6'oclock hold description

COLOelkman

Very Active Member
So I've read several posts noting they use the 6'oclock hold position to enable seeing the target better at longer distances. I'm not 100% certain how that works exactly and some people said they have a hard time shooting that way.
This scenario uses a rear peep sight with a couple options on the front sight but as Marley suggests, the front sight filed down to a point (tip of triange at the top of sight) in lieu of using a bead seems to allow for a bit more accuracy. (assuming your eyes can focus enough on the sights and target which could be a challenge for some of us!!!)
So, can someone please describe exactly how the front sight and rear peep are oriented relative to the 6'oclock term? A picture seems like it would be easier to understand if anyone can figure out how to do that!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the hand drawing but I think you'll get the idea. The top one is the average front sight. The problem isn't the 6 o clock hold, it's the left right orientation because of the size of the top surface if the sight. The bottom one is mine. Helps with the left right orientation.

7331image.jpg

The front post is always centered in the rear aperture.

In shooting any High Power rifle event, the black bull eye is 6 Minutes Of Angle, 6 inches in diameter if shooting 100 yards, 36 inches at 600 yards, 60 inches at 1000, you get the picture. That gives a bull that you can see to reference your front post against.

Using the 6 oclock hold, you would bring the front post up until it just touched the bottom of the black, at 6 o Clock. Picture a pumpkin on a post. Your rifle would be sighted in 3 MOA high to strike the center of the bull in a match.

If you sighted in your muzzle loader at 200 yards, and wanted it dead on (shooting to the post) at 200 yards, and you were shooting with the 6 o clock hold, you would adjust until your bullets were striking the bottom of the bull (where you were aiming). obviously

A center of mass hold would be bringing the front post up to the center of the bull.

Ryan V

LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-13 AT 11:32PM (MST)[p]Thanks Marley and Frontier. That's what I thought but wanted to be sure. I plan to experiment with small triangles and see what my eyes can focus on before I buy something. I like my hooded Truglo front sight and I may start there. Will post my experiments later. Thanks guys!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom