) full year (365 consecutive days) immediately preceding the date the person applies for or purchases the license, preference point, permit or tag and the person shall not have claimed residency elsewhere for any other purpose”

Domicile is established when the person demonstrates that he or she:

• Physically resides in Wyoming
• Has abandoned domicile in other states
• Has made his or her permanent residence in Wyoming
• Is not residing in Wyoming for a special or temporary purpose”

After the first year a hunter could then just spend 181 days in Wyoming but the first year requirement is the most often overlooked.
You literally can't step foot outside wyoming for the first 365 days in establishing residency? Or you simply can't claim residency elsewhere as you are establishing in WY?

You literally can't step foot outside wyoming for the first 365 days in establishing residency? Or you simply can't claim residency elsewhere as you are establishing in WY?
Keeping two domiciles and spending weeks if not months outside of Wyoming would certainly disqualify that first year as I understand it. Many think all they need to do is stay 181 days inside of Wyoming but the residency status issued by Game and Fish is trying to prevent those who are just snowbirds that first year. Heres more info. if you want to read about it. https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Am-I-a-Wyoming-Resident

Do you think that if you go to your grand father's funeral in Missouri for a weekend then the residency clock resets?
If you take your wife on vacation to Cabo for a week your residency clock resets?
Or if your work sends you to Maine for 2 weeks the residency clock resets?
I don't believe anything like that changes your residency.

If you are seriously considering moving and are worried about a potential problem just call F&G and get it straight from them. That way your are not getting bad advice on the internet.

Last edited:
Do you think that if you go to your grand father's funeral in Missouri for a weekend then the residency clock resets?
If you take your wife on vacation to Cabo for a week your residency clock resets?
Or if your work sends you to Maine for 2 weeks the residency clock resets?
I don't believe anything like that changes your residency.

If you are seriously considering moving and are worried about a potential problem just call F&G and get it straight from them. That way your are not getting bad advice on the internet.
I'm not moving, just sparked discussion per a few folks I loosely know who have become WY residents.

I concur with your assessment, but I'm not knowledgeable on WY laws related to residency. Would seem a bit absurd to literally interpret it as not being able to leave...which was my point.

It is an interesting topic though...I think as mobility/telework/remote work increase and as NR quota's decrease...this issue will increase in focus, far beyond just WY. Future GoHunt, Huntinfool, etc. companies probably ought to start focusing on this topic. It will be the new 'thing' in your 'application strategy' ?

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom