52 Muzzy Pronghorn

5yearcoueshunter

Hadn't pulled a Pronghorn tag for 11 years, so was super stoked to draw this tag. Turned out even better that my good friend drew as well.
After passing on a couple smaller bucks early on Saturday, I spotted this buck with a herd of about 15 Does about a mile away. I could tell he was a good buck that I wanted to see if I could get a closer look at. After figuring out which way the herd was moving, I drove down the road and hiked my way up as fast as I could up I draw that was out of sight of the antelope and hopefully would put me at a good ambush point. I had barely gotten to the clump of oakbrush I had picked out to stop at, when I saw a Doe crest the hill only 120 yards from me! I didn't even have time to really set up or even catch my breath. Finally after the entire herd had moved past me, the buck came up. The Does had gotten nervous and were starting to trot up the hill, so I didn't have much time to judge the buck. I could tell he was tall and had good mass so I decided to take him. I made a good shot right through the lungs and the buck dropped! I was super excited to take my first muzzy pronghorn, and turned out to be my best one to date.

100_1967v2_zpslgnql6vp.jpg
[/URL]

100_1956_zpscn76nvdb.jpg
[/URL]

100_1965_zpsiwbb59pp.jpg
[/URL]

Luckily my hunt wasn't really over, as I got to help my friend connect on a good buck. After 4 close calls, probably 10+ miles on stalks on Saturday/Sunday, including getting within 240 yards of a true giant buck but just not feeling comfortable with the shot, my friend took this buck on Monday morning. It was one of the funnest harvests I've been a part of. We bedded this buck on Sunday night in the middle of a huge flat. The next morning we tried several stalks that just wouldn't get us within muzzy range. Finally after setting up almost 3/4 of a mile away from the buck in a saddle we saw several herds of antelope go through the past couple of days, the buck got spooked by another hunter and came right through the saddle we were sitting on. 80 yard double lung shot.

100_1980_zpspp3qrcmk.jpg
[/URL]

20150824_144413_zps18hpve3i.jpg
[/URL]

In my opinion, this is the best Pronghorn hunt in the state. There are some really good bucks, tons of public land and very challenging. I hope to draw somebody again.

Good luck to all with pronghorn tags this year!
Travis

Great bucks!! Congrats to you and your friend. The quality up there really got my attention on my sons youth hunt. Will definitely be one of my choices on application next year..

Congrats on 2 very nice goats 5 Yr. From what Ive heard it was a Hard hunt this Yr. Only guys that filled there tags went VERY far from roads. All tanks are full... Water everywhere. Elk will be spred out also...Thanks for the pics.
Jack

Great animals, congrats! I went up a few years back and never knew there were that many game wardens in the state! Big antelope there...

LAST EDITED ON Aug-31-15 AT 10:35AM (MST)[p]Thanks for the comments everyone. :)

>Congrats to both of you on
>some nice bucks.
>I watched your hunt unfold through
>my 15's . Well played!
>
>
>JB

I think you talked to my friend and uncle after it happened? I'm glad someone got to see it besides myself! lol From my Dad's angle, he could see the Does go up the hill but couldn't see me or the buck. It's so cool when a strategy or plan actually works, especially when there is a million things that could go wrong.

Thanks,
Travis

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom