56-1 late or 59-1 late?

crcountry

Fellas-
Max NR points and interested in my 1st guided horseback style hunt with the real possibility of a 350"+. Looking at either Boulder Basin Outfitters or Shoshone Lodge Outfitters for a late season migration hunt. Only (1)NR tag for each of these hunts in the "special" pool. 7-12% chance, so it's not impossible.

Any other ideas for a once-in-a-lifetime migration hunt for a big bull? I used to work in Jackson Hole and know a big ranch on the east side of the river that might be a decent bet for the late season snake river hunt...the issue is attempting to time the weather. The unit 78 hunt is so long, and the unit 59-1 hunt is limited to a realistic hunt timeframe where I'm forced to take off those specific days.

All mental masturbation as the chance of drawing is still way low. I will enter this years draw however, so looking for some imput.
crcountry

Good luck on whatever you decide, but I myself would never waste max PPs and the extra money for a special draw tag along with what a guided hunt costs when it all comes down to depending on weather for a migration type hunt.

Yeah, migration hunts, plane reservations, and 2000+ miles typically spells feast or famine. I guess an Oct hunt in the Shoshone National forest or wilderness area would be a fun hunt. I think there's also an early rut hunt in the Thorofare area, but from what I've seen, the upper end is tough to come by. Beautiful country though.
ccrcountry

From what I hear neither 59 or 56 did as well this year as prior years. I haven't heard any theories as to why but I assume weather.

Both are top hunts, if I had max points I'd be after either one.

Stay thirsty my friends

When i pulled camp out the last day of October this year...there were still the majority of the yellowstone herd running around freely far into the park...We never got a good enough storm to push out bunches like we usually do in October. That is why i would assume 59 late was tough this year, and could have led to a tough 56...but ive seen a handful of bulls taken on the 56 hunt this year...and they arent small by any means so far.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-15-14 AT 10:09PM (MST)[p]That would make sense, we were in 59 late last year and saw quite a few bulls. but that early October storm probably moved them out of the park.

The hunter I talked to who was in 56 this year said he saw quite a few bulls but nothing over 360.

Both hunts may be more weather dependent than I would have guessed.

Stay thirsty my friends

56,58,59 are all extremely awesome tags. A very tough choice for sure. Boulder basin outfitters will treat ya good on a late hunt. I know the trail they take and it will be on steep slick sucker but its a area that catches a major migration route.

I had the late 56 tag this year and tagged out within a hour and half in the hunt on my first day out. And sad thing is I know I could of done better. a good snow hit right before I went and my original plan was to take this week off and hunt and then a huge storm hit here and all I can think about is what kind of bulls are passing through now. But in the end im happy and dreaming is part of it

on 58 the hoo doo started allowing hunters to shoot bulls for a $500 fee then it was a $1000 fee and now I don't know what the deal is. I heard a outfitter kinda pays the hoo doo to have hunting rights but a simple phone call to Hoo doo ranch you can have your answer...

Are any of the late hunts do-able for an extremely motivated nonresident diy'er with access to horses? Or would 54-1 be a better option since it has no wilderness? 56-1 intrigues me as I have always wanted to hunt a December hunt but I don't do guided hunts. Max points and want to make sure I know what I am applying for. Feel free to PM me.

Don't know status of nonguided access for a fee on the HooDoo but Meade Dominic had the hunting rights for guided hunts last year.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom