61 Elk Pts Opinions??

Riggo

NR has the nightmare on pts st.game happenin-great post by the way! I have 17 pts and have been trying to pull the muzzle tag for a # of years. Hence the pt creep. Been there to scout [twice] and know where I'm headed-I'm just nearly on the verge to try the earle rifle gig instead. If it would be "early" like in 2 or 201 maybe, but i'm afraid of missing the rut/action. I really don't have the time to put into the bow hunt {2 youngsters} and I'm 16-17 hrs out 4 the drive, so ya know. Anxiety

Any of my fellow members have an opinion or that are into the #'s game of draw odds would be always appreciated! I have a few weeks to make this decision. It appears its a matter of whos in and whos not at this point 4 the muzzle.?? I have a brother that insists of going to 2/201 or nothing and he may get nothing if not careful.18 pts by the way. I just want to bail on the CO pts deal , but want a good trip as i had on my scouting trip--wow. This decision really affects my my stratagy on both the CO deer and WY draw as well, I guess thats my nightmare

I'm confident that others have been in this position that can give a bit of advice--after all--I just got that "unsuccesful" on my NM ORYX drawing. 7th year running.--Thanks in advance!!
Riggo

I'd stick with the muzz hunt. With the first season being pushed even farther into October, you'll see less rutting action, though I've HEARD their still bugling pretty good. You are right in there with pts and stand to draw this year.

Assuming no new people with more points put in, there would still be 13 people with 18 points putting in this year. So you are still at least 3 years out. In the third year, you would have about a 60% chance of drawing. Again, that assumes all people who put in this year keep putting in and no new blood comes in. All things considered, I suspect you are at least 4 years out. Some point only people always seem to put in.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>NR has the nightmare on pts
>st.game happenin-great post by the
>way!

It is a Dadgum nightmare . lol ...Your in a better position than I am , but still have a dillema... Best of luck to you in the draw.

I'm a feeling like leaving w/ the big girl-just not Rosey. I keep wanting to do a 14 day bow hunt but the personal consequences aren't hardly worth it if i have to stay the full 14 or need to push it longer. Does anyone really know why 61, as one of the really big 5-6 draws hasn't done the "early rifle"??? I know 76 has an early season and it sounds pretty good--I just haven't spent time there as i did in 61. The season structures really have just been set as well, so The nightmare continues.

I really do appreciate any/all opinions- Best of luck
Riggo

Last fall was the first for the "early" rifle in 76. Have not heard any buzz about doing that in 61 and if they did you would probably have the same problem you are having now, with max point guys switching to that hunt. Have not hunted either unit, but I hear that 76 is a fantastic hunt if you want to see lots of elk and if you are interested in a 300ish bull. 61 has potential for bigger bulls if you are lucky.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I am right there with you Riggo, NR with same points...looking at the same hunt/hunts.

I agree with txhunter on his numbers.

I have decided to sideline it again this year but it will not be much better next year.

I am also tired of the elk point game in Colorado and would like to be out in the next few years.

Last second thoughts?? Sent for the muzzle tag deer on a 50% draw. And yes sent for the muzzle bull tag with no intent on drawing. Wouldn'tr i still be thrown in with the folks for that minute percentage?? You know--gotta have 5 before they do this.
Good luck to all 4 the draw.
Riggo

I will try to help answer the question about the rut, I have hunted 61 early rifle a couple times, one time they were making some noise, weather was cool, and the hunting was great, a couple years later the weather was warm and it was not so good, so I would say it could go either way. Oh Im a nonresident and used to draw that first rifle hunt with 2 points, its sad to see how things have changed.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-11 AT 07:21PM (MST)[p]I don't know what was happening above. I clicked to post the message, and kept getting a strange response. I exited and re-entered the forum, and it wasn't there? Beats me?? Sorry.

I'm interested in 61 because I applied for 1st Rifle Bull Elk with 16 NR PP's. I'll be 68 years old this season and am growing weary of the PP creep. I just hope that I draw. If I do, I will gladly accept any suggestions that are offered.

Before you die.....Take time to live

if you draw you can p.m. me and i can tell you all you need to know about unit 61 1st season. i drew it last year Dale

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom