55 Archery Elk

idahoguy

I keep hearing about the 5 bulls killed in 55 this year. They range in size from 360 to 430. I just want someone to verify it for me. Pics??? Stories???? Anything

Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-14 AT 05:31PM (MST)[p]I'm assuming there were more than 5 bulls harvested in 55. They made those units OTC archery for elk (55,56,57). Why F&G would do something that ignorant still amazes me. The supposed 430 bull was shot in 2009. No doubt some nice bulls were taken there this year though.

I'm sure there more than 5 shot this year. People always run their mouths about what a friend of a friends cousin heard. I just want some pics. 430 is huge. Most people think 300 is 380. I just get sick of all the rumors.

I have seen photos of the 430 bull,
one of the most massive bull's I
have seen taken out of Idaho! I dont
have photos, they wouldn't forward
them to me, so don't ask!!! Hahahaha

That is an amazing picture but there is no story or name or anything that goes with it. Anybody can post a pic where is the story??

I have heard the stories also, but no pictures hopefully someone will share

46cfa7275632b29c.jpg

They've been killing 400 class bulls for the past 5-7 years in those units and not one of them are in the books. So I am calling ground shrinkage in all cases..... I've seen plenty of pictures and have seen them hanging in sportsman bucks and bulls and still none of them are in the books... So its that dam ground shrinkage.. ( we've all shot that 30" buck and when it hit the ground it turned out to be between 24" to 26". It seems the ground will take 40" inches off a 200" deer and on elk it can take 50" to 70" off all those 400 class bulls... lol..) GROUND SHRINKAGE...

Or maybe thye have a good thing going and don't want all the press. I know where a 36 inch Muley is hanging on the wall that is well over 200 inches that is not in the books.

DZ

I hunted those units for 8 days and seen a handful of elk, what I did see was a guy on every ridge. Most guys I talked to had seen few or no elk.

>Or maybe thye have a good
>thing going and don't want
>all the press. I
>know where a 36 inch
>Muley is hanging on the
>wall that is well over
>200 inches that is not
>in the books.
>
>DZ

I shot a 320 bull with my bow and when it took a dirt nap. (ground shrinkage) It only taped to 278. There are a bunch of huge bulls in that unit. My point being they score 300 to 340 and not 400 which is huge. The problem with the units in the south is there are to many big bulls and during the rut they fight so hard most of the bulls are all broken up on the antlers from fighting so hard. Oh by the way a 300" bull is a big bull in Idaho I don't care what unit your hunting in.

+1 to nobaddays. I have only seen a couple bulls in idaho that I thought would go 350 plus and they looked preposterously large. Almost unreal. Even on this site you see people post pix with numbers that just don't compute. Not all the time but it happens. People get to wrapped up in the numbers. Pretty sure 430 bull would be scratching idaho state record status and i mean ya I'm sure nobody would want to be known for that. (Sarcasm)

I've been out hunting primarily 56-57.

I've seen 33-36 elk.

3 good bulls. Was able to put stalks on 2 of them. Actually got 2 stalks on the biggest bull. Blew them all!

That desert country is hard to hunt. Kuddos to anyone that kills a bull out there.

I did see a lot of hunters. Way more than I thought would be crazy enough to hunt that area.

From what I have been told this bull is from Idaho, this year...not unit 55. Does this bull reach the magical mark? I have been told it's green score does.

untitled11_zps60ef6717.png
[/URL]

Damn nice Idaho bull, What is the
magical mark you refer too? This
bull looks like a 350-360 bull.

Very nice!!!!

350 bulls are big! And rare!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-24-14 AT 11:00AM (MST)[p]Sorry, I did not mean to be vauge. The magical mark refers to 400 that was talked about above. Clearly, I have no idea what this bull measures...although I'd say it's pretty nice for any state.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii142/greatbasin_photos/untitled21_zpsb9675ca7.png[/IMG][/URL]

Sorry for the edit...I don't know the hunter, it was just sent to me in a text.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-24-14 AT 10:56AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-24-14 AT 10:55?AM (MST)

Very nice bull. I mean, that is a real toad! I agree it looks 360ish in the top photo but the front view makes it look bigger. Regardless, it is a real shaker bull...meaning I would really be shaking while trying get the shot off. :)

I heard the bull was shot in unit 54 with a landowner tag. I think its every bit a 385" plus bull but doesn't quite have the mass to make that magical 400" mark. Doesn't matter though it's a beautiful typical bull.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-14 AT 06:42PM (MST)[p]That bull will not go 400". I know who scored it and I know Todd personally. It is a true monster and the thing most of us dream of. My point being that is a true majestic beast but it does not make the 405 mark.. Sorry boy's.. Although I do believe there is going to be one scored over 400 out of that unit shot with a muzzle loader. The pictures don't do it justice....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom