72/73 4th season deer

gburk

I picked up a fourth season 72/73 tag for my son off the leftover list with no forethought at all. It popped up and I took it, figuring it couldn’t be too bad drawing out at four Nr points.
Looking at the units seems like lots of unhuntable land, lots of private, state, and the Ute reservation to the south. Some BLM in 72 and forest service in 73. Is this the kind of unit where there are big well fed deer but finding them on public is going to be a problem? Did I make a mistake? It was either this one or 44 ? ?

thanks for any information! Pms welcome

I’ve hunted it in 3rd. I’d take that tag in 4th. Look at the ponderosa belt off HWY 184.

I'm curious how you are getting the reissue tags are you just refreshing every 5 seconds then being fast to input your info, using an app? I only ask because I've had no luck, maybe just too slow? Congrats on the tag, kill a big one!

Yes pretty much, sometimes codes are gone immediately as if there’s a secret backdoor in use.

This is the only tag I have been able to get so far but the experience has proven to be significantly more fun than buying points.

Follow up - this hunt was very very tough. The deer were all on winter range, and 99% on private. Don't know if third season pressure moved them off BLM- there was sign there but no animals, with one exception that we saw, all season. Deer were not only feeding on private, they were bedding there too.

Only saw one other deer hunter which made me think that most tagholders were able to secure some private access? I bumped into landowner at a coffee shop and we got to hunt there some, but his property didn't attract much traffic.

Summer and transitional ranges (eg north of 184) were almost totally empty; we saw only one apparently celibate buck who was missing the party on winter range. Presumably this wasn't always the case for prior fourth seasons with earlier dates.

I wouldn't take this tag again. The impact of human activities on these deer was depressing, to be honest. We saw them lounging in front yards, impeding traffic on the roads, playing grabass with the family dog, you name it.. these deer love people and their food during the winter, and they saw no use for public land for bedding or cover.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom