700 Trigger

tailchasers

Long Time Member
Seasons done for my Rem 700 and noticed my accuracy start to faulted. This year I was fortunate enough to try several other rifles with various triggers and have come to realize my trigger sucks and am thinking my accuracy issue might be due to poor trigger performance. I have done 2 trigger jobs on the factory trigger and seems as time progresses the trigger reverts back to a harder pull. I have taken the stock trigger apart and honed the parts with a dremmel and reset to my liking. Seems to shoot great for a while then begins to loose its performance. Prior to reassembly in the rifle I dabbed finger nail polish on the set screws and with no movement noticed in the screws. This is the old style trigger and frankly am thinking a replacement is needed. I am somewhat familiar with Timney but have also heard of Shilon and Jewel but have limited knowledge about the later 2. If someone has some insight I sure would love to here it as if am going to replace the trigger then I would like to do it right. If there are other alternatives you might have such as even sending my stock trigger off for professional adjustment then please let me know. Thanks guys...

Al

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

LAST EDITED ON Nov-10-13 AT 08:07PM (MST)[p]Get rid of that "old style" Rem. 700 trigger. There has been numerous accidental discharges with that trigger. Even resulting in death on some occasions. It has a habit of firing when you disingage the safety and I have heard of it firing with the safety on. You can search it on the web.

The Timney is a good replacement, but I can not comment on the others as I am not familar with them. You might try to find a Remington 700 forum and search it for comments on the replacement of the factory trigger and the results of switching to a aftermarket trigger assembly.

RELH

I would also check for a copper buildup in the barrel. Copper buildup will decrease accuracy after sufficent buildup on the lands and grooves.

Copper fouling was my first look see as I shoot Barnes bullets. Clean the barrel regularly after every 12-16 shoots with Sweets and or Barnes copper solvent until no blue is noticed on the patch. BTW I also found Accubonds leave quite a bit of copper in the barrel too.

I do recollect some discussions about Remington trigger failures with the 700 but really thought it was due to someone messing with the trigger not knowing what they are doing. I don't need this happening.

You folks with the Timney have you any issue setting them to you liking?

When you order a trigger it comes preset to your specs. Mine have been right on the money. I have mine set at 2 1/2 lbs.
Don

LAST EDITED ON Nov-12-13 AT 09:57AM (MST)[p]"Quit cleaning that factory barrel. "

Huh? I'd like to hear your reasoning of that one.

Me, hate to go against the grain of excellent informed advice, but, I doubt you could do much better on the bench over a well adjusted 700 trigger. Most guys i know couldn't tell one trigger from another. I've had very good luck with 700 triggers.

Now, yes, there have been some problems reported an no doubt that some aftermarket triggers would be considered better but what you described... i don't know, things don't add up to me to be putting the blame on the trigger.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Nov-12-13 AT 12:51PM (MST)[p]

I spent 1 1/2 years trying to get my Rem 700 to shoot. Similar to the op, mine coppered up instantly. I always cleaned the copper out after each range session, usually 12-20 shots, and it took a long time to clean.
First bit if advise I got was to put forearm pressure back on the pencil barrel. Remington put those two bumps out there for a reason, you just need to adjust them a little. Business cards worked well for that.
Second bit of advise was to quit cleaning the darn thing every session. Groups again came down and stayed there till I got over the 50 shot mark. My rifle took 10-15 shots to get it to start grouping.
Those junk barrels are so rough they seem to need copper to smooth them out. Cleaning them every session reverts them back to square one just when they're getting to settle down. Everything I read said you gotta get the copper out and the reality for me was to leave it in, just as I was told.

Obviously every gun is different. I'm relaying the advise and experience of guys that know a lot more than me, and their advise worked. I spent a long time and over 300 rounds trying to get that gun to shoot. Granted, the op's rifle may act differently but the first thing I would do is let it build up over two or three sessions, making note of the groups. Adding forearm pressure and leaving the copper in it were the two biggest factors in getting my rifle to shoot.
Those things heat up and start throwing bullets too. Even waiting between rounds mine would still gradually heat up over the course of the day. That puts another monkey wrench in it.

I eventually got that factory barrel down to 2" at 200 yards, SOP was to put 15 "fouler" rounds thru it. When I did a new barrel and action work, groups instantly went to 3/4" at 200. No change to the old 180 Berger loads other than to re seat so they would chamber.
Last weekend I loaded up three Accubond LR 175's and those three shot less than .6 at 200. Still using the factory trigger.
The trigger might be causing the op to anticipate the shot, induce tension, and or flinch, so under those circumstances it might be a good investment.
All I can do is relay my struggles. It went against "conventional wisdom" and most of what I had read but in the end, the advise from guys that had actually been there and done it, worked.

WB, yes, that is against conventional wisdom but if it worked for you...

With the pressure bumps that you speak of, sounds like you are describing the 700 Mt Rifle? My Regular, granted they are older, 700's have none of these Bumps along the barrel channel.

My 700's seem to shoot fairly well until the get pretty dirty. When my groups start to open up i figure i need a good cleaning. My old chev truck is the same way with oil pressure. When it starts to dip a little, i know i need to add a quart.

Thanks for sharing your findings!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Mine started life as an SPS. My groups were 2"-4" so I never saw them open, they were already there. Just my experience with this rifle and something for the op to try. Worst case he learns how long he can go till it needs cleaning.
Hope your knee is doing better...

WB, My Knee. Weird how it went. About three weeks, the first being in intense pain, all the swelling and pain went slowly away and stayed away. I'm currently re-plumbing a house that partially burned and have been crawling under it every day for a week...no swelling or pain at all.

I figure it must have been something like arthritis or gout?? Hopefully a one time thing...thanks!

Joey

WB I have tried exactly as you mentioned and after 20 rounds down the barrel I could barely keep a 3-4 inch group at 100. I cleaned the barrel sent down 1 fouler and groups were back below an inch. Get back up above 15 rounds and the grouping grows. Not sure if this helps but the gun is from a mid 90's production.

I do believe the trigger is great after I tune it but the amount of pressure to release seems to increase over time. Maybe its me IDK but this is my only big game gun and I shoot it quite often and am very familiar with the rifle and how the trigger once was. My wife shoots an accutrigger, which I am no fan of as my 700's trigger was once better than hers but now the opposite is true. Feels like I have to squeeze and squeeze and squeeze applying more pressure until finally the trigger breaks. Takes forever... Wasn't like that once upon a time.

Appreciate the help!

Al

TC, no matter what i said about my luck or findings with 700 triggers, what you are describing is so not acceptable and you are right to seek a better situation. IMO, a trigger should break about the time or just before you expect it to go off. If any additional pressure is required, you are shooting yourself in the foot as far as accuracy and confidence goes. Like others here, i like my hunters to go off between 2 to 3 pounds at the most.

Why your 700 trigger is doing as you say, i can't say as it readjusting itself on its own doesn't sound normal to me and have no experience with that. Maybe though you do need further assistance if it with be a new trigger assembly or consultation with a very experienced gunsmith.

Joey

For an aftermarket trigger on a Remington I've sure been liking the Shilen trigger especially if you get it properly adjusted. I also have a Jewell on a couple rifles and have never had any issues with them but I've seen it mentioned they don't work well if they get even a little dirty. But overall the Shilen is nice, the trigger shoe is just right - not too skinny or wide.

TC- Have you tried a different spring? Order yourself a trigger spring from Ernie the gunsmith and install it then re adjust your trigger. Also another good practice is to clean your trigger after every season. Remove the assembly from the action and clean with lighter fluid. The old style rem triggers can be adjusted and stoned to be very nice.

I have not changed the trigger spring but for under $10 this might be worth the try. Also cleaning with lighter fluid makes sense as gunk in the assembly might be the cause. I clean the trigger each year but not like when I tuned it. Sounds like something worth a shot. Appreciate the tip!

If you want to have the best and forget about it buy a Jewell.

Stay thirsty my friends

A smith that knows what he's doing can work a factory trigger. I've had some done. Best 40 bucks I spent on the rifles. mtmuley

I rebuilt my old Rem. 700 ADL- 30-06 after getting a cracked stock and it started to do what you described.
Put it on a Hogue overmolded full bed stock, Brownells conversion kit(ADL-BDL), but I also put in a new Timney 510 trigger set at 2 3/4 lbs pull.
The original never had any of the problems of the later triggers,and I had it re-ajusted by a gunsmith, but the Timney is crisp and clean. Made a big difference in my consistancy in shooting. Go with the Timney.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom