60# Bows

M

MBM

I am going to be getting a new bow this winter and I have been trying to decide what poundage to get. For the past 20 years I have been shooting bows in the 70-80 lb range. This new bow though I am seriuosly considering dropping down to 60#'s. I cranked my current 70# bow down to about 62# and it sure is a pleasure to shoot, I am a lot more accurate and i can shoot longer. I do notice the drop in speed and the need for larger pin gaps. How many of you out there are shooting bows in the 60# range and have you had any problems with penatration or shooting at animals?

Mark

I shoot a 60 lb bow and have shot 3 deer this year and every one has been a pass through. Last years muley was a pass through as well. Every deer I have shot with a 60lb bow except one was a complete passthrough. The one that wasn't still died within site. A 60lb bow will have enough kinetic energy to take any north american game animal you will want to take. You will get more than enough speed out of todays modern compounds at 60lbs to shoot quite flat. I wouldn't worry about going to a 60lb bow. No need to put more stress on your shoulders than is needed.

I agree with Saskman 100%. I shot a Hoyt Raider instinctively from age 13-18 and had pass thru's on 6 out of 6 bucks out to 50 yards and was shooting 40-55 lbs. That bow was pretty slow, old school, didn't shoot flat at all, but still did the job I needed it to. Any new bow set to 50+ lbs will have plenty of K.E. to kill and will shoot a lot flatter than the older bows. This year I shot my Trykon at 72 lbs but it would have been more comfortable to shoot around 60. Only reason I chose higher poundage was so I could practice longer distances and have more pins and tighter gaps between pins. Next year with a Katera or Hoyts brand new bow I'll probably shoot 60 with the added speed and add a Sure-loc to my set up. Good luck and if you make the switch pm me and let me know what you think, i'm interested.

~Z~

I just got my first ever 60# bow. I got a hoyt katera, 60# 27" draw. i've always shot 70# bow cause I thought I needed that with my short draw. after shooting my katera i find it way better and way more accurate than any of my 70#'rs. I guess it's because I get to shoot more in one practice session. plus it is still a little faster than my 07 switchback xt at 70#'s. i probably won't ever go back to a high poundage bow for hunting here in NM again.

Since 1982 all my bows have been 60-70 lb draw weight, until last year when I bought a 50-60 lb Drenalin which I keep set right at 60 lbs. I find it is much more enjoyable and easier to shoot and I'm glad I made the change. I've shot one mulie buck and one cow elk with it and both have been complete pass-throughs right through the ribs. By the way, I also use the G5 Striker broadhead and really like it.

Most newer bows simply perform way better than the older crop. I've had all pass throughs with my old High Country form the early 90's and it shot 230 fps with 400 grain arrows at 67 lbs. My current Hoyt Ultratec cam.5 shoots a 400 grain arrow at about 260 fps at 63 lbs. If I weren't such a lame hunter I might actually have a chance to see how it performs for real rather than just by the numbers :)

Cheers,
Pete

I shoot a Bowtech Tribute at 67#. My bow shoots right at 305fps with 28" Easton Axis and 100 grain Wasp broadhead. I can shoot well out to 70 yards with it. This year I had a complete pass thru at 30 yards on my deer. My first bow was set at 80 pounds which was a PSE. I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Disease 3 years ago. While goin thru treatments of Chemo and Radiation I still bowhunted. I bought the new Bowtech that year and set it at 60#'s and worked my way up to 67#. Pullin a 67# bow is alot easier than pullin a 80#. I can shoot better groups and shoot for longer.

Dave

I shoot 61 pounds.....complete pass-thrus on elk, deer, bear, pigs. It's more than adequate.

BOHNTR )))---------->

>I shoot 61 pounds.....complete pass-thrus on
>elk, deer, bear, pigs. It's
>more than adequate.
>
>BOHNTR )))---------->

I agree 110%! I shoot 62 #'s now but I have also had complete pass thrus with a 53 pound recurve on deer and elk. Just put the arrow where it belongs and let a sharp broadhead take care of the rest.

I shoot a 2005 Bowtech Allegiance at 70 lbs. Not the I regret it but I do wish I would have dropped down to a 60 lb bow. I love the bow but cant practice as long as I would like. I may be in the market here pretty soon for a new bow? now if I can just get the little lady to agree with it. :)

As I mentioned I do love the bow, would anybody think it would be advantageous to buy 60 lb limbs for it verses a new bow?

GBA

Bowtech limbs are about $110 a pair. Barnsdale limbs, which are considered to be one of the best in the business are $150 a pair. Its a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new bow for $800. Guess it all depends on what you want? The allegiance is discontinued.

I have only been archery hunting for 5 years now. I have killed 4 bulls, 1 buck, and a bear, all with a 60# bow. Only had 1 that was not a pass through, because of the angle. I think 60# is plenty for anything in North America.

i shoot a 64# xforce 6 and its faster and more kinetic then all of my friends bows at 70# very happy and best of all i can shot it all day

i shoot a bear a at 57pounds and i shoot out to fifty yards no problem and a 60pound bow these days is like a 70pound bow te years agoe so 60# is fine.

A 60# bow will kill everything that walks in the lower 48. Some of us older guys used to shoot 80lb bows when we were younger just to get the speed. Too many of us have had to have shoulder operations do to the high poundage toll on our shoulders. Technology is much better today and they have reduced the vibrations in bows to where it's almost nonexistant and I doubt many of you will suffer the same fate. But why shoot the heavier bow when you don't have too to get good speed? Like many have said you'll be more accurate and can actually shoot longer and won't have to fight the bow with more movement that's detectable by the animals we hunt. There's really no advantage anymore except for the ego and that's only as fragile as you make it. 60# bows just plain get the job done especially with the arrow selection and cams we have today.

I switched to a mathews 60# bow two years ago! Last year I shot a 320 arizona bull with it, this year I just shot a 140 south dakota whitetail with it. No problems with penetration!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom