52 Antelope Muzzy Success

ElkSniper

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-11 AT 09:38PM (MST)[p]Alright guys we got two bucks from this weekend. Here is the story.......

MY BUCK

Opening morning was clear as we were passing by San Antonio mountain. Not a cloud in the sky as it broke daylight. That was a plus because it has known to pour on us in the past on this hunt. It never rained a drop. My dad and I were on our way out to the bottom of the valley to start glassing for bucks when we see two bucks running about 500 yards from us. Nothing big but nice decent bucks. The morning went on and we were glassing for bucks to go after. I was watching this one buck through the spotting scope. He was a big wide one about 15in long and 6 1/2in cutters. Had to of been a couple inches of 80.Very nice buck. As we were glassing some more. Sure enough they were already coming our way and fast. They had to of covered 500yds like in 2 min. As they popped their heads out we could see some nice bucks. One of which was pushing the 80in mark. They ran right in front of us about 130 yards. The big one was still in the back and didn't want to follow the heard with only his head popped out at about 230yards. I shot the second biggest buck. Nice buck about 70 in. I would have liked to of shot the bigger one but it happened very fast and Im real happy with the one I got.

Here are some pics.....
The T/C Omega's first kill
2119kiko_jr_2011_antelope_001.jpg

752kiko_jr_2011_antelope_002.jpg

1484kiko_jr_2011_antelope_003.jpg

3549kiko_jr_2011_antelope_005.jpg

Me and my little bro
7227kiko_jr_2011_antelope_011.jpg

My dad and me. Thanks dad for taking us out to enjoy the outdoors
4428kiko_jr_2011_antelope_022.jpg

The crew
7035kiko_jr_2011_antelope_024.jpg

Here are some more pics of the first buck.

Just after
6082kiko_jr_2011_antelope_035.jpg

7913kiko_jr_2011_antelope_037.jpg

MY DAD'S BUCK.....

As this hunt goes on it gets harder to get close to these antelope. In my opinion you got to be in the right place at the right time to score later on this hunt. It got real hard. We could not stalk these things at all. The morning went on and it was pretty slow. We started watching one of out friend across the hwy and looked like he shot a good buck. As my dad was looking over there through the spotting scope he saw a flash of brown pass in front of the scope fast. It was an antelope buck running from another hunter. He saw us and started running even faster. The buck stopped. My dad grabbed the omega and shot him at 230 yards right in the heart. Perfect shot

Here are some pics of my dad's buck....

9100dad_2011_antelope_016.jpg

My little bro admiring my dads buck
4312dad_2011_antelope_013.jpg

7361dad_2011_antelope_018.jpg

1852dad_2011_antelope_023.jpg

8709dad_2011_antelope_041.jpg

Some more pics of the hunt.

5401dad_2011_antelope_007.jpg

7842dad_2011_antelope_046.jpg

Sorry you guys didnt get to hear my dad famous play by play story.

Im more of a photo guy.

Great pictures, and goats. It was a pleasure hunting with your crew. I look forward to a few more in years to come. I have some stuff that I am sending up to you in the next few days, I will let your dad know. Thanks, Again for all the info.

ElkSniper .....Congratulations to you and your CREW!! Thanks for sharing the great pictures and story!! those are some nice Muzzy Goats!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Cortez Family strikes gold again! Kiko, never ever appalogize for sharing a great story with so many great pics....But I have a question for the old man, wheres the encore?

Good looking lopes there! Glad your dad and you both got one. Seems like a lot of people here on MM drew this tag.

Is it an easy draw?

awesome!!!! congrats, how do the antelope react to those little blinds??? how close can u get???

Thanks for all the replys guys.

This hunt is not an easy draw.

My dad's buck freaked out when he saw our blind. He shot that buck at 234 yards.

Passthrough...

Thanks! My dad told me. We really appreciate it.

purabura,

In my opinion those smaller blinds work better than the tent-like pop ups. Most of the time we put them close to a tree or some other structure. One year we used the pop up type and noticed that the antelope were very spooky around them. That same year, four of us were sitting in it( the wife, both sons, and me). Made for a very long day for sure. Since then we have gone to the panel type and had better luck. I would agree that antelope are still alert around our smaller blind and maybe the closest they have come to it is well inside 100 yards. Most of the time they get close enough for a shot.

I think the reason that one I got this year spooked is because I about jumped out of my camo as he ran through my field of in my spotter at close range as I witnessed paasthrough's hunting highlight or when I went for the muzzleloader that behind me.

Larry,

I think my Encore is very mad at me. Didn't hardly talk to me when I put it back into the safe. Through the years that Encore has had more action any other gun in my safe. After several range sessions with the T/C Omega 45, it was very clear it was ready for it's first two notches ever. That thing was was really shooting dead nuts ang getting great velocities. Anything inside 225 yards was a dead on hold. Here real soon I need to have a long talk with the Encore to get it ready for Elksniper's elk hunt. It's usually pretty good about not holding a grudge after feeding it about a pound of powder.

Elksniper,

Great job in documenting our hunt. Couldn't
have said it better myself. Proud of you son. Stop growing up so quick.

Congrates Team Ranchitos ( UPS ). This is team Fed Ex. Kiko Jr. you did live up to the family reputation on telling a good story. We like the extra pictures. You both did a great job and we are happy for you guys. With all that meat going into the freezer!!! If you need some extra storage I have some room.....

Elksniper/Crazyelk

Great story and bucks. That hunt was great my dad and I went but we both got a little buck fever and missed. angin really enjoyed the pics and story, and great job on the Euros the look nice.

Muliefanatic

ElkSniper ...Man you don't mess around, I'm still finishing up my July Oryx skull, I could not get the unborken horn to release for nothing and I did every trick in the book! I finally had to split the horn up the back with a chisel to get it off. Those Goat skulls look great!!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-11 AT 03:37PM (MST)[p]Buzztail,

I have the same problem with euro mounting oryx. I cant get those dang horns to come off. I did everything from steaming to boiling ect.I talked with the taxi and he said to just leave it on. It will be fine. Just fill the rim of the inside of the horn with super glue and lots of it. So thats what I did on the oryx. Antelope horns are way easier to come off than those oryx.

My uncle and my little bro have a doe antelope hunt coming up in a couple weeks.

Follow us in the HAC here on MM http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID52/28.html

Great job on the euro mounts. I did my wifes bull last year and mine last week. Love the white bone with the dark horn contrast.

Great hunt pics and story.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom