62 Water And Cattle

NebrCatMan

Last year a buddy and myself bow hunted the last week of bow season in the north half of GMU 62 along the divide road. We saw elk but we saw more cattle then elk........a lot lot more. We found water about every where we hunted. Wallows on the mountain sides....small ponds and drinking holes........even the streams were running clear up in their headlands. My question is when it is this dry and I assume it is in Colo., I am pretty sure the water will not be everywhere, do the cattle not graze where there is not any water. Surely the ranchers do not haul water for their herds. And what will this do to the elk? We are heading back to 62 again this year........hopefully if it dosen't burn.

Well, you are correct, it is dry this year, and other than that, I don't have an answer for you.

If there is cattle out there, and there isn't enough water, then they will have to haul it. But, I doubt that it is that dry. Right now, it is raining out there....and from the look of it, pretty hard. About 3 weeks ago the weather pattern, all over Colorado changed. We were burning up, 2 significant fires going at the same time and a minor one near GJ, and several others. The rain changed that. We hadn't had rain in about 2 months, or more. Now, the monsoon flow is on and rain in the afternoon is the pattern for much of the state. I haven't been out that way, but I would expect that you'll have at least small amount of water out there and at the present rate...at least a moderate amount of green vegetation.
John 14:6

their is always water even in a drought. if its dry enough yes they will haul water but were not to that point .

The rain has helped a ton the grass is in great shape and the water holes are looking good. I was up scouting last weekend, set some trail cams and saw plenty of elk.Saw plenty of cattle also...... If we continue to get rain it looks like it will be a good archery saeson .....CANT WAIT

I am glad to here you people are getting some rain. Here in South east Nebraska we are burning up. Dryland corn that could have made over 200 bushels per acre is all but gone. Probably won't do over 20 or 25 bushels per acre if any at all. The pivots are even looking not the greatest. The wells are running nonstop. And our cattle are really starting to ride the fences because the pastures are gone. Yard grass is dead or dormant. But the deer seem to be growing larger than normal racks based from my trail cam pictures. Came thru a very easy winter last year. No stress.......or very little. Will be in 62 last week of bow season. Some where around Snipe Mountain.........or in general area. Thanks to those who responded. Nice hearing from ya!

We are going to be in same general area Snipe, Brushy during the last week of archery as well. We will be staying in one of the private land cabins right there. I drew a deer tag and will be concentrating on a buck. I just tried to order a bear tag and seems like they are already sold out.

Maybe bump into ya deerologist. Hunted that area last year and saw some pretty nice muleys. A couple were pretty close, even I could have hit them with an arrow. We are bringing a wall tent and all the goodies,(stove ,outhouse, shower, cots,etc) so we really are not roughing it too bad. I too tried to get a bear tag and it seems if you don't do it right away the first morning the tags become available you are SOL! Wish ya luck and just enjoy the trip !!!

We probably will see ya up there! We are gonna be in the cabin between Snipe and Brushy. Hopefully there are a few good bucks up there this year and the elk are rutting.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom