66 vs 67

Wannabe

So I've been doing my homework on a archery elk hunt and want somewhere with a chance at bucks also. With the hopes of going back during rifle deer in the same country. 66 and 67 have my interest and from what I've found 67 seems to have more non motorized country, is there non motorized trails in 66 also? Also what the pressure, glassing opportunities and how rough the terrain is in one unit vs the other? I know deer numbers are down and have looked at the success rates for them and elk. We'll have horses and prefer to hunt away from roads.

Anyone willing to share some info would be appreciated.

66 is the better elk unit in my opinion, 67 has less roads and ?get away? places but I don't think you will ever truly be alone in either unit. Deer is simply what you make it in either unit.

I've done 67 solo archery, for last two years. Steep on foot. Only folks I ran into had taken horses up. I do 2 x 7 day spike camps up high each year and have only run into people twice in 28 days.

It's not teeming with elk but they are up there. I've seen elk each trip, within 30yds but never had a shot...maybe this year.

Took a spotting scope 1st year but ditched it (weight). It's pretty thick. Good set of small binos are all you really need.

Had a couple of easy shots on deer (one doe one buck) but passed, as was focused on filling the elk tag.

Even though most of 67 is non-motorized, unfortunately, there are still folk abusing it with quads.

Good luck. Both units look pretty good to me if you're willing to hike 2-4 miles from trailheads.

I'm not an expert but my experience scouting 66 is you will struggle finding deer. They are there but density appears to be low after 2016-2107 winter. Saw plenty of elk though.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom