54 3rd Season (Deer)

My brother and I both had 54 3rd season tags as NR, It was a really tough hunt for sure! I hunted Monday through Sunday morning and my brother hunted Wednesday through Saturday. In all I saw 21 bucks only 3 mature bucks and the rest were yearlings and 2.5yr olds. We covered a ton of country driving roads and taking short and long hikes. Most deer/tracks were hanging in and around the 10,000 foot mid tier areas of the mountain but saw deer/bucks all the way up to over 11,000 feet. The bucks that were with the does did not show any signs that they were rutting at all, the 3 mature bucks I saw were either by themselves of still with other bucks. My brother ended up taking a small 3 point Saturday morning and I ate my tag after passing 7 smaller bucks Sunday morning. This was our first time hunting Colorado and although unsuccessful this time can't wait to have another go at it in the future.

Sorry to hear it was such a hard hunt, sounds like the warm weather had a negative impact on deer migrating to lower grounds and starting to rut. I was hearing that same thing from friends who hunted close to 54.

Pinetree

Have you hunted mule deer before? Sucks to hear about uit 54 being down. I've heard from a few others that it was off a bit this year.

I hunted 54 last year 3rd. Very tough. Very few mature bucks. A miriad of things have destroyed that unit. Winter kill I believe is number 1.

This year i was in there in 2nd season with an elk tag. I only saw 1 mature buck and hunted elk for a week.

I hunted 44 this year. And while I saw alot of bucks, not many mature bucks showed themselves. So my theory is the weather this year is keeping them in the timber.

But in terms of 54 I think there is a real issue there with deer numbers. Especially bucks.

I wasn?t in 54 but over towards Grand Junction for the 3rd season.
I have hunted Colorado for years and this particular area for 6 years and this was by far the worse year I can remember. Very warm temps and super Dry and Dusty zero rut activity in our area. My area is extremely thick with oak brush so I need cold temps or the rut to get them moving or otherwise they are very hard to find and we had neither.

"Pinetree

Have you hunted mule deer before?"

Is this a trick question Bambistew?

I've hunted mule deer every year since I was 14 years old I'm 36 now. As far as hunting mule deer in Colorado this was my 1st time ever. I was able to kill my best buck to date the last day of Utah's general season this year. I'm not saying it wasn't an enjoyable hunt it was just not what we expected for a 3rd season rut hunt. The country was awesome! But thick and nasty as well. I had my chances to harvest a mature buck or two but wasn't able to seal the deal.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom