7 Pts. for deer??????

S

Slide

I'm not asking anyone where EXACTLY to go, but my dad and I have 7pts for deer. My dad is getting up there and I don't think he can hunt they way we do much longer, so instead of waiting for the dream tag like we were doing I have decided to just draw the best unit we can and go with my dad then to never get to go with him.

What I'm asking is if as a NR what would be some good units to spend 7pts on? I'm starting my research now hoping to have the info. by the time the draw rolls around. AGAIN, I'm not asking anyone to do my work for me just suggest some units to look at and I will choose a unit and find where to hunt in that unit.

We hunted 111-115 about 8yrs ago and saw alot of deer but nothing real big.

Thank you,

Slide

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-09 AT 02:29PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-09 AT 02:28?PM (MST)

We do a lot of hiking, put on the pack and go. Get as far away from the roads as possible. We have no problem putting in some miles, we have found the farther, harder you go the better the hunting and better caliber bucks.

We have an 80% chance of drawing the early hunt and 4% chance of drawing the late hunt in the unit you mentioned above. Is the early hunt worth putting in for.

It's just that my dad is almost 70 and I know he will not be able to hunt this way for much longer and as bad as I would like and wait for a premier tag I would rather go with my dad and have that memory than to go without him and maybe get a huge buck. It would be a better memory with him.

Slide

one thing you will find is the early hunts in NV are worm hunts. most of the time it will be in the upper 60s. There is allot of area to hunt in 6 but there are also quite a few roads as well. 7 has a huge wilderness area and there are good bucks in there. The best hunt for both of these is the archery hunts. once thay go hard horned thay can be hard to find in the heat but there there. I like 6, I have hunted there for the last 4 years with 3 bucks taken. 6 is the kinda place you can day hike or road hunt if you want but still be able to go places to get away from the people.

Do you mind telling me the caliber of deer you harvested the last 3yrs? My dad and I usually find a unit and once we draw we do a lot of scouting during the summer. Then we find an area where we can hike 10+ miles in a day, trying to get away from roads and people. I would like to find a unit that if I do my part research, scout and hunt hard I could harvest a 28+" buck. I know how hard that is to do, all I'm trying to do is find a unit that has that class of deer in it, then it's up to me to do the rest.

Thank you again,

Slide

The deer I have taken out of 6 have been in the 25'' range. I haven't been able to get on the 30'' buck the last 3 years. it will be hard to find a place in 6 where you can get 10+ miles from the roads. in 6 what you'll find is pockets where the other hunters drive or walk by and that's where you will find your big deer in 6. now area 7, 102-108, 111, 141, 114 are where you can put allot of room between you and the others.

Now do any of those units hold they caliber of deer I was talking about earlier? We know how hard it is to find a 30" buck but at the same time we would at least spend our pts. on a unit that has the possibility of getting a 28+" deer. I know most units have deer like that but some units are better managed and less hunted.

I really appreciate all your help, if you ever have questions ablout Calif., Or., Id., or Nv. 111-114 I will be more than happy to help you as much as I can.

Slide

If I was you this would be my draw choices
first choice by a long shot would be
1. 011-013 MUZZLELOADER
2. 171-173 Late Rifle
3. 101-108 Late Rifle
4. 032 Rifle
5. 061 areas Early rifle

PM me if you want to discuss further.

Hey Slide;
I'm kinda in the same position you are. Dad is 72 & wants to go, but limitations are coming into play. '03 I had a late 114-115 mzldr tag and took pops with me. He loved the place and 114 offers the way back you're looking for. Need more let me know.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom