6.5X284

I am looking at getting the Savage LRH in 6.5X284 Norma. So I have been going through at the Cabelas shooting magazine. They list their RCBS dies as 6.5X284 Win. Also they list the Norma and Hornady brass as 6.5X284 Win. The only brass they list as 6.5X284 Norma is Lapua. Are they all interchangeable? Are these just misprints by Cabelas?

I just did a search, as I had no idea on this one. It appears they are the same, other than what company manufactures the brass. Regardless of whether it's call a 6.5x284 or also has Norma added on, both are showing as having a .501 (12.7mm) base diameter. Hope that helps a little!

Thanks for the help guys. In my search so far it looks like the Norma has a little longer throat to handle a longer bullet. A gun reamed for a 6,5X284 Norma will take both kinds of brass. Once fired they will form to gun. Some guns reamed for the 6.5X284 Win will not take a bullet loaded for a Norma.
Another quick question on reloading. Do you need a special die to neck down a 284 win to a 6.5X284? Will the regular 6.5X284 die do the job? Would you use a full length or neck size die?

A bushing die would probably be the best to neck it down. They way you could control the size of the neck and do it in steps if needed. My question is why go to all that trouble. I'd just buy the lapua brass and load them up and shoot. IMO buying good brass saves lots of prep work n time and usually gives more firings if not loaded to hot.

Skip the RSBS dies and get Redding or Forster .. I'd probably pick Lapua brass over Norma...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Lapua brass has no equal, I wouldn't even mess with necking anything down.

Winchester screwed up big time letting Norma standardize this cartridge.

>Lapua brass has no equal, I
>wouldn't even mess with necking
>anything down.
>
>Winchester screwed up big time letting
>Norma standardize this cartridge.

Ill second that. Also you may want to look into Cabelas which has an exclusive on a Savage Fluted Stainless bull barrell. $750 and you get a heavier 24" barrel, accutrigger and accustock. I like the long range hunter stock but the barrel, doesnt compare to the SS fluted bull. And the the 6.5 shines with a stouter barrel. Dont really need the muzzle brake on the 6.5 either especially with the accustock.

Fluted bbls are for looks..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

The only problem with the 284 win brass is getting it they only make this once a year my brass was backordered for nearly 3 months, however it dose shoot better than the lapua brass and is much cheaper.

John

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom