7 STW

8mmMag

I was thinking of building a new rifle, a 7 STW. I am told this caliber is only good for about 700 rounds thru it, then the barrel is shot out. Has anyone had this rifle caliber before. What is your opinion? Thanks!!

Any extremly overbore round has the same tendency. I'd say you are good for 750-1000 rounds max depending on your firing patterns. Same as a 6.5-284 are far as barrel life. There are certain things you can do to the inside of the barrel to extend life. You're not giving up much compared to the regular magnums (7mm rem mag/300 win mag) that might get 900-1500 rounds out of a barrel with them. Go ahead and build one, great round!

>Any extremly overbore round has the
>same tendency. I'd say
>you are good for 750-1000
>rounds max depending on your
>firing patterns. Same as
>a 6.5-284 are far as
>barrel life. There are
>certain things you can do
>to the inside of the
>barrel to extend life.
>You're not giving up much
>compared to the regular magnums
>(7mm rem mag/300 win mag)
>that might get 900-1500 rounds
>out of a barrel with
>them. Go ahead and
>build one, great round!

30Hart, what can I do to extend the life of the barrel? Thanks for any help!!

I strongly believe that it takes 300-500 rounds of different ammo and powder combinations. And that is just to find what bullet, bullet weight, powder, powder charge, and seating depth your gun likes.

With such a short barrel life you'd be replacing your barrel annually.

That's my opinion but I'd like to see actual results of barrel life if you go throw with this round.

Good luck. Show pictures.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-14 AT 10:05PM (MST)[p]Barrel life is relative to the intended use of the gun. If it is to be used mainly as a hunter, barrel life of 1,000 rounds will give you a lot of years.
I built a 7STW about 20 years ago when it was still wildcat. After I worked up loads I only shoot it about 10 times a year to sight in and then one shot at the animal :), that's 70 years of barrel.
I like to shoot and have other guns that I really put the rounds through. Most of them are 22, 24, or 25 caliber.
After the round count gets up there most barrels don't just quit shooting, they just progressively get worse. Your idea of acceptable accuracy might be different for a 300 yd gun vs a long range gun vs a bench gun.

8501stw.jpg

8mmMag,
In the old days we used to use 8mmMag brass to make 7mmSTW.
You wouldn't happen to have any of that laying around would you?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-14 AT 10:36PM (MST)[p]> Did mine in 20 rounds
>once I pulled my head
>out of my @@@ and
>listend to what the STW
>guys told me..

20 rounds. Ha ha. Ya.

>8mmMag,
>In the old days we used
>to use 8mmMag brass to
>make 7mmSTW.
>You wouldn't happen to have any
>of that laying around would
>you?

I have about 800 rounds of new 8mm Mag brass, I shot a custom built 8mm Mag on a Winchester action. I love it, its my favorite Rifle!!!!

If it takes you 300-500 rounds to find a suitable load for a rifle, you are doing something very wrong. I'm going to the ladder test for my bigger cartridges. Saves on components and shots fired. LRH has a thread dedicated to the 7mm STW. Tons of info. mtmuley

And this is The problem with long distance shooters.

20 rounds behind a gun per year and you are ready to kill out to 1000 yards.

Happy wounding to you.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-14 AT 09:16AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-14 AT 09:13?AM (MST)

travis, who said I am a long distance hunter? And if I am it is none of your business. I do shoot targets at long range though. I was giving info to the op. To insinuate I will be wounding animals is out of line. And I'll bet money I send more rounds down range a year than you ever have. mtmuley

Mine is to finicky with vlds. I mean just a little different throw on the press would open my groups. It would shoot a 3" group at 500 with the vlds if loaded perfect. But when you got out of sync she open right up. Spent 200 rounds just to go back to noslers and a 5" @ 500 group. Btw I have killed animals out to 750 yrds with mine, but way to many variables to do it consistantly in a hunting situation. That being said, 600 yrds is the furthest shot I will take! That's if there in no way to stalk closer! If I had to do over I would buy a 300wm and go hunt.

You had best find brass before you buy the gun. I have 500 winchester and I wont sell just because you can't find them. Not cheap anyway.

The internet police I guess Bob...lol Nice groups with your gun. What charge did you go with? I would had to of tried 72 grains, with that pic.
I never tried the rl25 I was using h1000 165 vlds. May get with 7mmstw on lrh this summer and see if he will help with the 180S

LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-14 AT 01:37PM (MST)[p]I went with 71.5. I have a long history over on the LRH STW forum trying to get my gun to shoot in it's factory configuration. 7STW helped me a bunch. The updated gun shot 1/2 minute at 200 but was stringing at 400 for everybody that shot it so I finally listened to some guys and shot the ladder. Smartest thing I ever did besides the barrel and action work. I'll do more targets at 71.5 up to 72 over the spring to get some trigger time and dbl check my work but I'd hunt with 71.5 without worry.
I could shoot 1000 rounds this year if I had the brass. Gunna be tough to hold it at 500.

Yes 7stw is who I ment. He is not far from me now on the easternshore, what we call delmarva...Bob is good guy.

Some use velocity test to make final charge decision. Btw A guy has to consider brass life to extremes with its availability. The lower side at 71.5 may be a wise choice!

Yes, I agree, its very addicting shooting accurately at long range!

. To insinuate
>I will be wounding animals
>is out of line.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.

I think we both are agreeing on the same thing here. You aren't stating you only shoot 20 rounds and then are good to hunt/shoot at distance. (Correct me if I'm wrong). You were just saying that you can get your gun set up in 20 rounds but still practice on s regular basis?

I have my rifle dialed in using Bergers but decided to try the Sierras and Speers.

I load 15 rounds of each at a minimum load for two separate powders (so that's 30 rounds total for each brand). I then find the seating depth each brand likes by touching the lands then backing off 10/1000 of an inch.

I shoot over a Chronograph so I can accurately judge my velocities and see what each powder does in reference to temp, pressure, etc. So this in total gives me 90 rounds.

I have found that my gun does not like a certain powder so I now use IMR 4064. Now I hit the bench again with 15 rounds of each bullet shooting different powder charges to see at which powder level my gun shoots the best.

I'm putting 2500 rounds down range per year give or take about 500 depending on powder availability.

I wasn't trying to come off like a douche just stating my opinion. If you can do all of what I do in 20 rounds then you have more to offer the shooting world than any expert or writer I've heard of.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-14 AT 09:15PM (MST)[p]MTMuley didn't say he set his gun up in 20, I did. I have no inclination to do "all of what you do". I've been there and have no desire to go back. If that's how you set your gun up and it works, keep doing it.
I know what max charge is for rl25 and a 180 berger in a 7stw, I also know they'll shoot .00-.020 off the lands and also at 3.640 oal. No need for me to try and reinvent the wheel. I picked my jump and loaded from max going down .3 till I was 2gr under max. That's as low as I was going for charge weight. The ladder tells me the 2 best charge weights and a 6 shot target confirms it. At that point I'm darn close to 1/2 minute at 400 yards. If I want to fine tune my velocity for barrel harmonics I'll move my jump by .010", out to 40 or 50 off and shoot some 6 shot targets. At the point my confirmation targets are done, i havent shot more than about 20 shots and I'm ready to zero at 200, shoot in my 500 and 800 yard marks, print a tape and start spending quality time shooting.

These kids just think their the only hunters in the world that can shoot a rifle! We were shooting 2000 rounds a year 25 yrs ago..

LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-14 AT 02:03PM (MST)[p]8mm- Barrel life can be affected by many factors but I wouldnt be too worried about it on a hunting rifle. The STW is a great round and having 8mm brass available is great. Simply run them through a sizing die and you are set. Choose a slow burning powder like H1000,RL22 or RL25,Retumbo and start loading.

Also remember that most the time the barrel isnt shot out. The throat erodes leading to poor accuracy. If you get a barrel with a decent shank length you can always have the barrel set back and rechambered and keep shooting. Also a good custom barrel and even more important a good gunsmith to chamber the barrel will produce a fine shooting rifle for you.

Run a ladder or OCW test with your choosen bullet and powder and see what happens. If the results are to your satisfaction then load up more and start practicing. If not the maybe switch powders and try again. Not to hard to get the accuracy and speed you want without much work.

Travis- Your method seems to work for you but it seems like your wasting an awful lot of bullets. Look into the ladder or OCW test and I think you will be pleased with the results. You can still test OAL length but it sure helps find the node of a given powder/bullet combo easily.
Just curious I assume your running an 06. Have you tried H4350 and ramshot hunter?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom