6mm load for antelope/deer

muleybucks

LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-09 AT 05:26PM (MST)[p]I recently purchased a REM 700 6mm from a buddy and got a box of reloading dies and various bullets (brand/style/weight) with the gun. There are a handful of each bullet, but with all the new bullets out there, I want to start off by building a good load (possibly with newer bullets/powders), not with just what's "in the box".

Does anyone have a load for the 6mm(powder/bullet) that they like for antelope and/or deer?

I have 2 young boys who will be hunting in the next couple of years and will get them out shooting this season. This rifle hardly kicks and will be perfect for them. I am leaning toward the 85-100 grain bullets but will consider any input.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Muleybucks

[email protected]

Muleybucks, Congrats on getting the 6mm, a fine smaller cartridge that does a fine job on deer and smaller sized game. With your two boys coming up, it would be hard to pick a better gun-cartridge combo for them to learn on and take their first deer.

You may want to check and see what rifling twist your barrel has. Some of the earlier 6mm's, also known as the .244, had like 1 in 12 or 14 inch twists, meaning the rifling groves made one full twist every 14 inches. For decent accuracy, his type of twist would be far better suited for the lighter bullets. I believe though, that you will find your twist rate to be about one twist in every nine inches of barrel.

If so, the 100gr pills will shoot well and are an excellent choice, i've taken much game with that sized bullet in factory ammo, have lots of confidence in the cartridge, and with no problems what so ever. Take your pick, i'll offer no loading recommendation, have not loaded for that round myself, other than to say that there's lots of good ones to choose from. My vote; the 100 grainers. :)

Joey

I dont have a 6mm, but out of the 6/06, the nosler 95 grain BT does better than other BT's i've used, and shoot great.

so at 3000 fps out of the 6mm, i can recommend them. RL22, IMR or H4831 or even the old IMR 4064 are all good powders for that case.

also, the good ol' hornady interlock in 100 grains would not be a bad choice, i've pushed them at blistering speeds out of the 6/06, and they still did well on deer.

Sageadvice and REDDOG,

Thanks to both of you for the input. In my "box of goodies" was a plastic shell case with a handful of loaded bullets in it. The inscription was WINOS 95grBT. The load was with 44gr of IMR (4-something--can't recall from memory but it was listed) and had 3150fps velocity. This sounds like a similar load to yours, REDDOG.

I am going to call my buddy and see if that was his hunting load.

Again, thanks for taking the time to offer the input.

Best wishes for you this hunting season.
Muleybucks

[email protected]

I load a Hornady 87 grn. HP over 45 grns. of IMR4350 shoots great in my rifle.Arround 3250 FPS and 3 inch groups at 300 yards. Does great for antelope.

6mm is a great cal. i have a 243 and i have been loading 85 grn TSX with IMR 4831 and they shoot awsome. i shoot a rem 700 and i can shoot half inch groups at 100 yrds and a few weeks ago i shot 5 shot from 500 yards and all 5 hit the paper plate. i have also shot coues out to 40 yards with this load and it dumps them. have not used it on a mule deer yet but im sure it will do just fine.

Shoottillthedustclears and REM308,

Thanks a bunch for the input.

I have switched to the Barnes 168 gr TTSX for my .300Rem SAUM and love them. This is one bullet I would like to explore for the 6mm.

I appreciate the input.

Good luck to you this hunting season.
Muleybucks

[email protected]

I am using the 95 gr hornady sst out of my 243 and shooting a little under one inch groups with doing nothing other then playing with powder charge. Hoping to use them on some whitetail this fall.

muley,
Your boys will love you for starting them out on a mild shooter like the 6mm. I weaned my boy on a little 257 Roberts, which is very similar and he learned to shoot that gun like a champ at age 12. I took him to Wyoming that year and he killed a dandy 15+inch buck on a left over tag. While I can't give you loading advice I will say my gun shoots 100g Nosler partition pills like a champ. The key to my son's success was rock busting! I would take him out in the desert every few weeks and we would get in an isolated canyon and shoot at rocks from different positions and different angles. It was a fun game for both of us. I would range them and have him shoot. It taught him to get on targets much quicker and by the time the antelope tag came around he was sure he could hit anything!
Nothing better than hunting with your son---or daughter if she will go! Good luck.

I shoot the 95 gr. Nosler BT's out of mine with 48 grs. of H4831sc with a Federal 210 Primer and play with the seating depth, you'll get SubMOA groups with this bullet if your gun likes it

I've got the .244 Remington and have had great luck with the 85gr. Nosler Partition @ 3400fps. It has been very effective on deer, antelope, and even one cow elk @ 175 yards. The shot on the elk was a complete "pass through" the chest which impressed me. I took a doe and buck antelope, both @ ~600 yards with this bullet, and both shots were still "pass throughs" even at that range. The Partitions have never let me down! Good luck and enjoy a great and pleasant cartridge!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom