7 bear points

Robiland

Very Active Member
I have 7 bear point this year for Utah. Just trying to decide what to do. Is the spring hunt worth it on the San Juan or should I hold out for a local area (central Utah, Utah county)? With the new rules, I might want to hold off and see how things play out.

Any ideas or help would be great, Thanks!

What new rules? I only found that manditory GPS for bait stations as far as new rules. I have read it cover to cover a few times. Am I missing something?

The new spot and stalk hunts should make the draw odds better. I'd go for it. San Juan is a great bear unit.

Good luck.

Robiland

There are good bears down south along with central UT. It all depends on what you have time for, if you're limited then close to home makes sense so you have more time to hunt. I spend a lot of time down south and really enjoy it, but it is far enough that you will want to make a trip out of it. Are your falls busy with deer and elk? Maybe spring works so your falls are free to chase other game. We have a lot of potential changes coming down the pipe, if this is the year your ready to kill a bear then make it happen. Even with all the people that are in the woods their always will be quality animals to harvest, if you're willing to put in the time. If you need any help your more than welcome to call or PM me and pick my brain.

Good luck on making your decision,

Just_A_Hunter

The LaSal and San Juan units have shorter fall dates this year, along with 30 additional spot stalk tags on each of the two units.

Tee Hover
www.coldnosedoutfitters.com
www.facebook.com/coldnosedoutfitters

Do you want to hunt with Bait or dogs? San Juan spring gets a lot of pressure from hounds and lots of non residents pursuing bear. I spend a lot of time on SJ and I like it but there are a lot of people.
We killed a real good bear on SJ last year, but we treed a lot before we found one good enough for us.
One thing is for sure, the bear hunts will change from now on. Don't know if if will be good or bad but it is changing.
I also agree with what Tee said. Depends on where you live and how much you want to travel. The shorter Fall hunt on SJ will hurt that hunt.
Feel free to pm or call me if you have any other questions.
Good luck
Kurt
435-820-0963

You say "Holding out" for something closer to home. I would think your draw odds would be better closer to home. San Juan is a pretty tough draw but would be an awesome hunt. Good luck to you whatever you decide.

I've been looking into burning my 10 points on La Sal premium as I'm also concerned about the changes.

One more thing to keep in mind, this is a 3 year plan/guidebook.
It should stay this way, other than hunt dates, and that will
just be opening and closing dates......
I believe I saw were the quotas, and permit numbers stay the
same til 2015 as well.

And ya,,,,,Ive got 7 points too. Might go with Manti/north
and get it done......After all , I'm looking at the Manti/north unit as I type this out my living room window.... Happy :)

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

I have hunted archery LE elk in the mantle both area a few times and have seen several bears. That an area I know really well.

Lots of choices. If I do the manti north, I would probably do fall. Just so I can hear those bulls bugling.

Robison, I have been on the San Juan spring hunt with buddies quite a few times. It is a great hunt. That being said we have hunted bears right here close to home as well. What is your plan? Bait or Dogs? I do agree with your thinking if you decide to try your luck around here I would go for the fall tags. We have always used dogs, but when it's my turn I am hoping to hunt with my bow over bait.

borntohunt

I have access to dog if wanted(if he keeps them another year). I also have access to all the bait needed. I own a restaurant. So I have plants of food waste. So I am not sure yet. I will probably do something close by. I still have a few days to decide.

Let me know what you decide. Also if you need any help, I would be more than willing. If nothing else I will keep my eyes and ears open for big bears.

Dan Ewing
borntohunt

Dan, I forget your user name. Good to hear from you again. I will let you now what I do. I am thinking on staying here close by. I want to shoot with my bow but not against the rifle. So bait or hounds? Still in the air, but I have tons of bait when needed. If you need any bait, let me know. I will save it. What are your plans? What about other hunts?

Keep in touch!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom