7 LB Rifle

RHarris

On another post someone spoke about building a 7Lb rifle. I am in the process of trying to build my own rifle and light weight is my goal. So my question is how do you get there. Is the majority of the weight in the barrel? I am building off of a Remington Model 700 action in a 7MM.

Thanks
Rh

A couple years ago I bought a stock Remington Titanium chambered in 7mm SA and had a gunsmith flute the barrel for me, and then topped it off with a ziess conquest 4.5-12x40 scope and it weighs in right at 7 lbs. It has been one of the best guns that I have ever owned and it did not cost as much as a complete costom rifle would have...

That may have been me who said that. A few years back, i had a 25" custom match grade barrel put on my 700 action and a bunch of work to make up a real shooter in .280AI. Great gun and it really does all i could ask of it but it now weighs in at almost 10 lbs loaded, slinged, and scoped. The more i carry it, the more i wished i had gone lighter...i don't hunt it as often because so!

There are some really good threads of light weight builds in the recent back pages of the Guns and shooting Forum. Hardway has done some nice work in this area and presently has another build in process. Also Kimber, among a couple others, puts out great, not quite custom, guns already in that weight range. Good luck!!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON May-30-10 AT 08:50PM (MST)[p]Kimber Montana, Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x36mm, Talley LW lows, and you're there...

If you do not already have a smith contact Kevin Weaver Peyton Colorado. He likes to build off the Winchester Action and is known for his light rifles. If you want I will dig up his contact info.
Rick

You can put on an aluminum bolt shroud, spiral-flute the bolt, fluted or light contour barrel, light stock like McMillan Edge, use an ADL configuration to save weight over the BDL floorplate, foam recoil pad, Talley LW rings, wise scope choice.

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://dougkoepsel.smugmug.com/
CoyoteButtesSo_721.jpg

I was curious as to why you want to go with a lighter rifle. Say you drop it down to 6lbs +-, what is the benefit you are trying to achieve? Appreciate your response. Good luck!

>I was curious as to why
>you want to go with
>a lighter rifle. Say
>you drop it down to
>6lbs +-, what is the
>benefit you are trying to
>achieve? Appreciate your response.
> Good luck!

Uh.....because the guy probably carrys it rather than shoot it 99.9% of the time over rough terrain.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

To the OP.....Unless your doin it just because (and thats a valid reason)....get out now and go buy a kimber. You'll spend 2 grand trying to build what you can buy from kimber for a grand....JMO

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

>>I was curious as to why
>>you want to go with
>>a lighter rifle. Say
>>you drop it down to
>>6lbs +-, what is the
>>benefit you are trying to
>>achieve? Appreciate your response.
>> Good luck!
>
>Uh.....because the guy probably carrys it
>rather than shoot it 99.9%
>of the time over rough
>terrain.
>
>"A well regulated militia, being necessary
>to the security of a
>free state, the right of
>the people to keep and
>bear arms shall not be
>infringed."

Well yeah, figured that was part of it. I understand an extra pound can make a difference packing around some tough terrain, but it can also be a hinderance as well when it comes time to shoot, a bit out of breath and such...the lighter gun will move a lot more. Just curious is all...

>Well yeah, figured that was part
>of it. I understand
>an extra pound can make
>a difference packing around some
>tough terrain, but it can
>also be a hinderance as
>well when it comes time
>to shoot, a bit out
>of breath and such...the lighter
>gun will move a lot
>more. Just curious is
>all...

Using that logic you should sell your gun you use now and go buy a heavier one. A little practice is all it takes to shoot a light rifle.

I have a Nosler 48 .270 WSM with a Leupold Ultralight scope and Talley aluminum rings-it weighs just over 7 lbs with strap and loaded.

I too was worried about shooting it accurately but it shoots like a dream. A good crisp trigger set at 2.5-3 lbs has much more to do with accuracy than weight IMO. I believe weight is more of a recoil issue than an accuracy issue.

It sure totes alot easier in the mountains than my beloved(but heavy) Pre-64 Winchester .300 Win.

RE: Rifles Inc!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-10 AT 01:37AM (MST)[p]I agree with bogey 100%! Lex (Rifles Inc) will build you a super lightweight TACK DRIVER that will be a pleasure to carry anywhere and even when you are old and it is just a chore to get out of bed. I am a lefty and if I weren't I would have Lex build my next rifle from the Remington titanium action to save even more weight. I know there are lots of folks that think that I am crazy and would never even try a light rifle, but I on the other hand will NEVER pack a slug again! Happy shooting!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom